ZOMBIE THREAD ALERT: This thread hasn't been posted on for a while.

Non weight-bearing positions for labour/birth

(7 Posts)
fridayatlast Sat 13-Jul-13 15:13:22

Being induced in a couple of weeks.

Problem is I am on crutches and can't put any weight on my left leg.

Any ideas for positions to give birth?

I want to be as active as poss and am planning to start off on the birthing ball as I have found that good with previous labours.

Thanks

Hawkmoth Sat 13-Jul-13 15:16:02

Could you request a birthing stool?

5madthings Sat 13-Jul-13 15:27:04

Birthing stool, alsp what about being in bath/pool. Tge pool especially will support you, tho you may need help getying in/out.

Some labour rooms have bean bags you can use to lean over and with lots of pillows you can get support from. Also some birthing places have hammocky/swing things you can lean on and will take your weight.

Have you asked your midwife what facilities youe hospital has? Talk it over with your midwife.

Also have youseen a physio or anyone who may be able to help.

jkklpu Sat 13-Jul-13 15:27:51

poll, definitely, if it's an option

fridayatlast Sat 13-Jul-13 15:49:20

Thanks so much for quick responses!

Birth stool and bean bags sound great. I will make an appt to discuss it all with my midwife before to check what they can provide.

I can't bend my leg, but I guess I could lean over a bean bag placed on the bed.

I would LOVE to get in the pool but I have a brace on my leg that I feel vulnerable without, and will be continuously monitored so don't think they'd let me in the water anyway.

Thanks so much x

5madthings Sat 13-Jul-13 16:51:22

I used a birth ball, with duvet thrown ovet it and loads of pillows to lean over and take my weight as well as a bean bag.

Even if you are monitered you dont have to stay on tge bed. I was monitered with no 5 and used birth ball etc. They will even put mattresses on floor etc if you ask.. Esp if getting on and off the bed is difficult. But the beds can be good ad they have moveable head end etc also good for leaning over and giving support.

GingerJulep Sat 13-Jul-13 23:50:39

Just for variety some ppl apparently like lying on their sides for some of the later stage... right side for you I'd guess!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now