Being induced: 2 failed pessary inductions so far...do I opt for c-section?(24 Posts)
Hi, I'm currently 13 days overdue with 1st baby. Decided to go for induction but with completely closed cervix (think bishops score was 0).
I'm now on my 2nd prostaglandin pessary and still nothing happening (bishops score now 1 but cervix closed still). I'm losing the will to live and so tired after 3 sleepless nights in hospital :-(
If this pessary doesn't work policy is to offer a third pessary or discuss options for c-section.
Does anyone have any experience of going for third pessary or should I just go for c-section? I'm tired and emotional argh!
Advice much appreciated!
I don't have any experience of either but in your position I'd probably go for c section. Poor thing you must be knackered. ( hugs)
Is there a reason you have been induced and not gone to 14 days over? Is it being in hospital that's keeping you from sleeping or are you having contractions?
Personally I'd try to wait it out a bit longer simply because of recovery times, but given the process had been started this will be much harder. Are you getting desperate?
I was 14 days over with DC4 and she came of her own accord eventually. I was desperate just not to be PG anymore and was at home so I can only imagine how you feel.
Also you don't have to go along with the hospital policy if you choose not to. Discuss any alternatives, the possibility of moving to a room from a ward, an epidural if you are in any pain etc. Whatever you think will work for you is the way forward right now.
End result is the same and you will be holding your baby soon. Good luck and more (hugs)
Hi Happy. I was in exactly the same position; 14 days over, cervix closed, two pessaries. The consultant and midwives came round, gave me yet another internal and I said, what do you think the chances are of me delivering naturally. They guessed less than 25% which made me opt for a c section. 3 hours later I was holding my baby.
By that point I was so keen to just get it finished that all my hopes of natural birth just flew out the windows. What I was desperate to avoid was a long knackering unproductive labour with the same c section result.
Recovery was ok, just needed to take it easy initially, but the same could be said for any delivery.
What ever you choose, go for what feel best. There is no right and wrong in this situation. Good luck and hope you are holding your baby very much soon.
I was induced at 15 days, and while the pessary "kicked things off", the labour didn't progress so I was prep'd for a c-section at 3am. Noone else in the birthing suite however and I was surrounded by a team of midwives convincing me to give it one more go. Forceps and a third degree tear....
Second time around I asked for an elective c-section. It was fab. I wish I'd had one the first time around - especially if you have not progressed at all with the induction, it may be more like an elective and less an emergency one.
For me (and there's no one size fits all), the c-section was easier and a lot quicker to recover from than the tear. But that's me.
Which ever way it goes - good luck ! It looks like it's going to be a warm weekend so getting it over and done with, and out of a tropical maternity ward sounds good....
I can only tell you my experience - not quite the same situation as the first pessary did start things off but there was a delay in breaking my waters because of staff not being available.
Even when the waters were broken (three days later) the labour didn't start properly and I had to be put on a drip. That gave me contractions but I never got past 7 cm and ended up with an emergency cesarean on the fifth morning.
That was four nights with practically no sleep and then I had a hungry newborn to deal with. I really regret going for the induction. If it was possible to go back in time I would go straight to cesarean.
I'd either have a section or go home and try again in another couple of days.
I went through the same thing that you're going through. I know every experience is different but I had such a terrible time I can only recommend a c section for you if it is an option.
My induction kept stopping so they ended up putting me on a super high dose of IV hormone to restart, then in the middle of crazy unnatural contractions my epidural failed & I had to wait two hours for the anaesthetist to return.
I eventually went to fully dilated & pushing but after a while it became clear the baby was not coming out. I was knackered - like you no sleep for days as well as insane labour for 48 hours. They gave me an EMCS in the end. If I could have had it at the beginning it would have been better. You still end up with no sleep afterwards as you're stuck on a ward but at least u haven't battled through labour as well.
I have my FX that things go well for you. Despite my horrid experience it was worth it & the moment they took my LO out of my tummy & I heard him bleat like a tiny lamb it was the most amazing emotional moment ever! C-sections aren't necessarily less emotional or bonding. He latched on an hour later no probs & we never had a prob BF at all.
Good luck! Come back & let us know how you are.
I went to a 3rd pessary and my labour got going about 2 hours later and then progressed very quickly and gave birth with a small tear a few hours later
5 hours after giving birth I was as home in my own bed with a sleepy newborn and I had the best sleep ever!
It is hard to sleep in hospital -if you go for the section you have at least another couple of nights in there
Ps very impressed that you have the energy to post here. By day 3 of my induction I was barely coherent.
Good luck x
Ohforfoxsake: thanks for your advice, no not having any contractions whatsoever. More just the fact that I'm in a four bed bay with women in labour all around me. No side rooms. As well as keeping me awake its not doing much for trying to keep the 'positive vibe' going!
