Hospital bags... Help me identify some mystery items?

(87 Posts)
SourSweets Sun 23-Jun-13 20:05:06

Hi again,

So after a recent panic about whether I was going into early labour (I wasn't) I've decided to pack my hospital bag. It's my first time and I don't really know what I'm buying, or rather I know what I'm supposed to need but I don't know why.

So, here are my questions:

Towels: I'm told dark towels (for obvious reasons) but do I need just one big towel for showering in the hospital or a couple of little ones purely for down below? Or both?

Pants: How awful are disposable ones? I might just spend a bit more and get normal ones that I'll throw away after. What did you do/will you do?

Vaseline: For baby's bum if you're lucky enough to grease him up before the meconium poo comes. Are you ever lucky enough? Is the poo really that bad that you can't just get it off with wipes?

Also on my list: Nappies, going home outfits for both of us, magazines, snacks, lip balm, hair band, big t-shirt, bikini top for water birth, muslins, swaddle cloth, maternity pads (Only taking a pack of 10, will I need more?) Ipod, breast pads, dummies (not sure I'll even need those but they don't take up any room), small jug for diluting the wee after I've had him.

Have I missed anything?

Thank you for any and all advice, as always.

pocopearl Tue 25-Jun-13 08:12:51

why a dark towel?

AmandaCooper Tue 25-Jun-13 08:17:58

popopearl a dark towel won't show the bloodstains.

AmandaCooper Tue 25-Jun-13 08:18:30

*pocopearl - sorry!

pocopearl Tue 25-Jun-13 08:34:41

thanks always wondered that never really remembered to ask before, I guessed it was for something like that so I have packed an old towel which has been accidentally dyed in the wash several times and I think has possibly been used for the dogs as well, so not fussed if it gets chucked.

AmandaCooper Tue 25-Jun-13 08:58:09

After I took a shower along the corridor from the delivery room I had to walk back through a fairly public area past the relatives of other women in labour, so I was glad not to be carrying an obviously bloody bundle of clothes and towels.

beginnings Tue 25-Jun-13 17:22:44

One more thing I've just remembered. This was a piece of advice from my NCT teacher who was as mad as box of snakes that really helped. Cut kitchen paper into squares and use them to rinse yourself and then pat yourself dry after you've been to the loo. Very hygenic and means they won't break down or catch on stitches like loo roll.

Also, I found the best way to avoid stingy wee was to drink tons of water. Also helps with milk supply which is an added bonus. I had a third degree tear and never felt the need to pour water over my ladygarden. What was coming out was dilute enough.

rockybalboa Tue 25-Jun-13 23:02:01

Bollocks to not taking in own pain relief. I don't know how many times I asked for some bloody paracetamol for hideous after pains after DS2 only to be resolutely ignored. My bag this time includes vast amounts of paracetamol and ibuprofen!! And cotton wool is an utter bitch so I will be politely ignoring anyone who might suggest it is a 'wipes free' hospital, will they confiscate them?!? And how exactly does any hospital 'make' someone put a hat on their baby for 24 hours?!

Lip balm as so warm on the post natal ward, and some moisturiser as hands do dry out a but from washing after changing nappies etc

MostlyCake Thu 27-Jun-13 09:31:48

I've packed arnica tables for post birth bruising, rennies (as am going through about a million a day at the moment) and a little hand held fan from the boots holiday section smile

Wickedgirl Mon 01-Jul-13 16:35:42

Polo mints as your mouth will feel horrid if you have gas and air. They will also help if you feel slightly sick

Cloudkitten Mon 01-Jul-13 16:51:01

Dressing gown - for wandering to the loo and back in your nightie. There's a lot of dads all over maternity wards in the daytime plus lots of other visitors around.

Cheap ordinary knicks from supermarket or Primark - get black ones

Flip flops for shower also hospital floors can be surprisingly dusty/dirty and you may well rest your little baby on your bed at some point, so you want slippers that you can easily flick off before getting on the bed. This is the same reason why visitors are not supposed to sit on your bed as they bring dirt/bacteria directly onto your bedcovers, which is particularly important to avoid if you have had any kind of surgery including a ceasarean)

oscarwilde Mon 01-Jul-13 16:57:13

Def more pads. My waters broke about 8 hrs before I went into labour so used up my post natal stock before I even had the baby. I'd get the ones from Boots with wings

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now