EMCS v ELCS: quick survey please

(34 Posts)
Fuckwittery Mon 20-May-13 19:42:19

Please can you tell me

EMCS or ELCS?
1. How long did you stay in hospital for
2. When did you have it and do you know whether your baby was engaged or not?
3. Recovery: would you consider yours good or difficult? (more details welcome, but was trying to keep this a quick survey!)

Trying to weigh up whether I should go for a ELCS or risk a VBAC with end of another EMCS. I also suspect whether baby is engaged or not might affect recovery, mine were deeply engaged and I feel I was v bashed about in the operations!

Portofino Tue 21-May-13 11:10:12

PS I was discharged after 3 days and my recovery was good, not too much pain etc.

Exhaustipated Tue 21-May-13 11:12:42

ELCS for breech (dc2)

1. Stayed in hospital for 2 nights
2. 38+2 (as there were other concerns). Not engaged due to breech.
3. Difficult recovery. Lots of pain when first moving around (wasn't expecting that for some reason). Scar got infected and took a while to clear up. Still find it itchy and sensitive (9 months on).

Actual caesarean birth was lovely, v calm and moving, but I still have some regrets that I didn't experience the 'easy second birth' thing. Anyway, that's not what you asked... blush

Hope things go well for you.

BennettsBiscuit Tue 21-May-13 11:20:20

DC1 - EMCS at 40 wks after 48 hr & v long fruitless second stage. Baby never engaged I don't think though waters broke etc so not sure.
Stayed 24hrs, recovery was fine apart from fluid retention in lower body from all the ivs they gave me. Was also v white for a few days!

DC2 - ELCS at 39. Went home next morning, felt amazingly normal! Not being knackered from labour made big difference. Baby was 3/5 at scan week before. Looked fine, you'd never have realised. After pains worse as DC2 but much less pain/discomfort otherwise, I think a lot of the pain first time was from malpositioned baby bruising my insides! EBF both with no real issues.

Personally I'd recommend the elective, though if I'd been planning to have dc3 I might have chosen to try a VBAC.

Theyoniwayisnorthwards Tue 21-May-13 11:26:55

DS1 was EMCS after hours and hours of labour due to failure to progress. I was exhausted, sore and scared, got an infection afterwards, back into hospital for another week. Recovery was slow and I was swollen for months.

DS2 was ELCS 6 months ago, it was a cakewalk by comparison. I was prepared, had slept the night before, had help arranged for coming home. Birth was calm and lovely, recovered much faster and glad I insisted on a second c section.

Downside is that my scar is a bit ugh.

TwoTearsInABucket Tue 21-May-13 11:39:43

DS was EMCS after a failed induction at 38 weeks due to pre-eclampisa. His heart rate kept going down with every contraction.
I have no idea if DS was engaged or not.
I stayed for 4 days and was only let out coz I could not stop crying.
Recovery from CS was good. Scar healed very well, no infection. i did make sure I took it easy.
DD was VBAC but 3rd degree tear which got infected and I didn't get off the sofa until she was about 5 weeks. I hated it, much worse that CS but so glad I had natural birth if that makes sense.

I am opting for ELCS this time.

Fuckwittery Tue 21-May-13 13:45:50

thanks everyone, I have read all the replies in detail and still dont't know what to do! i thought it would be an unanimous elcs are easier than emcs but that hasnt been the case for all.
I had a hosp appt today and was told it's a more complicated operation with more risk of bleeding if they have to do an emcs when you get to nearly fully dilated,i.e. after a failed vbac which is what happened last time. So I can see an elcs would be more likely to be easier recovery but really had awful recoveries the last 2 times and would so love to avoid! The hosp would be happy for me to try for a vbac if I want.

NanoNinja Tue 21-May-13 21:50:51

DC1, ELCS due to breech ( tried ECV but no luck)
1. 1 week, is standard where I am
2. 38+1, by scan dates, but dr said that he was probably younger. Not engaged.
3. Good recovery, prob due to 1 week hospital stay!

Good luck - am TTC DC2, and wondering the same thing....

Squitten Thu 23-May-13 10:01:49

We found out DS1 was breech at 41wks. ELCS was planned but then I went into labour anyway so it ended up being an EMCS.

1. In hospital for 2.5 days
2. See above
3. My time in hospital was awful. Ward was overcrowded and we were quite neglected, which meant nobody noticed my BF struggles and we ended up FF before we got home. My personal recovery was absolutely fine.

Different hospital for DS2. Very supportive of VBAC and it was excellent. Good delivery, no interventions whatsoever, home the same day. 2nd degree tear but healed no problems. BF was established easily.

Planning a homebirth for DC3 this autumn

Jollyb Thu 23-May-13 21:02:37

EMCS at 42 weeks after failed induction. I spent 2 nights in hospital after the section - the first was spent on the labour ward High Dependency Unit as I had developed an infection prior to my section.

Recovery was fine. I felt so much more mobile than I did at the end of pregnancy. One of my first thoughts when I heard I was going for a section was 'but I haven't got a changing table'. In the end it was fine and I was changing nappies on the floor from early on.

We were discharged with blood thinning (heparin) injections that I had to give myself for a week.

I drove at around 7 weeks. I felt well enough to drive before that but TBH I didn't really need to. Was power pramming by 10 weeks.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now