Right. Early induction is booked- what do I need?

(13 Posts)
boardingschoolbaby Wed 15-May-13 20:13:03

Just that really- hospital want to induce on Monday due to concerns about the placenta. This is our first, and I hater that induction can be a long wait. Any particular stuff that we should pack? All advice appreciated.

boardingschoolbaby Wed 15-May-13 20:13:33

Hater= gather

Lots if snacks, drinks, magazines, iPhone and charger !! I've been I duced all three times (for going overdue) first baby was typical first baby and induction started tues didn't have her until the fri!! Second and third were very quick though so no time to read or do anything those times !! Good luck x

ifindoubtnamechange Wed 15-May-13 21:48:27

Don't count on it being v slow - I was 36 hours from arriving at hospital to giving birth with an induction at 38 weeks. Watched tv, chatted, read on first day. Paced corridors, chatted with DP, threw up, lay on bed, gave birth on second.

Also was nil by mouth from midnight.

You don't need to bring everything at the start - get someone to bring baby's stuff after the birth.

FrustratedSycamoresRocks Thu 16-May-13 07:14:54

Vaseline or similar for your lips.
Something to read/do whilst you wait.
Huge granny pants.
A flannel/face wash.
Hairbrush.

no idea how I missed the last 2 when I was packing

boardingschoolbaby Thu 16-May-13 09:02:36

Brilliant thank you- I hadn't even thought of iPod, flannels etc

I was induced 2 weeks ago smilesmile it was 21 hours start to finish, so don't count on a long wait. Among the things I took was I pod, smart phone (and charger) kindle, pack of cards, lots of snacks and drinks, lip balm, and a flannel for cooling my face plus my shower stuff for after, really nice body wash and shampoo.

Good luck.

boardingschoolbaby Thu 16-May-13 18:58:18

Probably a stupid question; but do you take your own towel into hospital for showers?

FrustratedSycamoresRocks Thu 16-May-13 19:23:04

I did, they do supply them if you ask, but they aren't very big towels.

Spare pillows and a single duvet were really useful for us as I had a single room and DH stayed overnight for a bit of moral support after my contractions started (and slept whilst I was awake all night in pain). I was very unfavourable for induction according to my hospital notes which I peeked at when no one was looking but went into labour after 1 pessary and had given birth within 24 hours so it may to be as long as you think!

Littlered are you me?? That is almost identical to my induction, except for the duvet! I was also told I was not favourable, 1 pessary later and off I went, within an hour or so I was having contractions, DH also managed to sleep through quite a lot of it and I had delivered 21 hours after the pessary smile

I forgot I took my own pillow, it was far more comfortable than the plastic hospital ones.

boardingschoolbaby Thu 16-May-13 21:04:45

All great things to know. Thank you!

elliejjtiny Thu 16-May-13 22:37:08

Definately a book or 2 and I would take a portable dvd player as well. I was meant to be induced with DS3 for prolonged rupture of membranes but after 12 hours of them faffing around trying to sort out a bed on labour ward, midwife and anaesthetist I'd got to 5cm dilated so they agreed I could just carry on labouring without the drip.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now