ZOMBIE THREAD ALERT: This thread hasn't been posted on for a while.

hypnobirthing cd or book?

(5 Posts)
elliejjtiny Thu 16-May-13 22:25:59

Expecting DC4 and thought I'd have a go at hypnobirthing this time. I find I have long latent labours that stop if I get stressed so thought some relaxation might help. Also a lot of people who do it seem to have the kind of labour where it doesn't hurt until nearly the end which sounds great grin.

I've had a look on amazon and there is so much choice, both books and CD's. Can anyone recommend something because I don't have a clue!

Rockchick1984 Fri 17-May-13 10:41:03

I used Natal Hypnotherapy - I had the book but didn't do much with it blush however the CD was excellent.

Skelosia Fri 17-May-13 10:55:31

I was given a book by Katherine Hargreaves.

But what I seem to have gathered from my reading and practising is that the main thing is that you are kept calm and focussed. I spoke to the midwife about it and she told me of a woman who had a homebirth and was doing something like hypnobirthing. In the room she laboured in, she had a wall of hearts with empowering messages from important friends and family members. During the transition stage, she went into the popular panic, and someone told her to read the messages. She calmed down.

I have told OH that if hypno birthing goes out the window, as long as he keeps me calm and focussed, that is all I care about.

Perhaps find some 'natural' cd's?

I am lucky in that my friend has guided me through the hypnobirthing. Good luck with it all smile

ButteryJam Sat 18-May-13 06:28:54

I bought the effective birth preparation book off amazon, and the CD to go with it from ebay. It's published by Natal Hypnotherapy.

If you don't want to spend any money at all you could get the Marie Mongan hypnobirthing tracks for free online - search for rainbow relaxation audio or someone else should be able to link you to it.

Have you had a look at your library and seen if they have any books?

caroline2013 Mon 20-May-13 14:09:38

I used the Natal Hynotherapy Effective Birth Preparation CD for the birth of my daughter (first child). It was excellent as it helped me stay calm during the last few weeks of pregnancy and the techniques I learnt listening to the CD enabled me to stay calm and in control during labour. I had an excellent labour with no pain relief. I did feel pain, but it was very manageable. After initially being sceptical about the hypnotherapy I tried this CD as my midwife recommended it and I thought it wouldn't do any harm and was worth a try. I was astounded by the results. I would recommend it to anyone wanting to have a calm birth.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Effective-Birth-Preparation-Hospital-Centre/dp/1905220502/ref=tag_stp_s2_edpp_url

I think a CD is more effective than a book as you just switch off and listen to it any time and it is great relaxation.

Good luck with your birth

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now