Rikski, jollyb, queen of the holly: again thank you. All helpful insight and made me feel I'm not the only one in this boat! I think I'm leaning towards insisting on c-section if this fails. Just want to meet the little man now and I know the recovery will be tricky but I've got amazing supportive partner and family close by so lots of help available until I'm back on my feet.
Jollyb: yeah I also realise I will be in hospital for a few more days if I have c section but it will be potentially even longer if I take the third pessary as ill have to have another 12 hour break, then the third pessary for another 24 hours (potentially, if nothing happens again), then after that however long established about takes! So basically same timeframe for both anyway. At least with c-section ill have my baby with me is what I'm thinking.
I had an induced birth with my 1st. It was not pleasant (although got going after 1 dose of gel) and ended in forceps delivery.
I would ask what your chances are of needing a whole raft of further interventions for a VB (drip augmentation, ARM, episiotomy, instrumental delivery) - all very unpleasant. You probably won't get a straight answer but its worth asking. You need to weigh this against a planned CS with no further sleepless exhaustion but with the risks associated with the surgery and the recovery.
I had an ELCS for my second delivery and can honestly say the recovery was better: faster, less painful and the imposed 'rest' meant better bonding time with baby. You won't have anything to compare it to though so mentally you need to know it will be painful but that you will heal and you need to decide that it's the best option for you. I much preferred dealing with a wound and pain on my stomach than my vagina. Your pelvic floor will also be less damaged.
I was in exactly the same situation as you. 10 days over and induced (my hospital's policy is to induce after 10 days). 1st pessary I had some contractions that suddenly stopped after about an hour. 2nd pessary 24 hours later did literally nothing and my cervix was firmly clamped shut. I opted for a c-section (wasn't given the option of third pessary but wouldn't have taken it anyway) and was very glad I did because my baby's cord was very short and around her neck, causing her heart rate to plummet. Doctors said she wouldn't have come out any other way so better to have opted for it than ended in an emergency. Recovery was absolutely fine and I would definitely go for a c-section again. Best of luck!
You poor thing.
I was induced, but early at 36 weeks. Had 2 pessaries, both pretty much failed on me too. However, then they manually broke my waters and things started moving!
Personally, I was pleased I perservered. Yes, I was knackered. Yes, I ended up having to have forceps after pushing with no avail for over an hour at the end but baby arrived safely and I felt a sense of personal satisfaction (if that makes sense!)
However, my pelvic floor is buggered, that I shall admit to! And the episiotomy was generous to say the least, so that took some healing.
I would weigh my opinion based on what the doctors/midwives are saying, and how comfortable you feel with them. I 100% trusted my midwives, at the Liverpool Womens. Bloody brilliant hospital, so I just went with what they said.
Happy, I'm in the same boat and it's an ordeal!
One pessery, three gels and and doctor who sidelines as a farm vet and it's all come to naught.
I'm currently on a rest period until 10 am where they will see if anything has happened while not being poked
Good to read some of these accounts as I will have to make this decision in the morning and after being here since Tuesday with nay sleep I think cs may be the way to go
Hope all goes well for you whatever you decide ... Just keep you eye on the prize !
Pillowupmyjumper I feel for you, hang in there!
Jollyb: thank you☺now have a plan. Have had some contractions starting this evening quite regular. Being examined again at midnight when I'll find out if I'm dilated enough to have my waters broken and start the real work! Ive spoken with the doctors and refused the third pessary and If not enough change in cervix still, I'm nil by mouth from midnight for c-section in the morning! So either way hopefully by Sunday we will have our little boy!
Thanks everyone for your experiences and ill definitely take all this into account in my next pregnancy if I'm lucky enough to have one! x
Exciting times . Good luck to you too Pillow x
I had 3 pessaries. It was fine. My waters broke on their own (although I think the MWs had taken the chance to give me a few sweeps while furtling around). Contractions to 3cm, then it ground to a halt. Syntocin drip followed by 8 hours of labour and DD arrived.
Good luck - you are so very, very nearly there just a little more courage and strength.
Sounds like a really sensible plan, well done for making such a good one under the circumstances. I really hope all goes well and I'm so envious of the lovely newborn snuggles you'll be having soon!
I had the third pessary but nothing happened .. My induction started on Tuesday am and I insisted on c section on Saturday. My experience of c section was so positive I am booked for another on Monday good luck and don't be afraid to push for what you want. The midwifes said to me that after such a long failed induction I was unlikely to have a "normal " birth.
Does this baby need to be born or can he hang on even longer? C sections are not a huge deal these days and this baby is needing to come into the world. Does it really matter how - in the long run? Just ask the hospital saff to book you in and make a decision !
Join the discussion
Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.Register now
Already registered with Mumsnet? Log in to leave your comment or alternatively, sign in with Facebook or Google.
Please login first.