Turned down elcs today but I`m freaking out now, can I change my mind? (36 + 2)

(8 Posts)
TeaForMe Tue 09-Jul-13 20:20:47

Bit of background, I had 3a tear with dc1 so was offered a cs this time round. Had appointment with consultant today to decide mode of delivery and after the briefest of chats (they couldn`t get my old notes up on computer and tbh I found it hard to understand what she was saying) I got the impression they didn't think a cs was necessary so I said I would have VB again. I was undecided before today what I would say but now having told dh what i said I am freaking out at the thought of another normal delivery. I feel really panicky about the whole thing and very upset.

Does anyone know if I can change my mind? Who would I contact? I don't have any more appointments at hospital.

Arse, why aren't I more assertive?

Rhubarb78 Tue 09-Jul-13 20:38:32

Sorry, no great advice except maybe try ringing your consultants secretary and explain things to him/her.

TwoTearsInABucket Tue 09-Jul-13 20:39:22

Hi! I have just posted on a similar subject. I had VBAC with 3b tear with DC2 and they recommended I have VBAC again when i had planned for ELCS.

When were you offered a CS? I wonder if their guidelines have changed recently?

I would contact your midwife first and then maybe try the consultant midwife at your hospital if your midwife can't do anything.

Don't see why it would be too late [hopeful]. I feel your pain.

TeaForMe Tue 09-Jul-13 20:46:58

Hi two years, i just read your thread. As soon as I mentioned at first scan appointment at hospital that i`d had 3rd degree tear before (also went to surgery like you) they booked me in for today's appointment and offer of CS. I didn't ask for the option, they just said they offer it to everyone with 3 or 4 degree tear automatically. Maybe it depends on your hospital. I hope you get what you want, be assertive (unlike me!)

TeaForMe Tue 09-Jul-13 20:47:29

Sorry, twotears not two years

TwoTearsInABucket Tue 09-Jul-13 20:54:03

It seems that different people think different things (unless I misinterpreted my midwife in my booking in appointment). She talked as if having an ELCS wouldn't be a problem but it would be discussed with consultant not her.

I get the impression that the hospital I am at might be trying to keep their CS rates down, but that could be me being paranoid.

Give contacting someone a go. According the NICE guidelines, if you still want a CS then they ultimately can't refuse you one, but you have to go and see some kind of mental health to do with childbirth person first and if you still say you want one then they have to give you a CS. An individual doctor can refuse but they have to refer you to someone who will.

Jollyb Tue 09-Jul-13 21:29:32

According to the Royal College of Obstetricians guidelines anyone who has suffered a 3rd or 4th degree tear with ongoing symptoms should be given the option of an elective section for their next delivery. Symptoms don't have to be severe.

www.rcog.org.uk/womens-health/clinical-guidance/management-third-and-fourth-degree-perineal-tears-green-top-29

I'd contact your midwife to ask if she can arrange for you to go back to clinic or alternatively your consultant's secretary.

HotSoupDumpling Fri 12-Jul-13 06:12:03

I'd think in these circs the consultant is likely to allow you to change your mind. Contact them as quickly as possible though, as elective dates get booked up quickly past the 36 week mark. I would call the secretary and explain, and request a face to face appointment with the consultant - if the secretary was difficult I would request phone number and email of the consultant and get in touch that way. Even a telephone appointment is better than nothing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now