Bishop score zero - any chance of going into labour naturally?!

(10 Posts)
LindsayS79 Tue 02-Jul-13 14:27:07

Hi all

Looking for any similar experiences.. I'm 40+1 and had a sweep yesterday. Although the head is very far down, MW said my bishop score is zero and has booked me in for an induction on the 13th. She seemed pretty resigned to me needing the induction based on my score, so needless to say I'm gutted.
Has anyone here had such a low score but went on to go into labour naturally? Thanks in advance for any comments!

Nacster Tue 02-Jul-13 20:00:38

Yes. First birth I had a score of 0 and they induced anyway, which was dreadful. Second birth (at home) score was at 1 2 days before the birth and the MW was convinced I would end up induced - I didn't, laboured naturally. With DC3, again at home, still had a score of 1 at 42 weeks, but had a natural home birth at 42+3.

LindsayS79 Tue 02-Jul-13 22:04:57

Thanks Nacster. Really hoping my sweep at least starts to ripen cervix a bit now. I have another booked in for Monday but MW was talking as though induction was certain... Think I would rather a CS than go through days of being induced! Thanks again

MrsPatrickDempsey Tue 02-Jul-13 23:20:19

Don't be downcast: if the head is well down the Bishops Score really can't be zero.

pengy83 Wed 03-Jul-13 00:08:19

I had a Bishops Score of 0 at my first sweep at 40+7. Then had a score of 4 at my second sweep at 40+10. Went into labour naturally and gave birth at 40+12, two days before induction.

I honestly didn't think I would go naturally as I hadn't had so much as a twinge.

LindsayS79 Wed 03-Jul-13 10:19:33

Thanks everyone. I was actually surprised as I have been having the 'stabbing' pains in my cervix for weeks now and I'm really aware that the head is low, feels like it's almost out lol!! I guess I just got my hopes up too much considering it's my first baby.
I've been using a gym ball for the past month or so, so I think that's caused it to be so low. I'm going for a long walk now to hopefully get things moving!

fuckwittery Sun 07-Jul-13 02:50:22

I had a score of 1 at 15 days overdue, and went into labour naturally on the 17th day.
You have plenty of time yet, as the cervix can change very quickly, and you're not overdue until 42 weeks.

The 13th is a whole week away and so much could happen. You could also look at waiting until 14 days over before considering induction, as if your BS is still low at 12 days over, then induction may well not be successful. I decided to go for daily monitoring and a scan to check baby and fluid levels.

Just seen your thread is a few days old anyway, so hoping you've had some niggles and maybe things have even got going smile

LindsayS79 Fri 12-Jul-13 13:07:13

Just an update to say that my induction was brought forward by a week due to reduced movement. A second sweep helped me get some mild contractions on the day of induction. I was 1cm at 4pm, given a pessary at 5pm, was 3cm at 11pm then 9cm at 11.45pm!! I was rushed to the labour suite and my little girl was born at 02.25!
A very fast induction indeed!

fuckwittery Fri 12-Jul-13 18:50:09

Brilliant, congratulations!

Aww, well done!! Hope you're doing well!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now