Positive VBAC stories please!

(11 Posts)
sleepywombat Thu 11-Jul-13 04:53:07

This is for my friend. She had a terrible labour/whole hospital experience with dc1 and is very keen to do it as naturally as possible with dc2. Unfortunately the hospital is using scare tactics/bad statistics to encourage her to opt for another cs or at least go against her birth plan & be monitored to the hilt.

She is feeling very low about the whole thing. Please post stories/things she could tell hospital! TIA.

youvegottabekiddingme Thu 11-Jul-13 05:10:58

mine was fabulous, I could do it again! Actually I was given the choice but my midwife and consultant obviously preferred VBAC, as did I. It was extremely painful, as labour and childbirth is, but it was a million times better than having the C-section. I had had an emergency C-section two years before so they monitored me a bit closer during the labour, asking if I had any pain in the area of my scar and put a cannula into my hand, just in case. But it went smoothly, took ages and I was IN SO MUCH PAIN but it really was good pain because you know with each contraction the delivery is closer. Recovery was much faster, easier and I could move around. There is evidence that VBAC is safer than another section and of course the recovery is much faster. I'm sure you'll find something if you look it up. I delivered in Newcastle's Royal Victoria Infirmary. Maybe give them a call and ask them for suggestions of what she can say. All the midwives were fantastic there!

oscarwilde Thu 11-Jul-13 15:18:45

The hospital is encouraging a CS or monitoring? If the former, that's quite unusual so there must be a medical reason. If the latter, well, I'm inclined to say that they are the experts and see multiple vbac's a week so again, there's a medical reason.

I had an unplanned vbac with just gas and air when my DD2 decided not to hang about to my ELCS. 12 hrs from waters breaking to delivery but only about 8 hrs from regular contractions (3 mins apart) to delivery. More detail here
Personally I think meh - natural childbirth is not all it's cracked up to be. Pain was bearable, I was monitored but could move around a bit (hang over the back of the bed, bounce on a ball etc). The cannula in the back of my hand was the most painful thing actually - doubly so as they had to redo it later - yeouch.

The hospital must see successful vbacs every day of the week - I imagine that they are supporting her, just being realistic about setting her expectations and trying to reduce her medical risks to her and her child.

IMO you would do far better to support your friend that whether she has an ELCS or tries for a VBAC that she is already a great mum and the method of delivering her DC2 is irrelevant in the grand scheme of things.

sleepywombat Fri 12-Jul-13 01:22:26

Thanks.

you'vegottabe I will pass your message on, thank you very much!

oscarwilde, the hospital is just very negative about her chances of having a natural birth & keeps trying to persuade her to opt for cs. There are no medical reasons. They keep bringing up the 'big baby' card too because she is measuring huge, just like last time & her dc1 was 7lb.

I am very supportive & have done all the 'as long as you and baby are safe' etc many times. I have told her about my painful/traumatic & natural birth with my dc1. I have friends who have had both and prefer cs, and have told her this too! However, she is very emotional about the whole thing - starts to cry if you mention chance of cs/her first labour. She was very upset with how she was treated by the hospital & about the long recovery after cs. She is desperate to try for a natural birth and is just fed up with being made to feel that it will never happen.

Askja Mon 15-Jul-13 21:37:50

Well I can give you a positive story, hope it helps. I had a VBAC in February with no problems apart from a bit of tearing which healed fine. I had an EMCS for undiagnosed breech after being induced for preeclampsia with DD1. DD2 (22 months later) arrived in 2 hours flat at 40+5 with just G&A, no extra monitoring and she was 9lb2 as well (I'm only 5'2"). Would personally choose the VBAC over a section any day (although that's not what I said during DD2's birth...).

mummytime Mon 15-Jul-13 21:58:06

I had two VBACs. In the first one I started off okay, but as I had strong contractions but was hardly dilated I opted for an Epidural. In the end it took so long they wheeled me into the operating theatre and the baby was born on my last "push", I had no feeling (stronger Epidural because they were preparing for another CS), but could "sense" the contractions.
For the second VBAC I did it with just Gas and Air, as it was very very quick.

For your friend she needs to get some counselling about the first birth. Her fears and worries are not going to help.

emsyj Wed 17-Jul-13 21:20:41

I had a crash section with DD1 (severe foetal distress) and felt quite traumatised by it for a long time. I, too, desperately wanted my second birth to be natural but just didn't see that it would ever happen for me. I actually managed to have DD2 at home, bit of gas and air, no tears or stitches - it was amazing, and such a positive experience. I think it helped that I had a fantastic midwife who cared for me throughout my pregnancy and also delivered my baby.

AnotherStitchInTime Sat 20-Jul-13 14:32:02

Pm'ed you.

Needalifeagain Sat 20-Jul-13 14:46:37

Had a VBAC 6 wks ago after EMCS two years ago.
Was extremely quick. Waters broken at 3cm and 30 mins later DD2 born with ventouse as distressed with cord around neck.
Extremely painful, no time for epidural but definitely worth it. Recovery much easier and I had a quick recovery from section.
Would prob do the same if there is a next time but the speed and foetal distress do worry me.
First labour was 70hrs.

mawbroon Sat 20-Jul-13 14:47:19

I had an elective CS for DS1 because he was breech.

I opted for a VBAC for ds2, and luckily he turned head down before I went into labour. The consultant said the previous CS was a rupture risk, as was my heart shaped uterus, but he still gave me a 70% chance of a successful VBAC.

I had to have surgery on a bust ankle at 34 weeks and was still in an orthopaedic boot when I gave birth to ds2. I only had gas and air, but they used forceps in the end just to lift ds2 out. The midwife said I would have only have been another 10mins or so had they left me to it.

I was pleased with the way it went and don't want to think about what it might have been like recovering from another CS and a broken ankle at the same time!

Best wishes to your friend. I would recommend some of Ina May Gaskin's books to her. I read one which I forget the name of, which really made me feel "I can do this"

AnotherStitchInTime Sat 20-Jul-13 20:36:34

A lot of information your friend might find helpful I have posted on this thread.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now