Is this early labour or am I fooling myself?

(59 Posts)
bigkidsdidit Sat 22-Jun-13 12:15:40

Hello

Last labour I was induced (DS born 40+15) and went straight for epidural as it was agony so have no idea what natural labour feels like. Planning a home birth this time and am 40 + 8 today. I need to go into labour before 40 + 14 to keep my home birth without a fight so am on high alert and not sure if I am now psyching myself into imagining labour symptoms ...

Had sweep on Wednesday. Lost the plug on Thursday but it wasn't bloody which I think is more indicative of labour to follow soon? Yesterday incredibly intense pelvic pressure all day.

This morning have intermittent dull back pain which hasn't gone after a hot bath.

But no pain on bump, no tightenings...

What do you think?

MummyAbroad Sat 22-Jun-13 23:55:13

for what its worth, i was also thinking "is it or isnt it starting?" for the first couple of hours. Then it kicked in and there was no denying it. I am sure that being relaxed, and not fighting it but letting it roll over you helps, it send the message to your body that its OK for baby to come out.

Another good thing to think/say is "whatever happens I know I can cope with it" smile

..and dont forget to have a wee while you can! (gets harder later on!)

bigkidsdidit Sun 23-Jun-13 00:08:42

You're all so nice smile

Off to have a sleep I think, things seem to be slowing up.

bigkidsdidit Sun 23-Jun-13 08:31:34

Had five hours sleep but back to a contraction every 15 minutes. Trying to keep my pecker up, I really thought it would be last night sad

chocolatesolveseverything Sun 23-Jun-13 08:44:38

Still, just think, it means your body is gradually getting itself ready for birth. That baby IS on the way. It'sjust not in any particular hurry right now.

ThedementedPenguin Sun 23-Jun-13 11:25:22

Good morning. How are you now?

MummyAbroad Sun 23-Jun-13 14:19:54

Hi, glad you got some sleep. Do try to relax and rest as much as possible, you'll need all your energy for this!

MummyAbroad Sun 23-Jun-13 14:28:45

And here is another of my mad 'tips' to entertain you while you wait grin . My doula told me baby wont come if you have any 'unfinished business' to take care of. Have you forgotton to pay a bill or post a letter?

bigkidsdidit Sun 23-Jun-13 14:49:51

I'm ok. We went for a few hours strolling round the park, now I've just woken up from a two hour nap. Still painful contractions every 10 mins. Trying not to get fed up sad and to remind myself it means the baby is coming at some point!

My to do list is enormous...

MummyAbroad Sun 23-Jun-13 15:00:46

Go and cross everything off your to do list wink (without doing the stuff of course-its just symbolic!)

Its understandable to feel fed up, its quite a draining experience, but a stroll and a nap and keeping a positive attitude are all the right things to do - well done you, keep it up and this baby will slip out no probs!

keep talking on here if it helps smile

beckslovestimmy Sun 23-Jun-13 15:57:49

mummyabroad that to do thing must be right, I handed in the last module of my degree the day my labour started! smile

bigkidsdidit Sun 23-Jun-13 16:05:24

Since I woke from my nap the contractions have been every 5 minutes smile the mw is coming out for a look and DH is filling the pool. As soon as DS wakes from his nap we're going to drop him at the Cm, who lives on our street smile smile

HoppinMad Sun 23-Jun-13 16:08:40

Things can move very quickly OP, dont despair. I moved from 10 iminute contractions to a few minutes apart, lasting 40-50 secs within the space of a few hours. Keep doing what you are doing, I didnt go in the bath despite mw suggesting it, as I found that caused the contractions to slow down. Birthball intensified my pain (maybe am just odd!) Do what you feel is right for you.

Do keep us informed x

HoppinMad Sun 23-Jun-13 16:09:23

X-post

Thats great! X

bigkidsdidit Sun 23-Jun-13 16:55:10

The head is still 2/5 palpable! FFS! I've been contracting for 36 hours!

MummyAbroad Sun 23-Jun-13 17:26:52

dont worry, as others have said, it can all start to move quickly at any moment. Just do what you can to will it on.

I got in the bath in early labour - for me it sped things up - a LOT.

I suppose if you get in the pool soon we might not hear any more from you! Good luck, you are going to be a mum of two today!!!!!

Theselittlelightsofmine Sun 23-Jun-13 19:05:27

It's gone quiet, wondering if things really did kickoff quick after ops last post

MummyAbroad Sun 23-Jun-13 19:11:20

Maybe she's in the pool? No news is good news I reckon! Go bigkids if you are lurking!!

beckslovestimmy Sun 23-Jun-13 22:55:22

I wonder if big kids is cuddling that new born yet? smile

ThedementedPenguin Sun 23-Jun-13 22:58:06

Oh, hope things have progressed on for you.?

bigkidsdidit Sun 23-Jun-13 23:29:58

Hullo hullo

Well when the mw listened to the heartbeat at that check it was dropping, so we came into hospital and they broke my waters and put on a trace. After that all natural, delivered DS2 at 9.20 pm smile

Seeing as he was back to back (turned in labour!) and 9lb 10 shock I think I did brilliantly grin

He's feeding away like a trooper and I'm eating toast smile

MummyAbroad Mon 24-Jun-13 00:43:57

Wheh heeeeeey!!! What brilliant news bigkids You did FANSTASTIC!!! gringringringringrin well done!

9lb10 baby back to back, bloody hell, thats no walk in the park! No wonder it felt all pelvisy!

Congratulations, give him a big kiss from his internet stranger fans grin

threefeethighandrising Mon 24-Jun-13 01:01:42

Congratulations! Fabulous news grin grin

Have a lovely time getting to know your new human smile

MalenkyRusskyDrakonchik Mon 24-Jun-13 01:07:31

Oh, wow!

I only read you commenting the other day that DC two was on the way ... I'd no idea you meant this on the way!

Congratulations. flowers

(And get you with that labour description ... wow.)

bigkidsdidit Mon 24-Jun-13 07:29:09

Oh you're all so lovely <hormonal weeping>

beckslovestimmy Mon 24-Jun-13 07:56:10

Well done! Congratulations. grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now