Post birth Pre-eclampsia - elevated BP, swelling but no protein in urine

(12 Posts)
webminx Sun 14-Jul-13 20:56:37

Thanks all! Turned out just to be pretty bad post-birth swelling, which was made worse by the heat, me not drinking enough water and me stressing out about it all! Am now (almost!) back to normal.
Totally agree that worrying about the symptoms was really stressful - definitely didn't help keep my BP down! Good luck Gurraun - hope DS2 won't keep you waiting around in this heat too long and that your symptoms don't get any worse!

bunchofposy Fri 12-Jul-13 19:32:58

I had elevated BP post partum (no protein, some oedema), and was taken in after a week for monitoring as BP wasn't going down so if yours is going down that sounds promising.

I also found wondering whether my symptoms were worsening (as they kept asking) really stressful, so sympathise! Obviously understand why they are so vigilant though. Try to get some rest if you can. I think it didn't help me that I was just so utterly wiped.

The heat will def contribute to the swelling too. Poor you coping with the first week in a heatwave.

Congratulations by the way!

Gruntfuttocks Thu 11-Jul-13 20:32:20

I had very swollen feet and ankles for nearly a week post DC3 - I think the drip I had in labour may have contributed to the excess fluid on board - I had a big infusion at one point as my BP dropped with the epidural. The heat is certainly enough to cause ankle swelling for many people in this heat. Your BP is likely a bit high due to the anxiety and rushing around. I would definitely be vigilant for other symptoms, but with no protein in your urine and the swelling and BP dropping, I think you will probably be OK. Do try and rest!

missesjellybean Thu 11-Jul-13 20:32:03

I got so much swelling in my legs after ds was born that I could barely walk and definitely couldn't kneel down as I felt like my legs were going to pop if I did....can't remember about face though. I do remember though that I really wasn't drinking enough and think that had a lot to do with it. drink as much as you can and keep an eye out for any other symptoms like headache, dizziness, blurred vision etc. my swelling lasted a good few weeks I think

GrandPoohBah Thu 11-Jul-13 20:27:11

A lot of people told me that you're likely to swell up after birth; it could be just that.

I had pre-eclampsia, was induced at 38+4 because of it - but they weren't too worried about it until I had lots and lots of protein in my urine, and even then I felt ok in myself.

It took a couple of weeks for my BP to come back down; I was under MW care for longer than DD was! They just monitored me every 3 or 4 days.

lotsofcheese Thu 11-Jul-13 06:54:10

It doesn't sound like PE if there's no protein in your urine. I had severe PE & postnatal hellp syndrome with DS. With dd, I had ankle oedema - I think due to blood loss/anaemia/iv fluids. Did you have that?

Gurraun Thu 11-Jul-13 06:49:58

Hi

I am sorry I can't remember - it was all a bit of a blur. Are they going to take your BP every day? If so, provided symptoms don't worsen I think you can relax a little.

No help but my sympathies. I'm 38 weeks with dc2. Took 75mg aspirin to ward off pre-eclampsia until 36 weeks and yesterday my BP was elevated (high for me) with a little swelling and a trace of protein....

Good luck

webminx Wed 10-Jul-13 21:12:12

Hi Gurraun,
Thanks - do you know if your BP was clinically high, or just high for you?

Have seen MWs today also and they agreed with the GP + the obstetrician. Swelling reduced today in face, but still in feet/legs. BP is lower than yesterday but still elevated "for me", but not enough to be classed as "high" IYSWIM.

Gurraun Tue 09-Jul-13 22:39:45

I had post natal pre-eclampsia following an elcs. I had no symptoms other than raised BP. Hospital started immediate medication and still took 5 days until it dropped enough for them to discharge me. I hate to think of outcome if untreated.

It is a very unusual condition and you should go back to doctor tomorrow and insist on a second opinion.

webminx Tue 09-Jul-13 19:55:01

Thanks Dilidali - very helpful to know what actually to look out for!
Ihave been rushing about like a loon since baby was born, between him and the 3yo so going to chill out now, put feet up and keep an eye on things overnight as advised.

Dilidali Tue 09-Jul-13 19:23:10

Headache, visual disturbancies, decreased urinary output, nausea, vomiting.
Any of the above, call an ambulance.

webminx Tue 09-Jul-13 19:15:54

Had DS2 4 days ago. All fine, normal pregnancy and delivery. Day after birth, feet were swollen. This has got worse and now have swollen feet, face, hands and legs. Went to doctor today who check BP (elevated for me, but not "abnormal"), no protein in urine. She consulted an obstetrician by phone who advised it was unlikely to be post partum preeclampsia as no protein in urine and BP not classically high - said swelling likely to be normal postpartum oedema. Advised to monitor myself, go to A&E if symptoms worsen and was sent home.

How likely is this to be down to a newborn plus 3 yr old, no rest, the heat etc. What should I look out for as an example of getting worse? Am now very worried, which is in turn stressing me out, making me feel unwell etc?!?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now