38 weeks and back-to-back, will he turn?

(23 Posts)
LittleMilla Thu 11-Jul-13 17:02:55

He's been lying on my left side for ages now and despite my best efforts doesn't appear to shift. I'm in agony sleeping only on my left side and SPD makes many exercises very painful...although I'm still trying.

I'm hoping for a VBAC after elcs with ds1 (breech) but know b2b isn't great.

Is he likely to move once I go in to labour? I am very scared of having an emcs and just hope for a positive birth experience.

Summersun1983 Thu 11-Jul-13 19:44:43

My sisters baby was b2b when she went in to labour, very painful for her but with some effort and perseverance we managed to turn baby so she could be born normally. The midwives just sent her home in early labour with no help or advice on turning baby but crazy as it sounds, I googled it and found that it was possible to turn the baby by putting a hot water bottle at base of sisters back and getting her to rock side to side on all fours and bounce on birth ball. Apparently the motion of rocking and in particular the hot compress can make baby move, might be worth looking in to. Good luck xx

scoutfinch1 Thu 11-Jul-13 19:53:54

I asked the midwife about this at my last appointment and she said that 90% of back to back babies turn before or during labour. There is also a website called Spinning Babies that is often recommended on Mumsnet.

LittleMilla Thu 11-Jul-13 20:51:00

Summersun - that's helpful to know, thank you. I did a day course recently who also offered some exercises. I'm just getting panicky that I can move him but he always seems to revert back. Maybe just wait for labour?

Scout - I've had a look and many of the exercises seem to really exacerbate my spd. Although I'm doing one where I dangle off the sofa!!

Thanks both x

littlehelp Thu 11-Jul-13 22:12:34

Hello
I had my dd on Sunday and she was back to back very strong contractions in lower back manageable tho, she turned in second stage labour and all was well grin

littlehelp Thu 11-Jul-13 22:13:23

On and in labour mw had me on my side until I was pushing which is meant to help x

LittleMilla Fri 12-Jul-13 07:03:32

Really good to know littlehelp, thank you. And huge congratulations! x

LindsayS79 Fri 12-Jul-13 09:33:44

Don't stress yourself out about it. My LO was b2b when I was in labour. She turned most of the way herself and was given a wee hand by the doctor when I was pushing. Wasn't an issue at all.

KeepTheFaithBaby Mon 15-Jul-13 11:07:45

My DD went b2b somewhere in the 48 hours between
My MW review and labour. So yes they can turn either way! I had a pretty rapid labour so little time for pain relief. The contractions were painful but the pushing part really wasn't too bad.

JennyC80 Mon 15-Jul-13 17:53:23

One of my babies was back to back and I did give birth naturally. He also weight in 10lb. Don't worry you will be fine! X

LittleMilla Mon 15-Jul-13 21:48:19

Crikey Jenny, you sound tough!

I've actually started to get stretch marks on the lower left of my tum as I'm trying to sleep on that side only. Stupid really, considering so many of you saying it'll be fine.

Really, he just needs to blummin come out as that's the only thing that will stop more coming I think!

Ds1 was back to back. Then one night I was leaning against the bed on my birthing ball and felt the weirdest. Sensation ever, he turned. I got up lay on the bed and ran my hand down my tummy and felt his spine. I was 38 weeks. That night, my waters went, I went into labour and he was born the next day.

firesideskirt Mon 15-Jul-13 22:36:27

my baby was LOA until the scan I had the day before he was born, when he was B2B. I assume he moved as he was out in record time. Worry not. Good luck.

LittleMilla Tue 16-Jul-13 16:50:02

I've just had what the MW called a very successful sweep, so fingers crossed things will kick off.

Pattie- I'm intrigued on your position? Can you give me more detail as anything is worth a go!

Thanks x

megarobotdiscoparty Wed 17-Jul-13 12:27:20

Good luck! I spent my last few weeks of pregnancy flung over a birth ball and it did naff all to turn him. He turned at the last minute in labour - home birth with gas and air. Was gruelling but definitely do-able! Spent the whole of active labour on all fours which I think helped...was the only position I was "comfortable" in. You'll be great.

LittleMilla Wed 17-Jul-13 13:53:24

Thanks for the e assurance mega. I'm trying everything but he just doesn't seem to budge. DH keeps on saying that "mumsnet has told you he'll turn in labour so chill!"

Had a good sweep yest but nothing really doing. Getting myself in a tiz now that labor won't happen spontaneously because of his position. Although they said he's fully engaged which makes me think he can start this party!

Always something to bloody fret about when pg!

MammaCici Thu 18-Jul-13 12:00:29

My previously head down back to back baby turned during week 38. Unfortunately he turned into a footling breech position! He was delivered by c-section as a result at 38+3.

exexpat Thu 18-Jul-13 12:06:03

Both mine stayed back-to-back all the way through late pregnancy and labour, and were born face-up. I did try all the exercises supposed to turn them, but nothing worked.

Not the end of the world, though - I had quite long labours, but no pain relief, and only fairly minor interventions (episiotomies, as they were also both big, and they tried but failed to use ventouse on DC1).

holycowwhatnow Thu 18-Jul-13 22:53:32

I also had a b2b baby, wouldn't turn but was born naturally after an episiotomy. The pushing part was long but he was born safe and sound and I survived. And he had and has a huge head which probably made it harder.

LittleMilla Sat 20-Jul-13 09:05:28

Just to let you all know that I had my baby boy yesterday afternoon. All happened very quickly in the end - 3-10cm in 45 mins and he turned at some point along the way.

2nd degree tear but feeling ok.

Thanks again for words of encouragement!

emilyeggs Sat 20-Jul-13 09:23:02

Aww, congratulations thanks

megarobotdiscoparty Mon 22-Jul-13 00:47:04

Yay, hoped you'd be back with news! Glad it went so well and many congrats on your beautiful boy.

KeepTheFaithBaby Mon 22-Jul-13 08:13:50

Congratulations! smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now