Maternity Pads - Is Tena lady the way to go?

(25 Posts)

I'm starting to think about my bag for hospital and someone mentioned Tena Lady were far better as maternity pads in the first 1-2 weeks. Does anyone have any solid advice?
I've been a Mooncup girl for years so am kinda freaking out more about flooding/spillage than the actual birth currently blush

CallTheDoula Wed 15-May-13 15:53:58

Tena Lady apparently good as very big & wide and have a rim (bit like a nappy). Also less bulky than maternity pads are the night time sanitary pads with wings.

Greywacke Wed 15-May-13 15:57:11

You shouldn't use sanitary towels if you have stitches. Not sure about tena lady.

Maternity pads whilst huge also help cushion things after birth which can only be a good thing!

RuByMaMa Wed 15-May-13 16:38:09

Natracare maternity pads were brilliant first time around and I've bulk bought several boxes in preparation for the arrival of number 2 in the next couple of weeks! Super comfy and all natural- you can get them in waitrose or just order them online. While on the subject of pads- would also very much recommend lansinoh breast pads! Good luck and happy packing!

Thank you!! I'll get some of both for while I'm in hospital then send DH to get more of which works best. (To his embarrassment and my amusement grin)

Maternity pads might be softer than tena. I don't know for certain as I've never used tena. I bought wilko maternity at first, then used their normal nighttime sanitary pads as they were super thick and the maternity and night times were exactly the same except the maternity ones were more expensive!

YY to Tena Lady. I found them more comfortable than maternity pads.

SkiBumMum Wed 15-May-13 19:47:11

Get lots of cheap BIG black knickers too. You can chuck them and not have to worry!

Best ones this time I 'vid found have been Asda little angels pads (very cheap too) though I didn't have stitches this time yay as I had EMCS grr! The thicker more padded the better along with huuuuuge cheap black pants grin the glamour grin

nenevomito Wed 15-May-13 20:35:45

Kotex Night Time towels were brilliant after both of mine. They are big and very soft.

upanddown83 Tue 28-May-13 10:43:43

Just had baby and been using Kotex night-time pads (in a black packet) very big and soft makes sitting down a lot easier! I have used 8 in the last 24hrs so make sure to pack plenty or have someone who can bring u some!

Liveinthepresent Tue 28-May-13 14:05:54

Thanks OP this is the current priority on my hospital bag shopping list too.
I think I liked the Kotex night time last time but what's the story with not using normal sanitary towels - i read we should use cotton pads?
Also silly question but are the tena ones pads or pants?!
Quite keen to stock up as remember getting my poor friend to make many deliveries last time!

Nicolaeus Tue 28-May-13 14:21:08

I loved Boots own brand maternity pads (and will stock up on them next time I'm in the UK for DC2!).

Very soft and thick.

Was advised by midwife to pee whilst pouring water from a bottle on myself then to gently "blot" myself dry with a maternity pad before using a clean one in my pants. I only did this for the first couple of days whilst using hospital maternity pads but was nice and comfortable.

I'd say to stock up on loads (as is everyone's advice on MN) but I have to say, I was very surprised at how little I bled after the birth. Within 4 days I only needed a couple of pads a day and stopped bleeding within a couple of weeks (even have a few pads left over!)

Still, better to be safe than sorry! (or try explaining to DH exactly which brand you need whilst both of you are shellshocked form the birth/first few nights etc. grin)

GTbaby Tue 28-May-13 23:49:45

I found boots and tesco to be identical. Sainsburys rubbish.

100% you want the thickness of maternity pads. I switched to the thin ones as flow decreased, then switched back to thicker as alot more comfortable.
Mothercare most expensive.

Shouldn't use period pads as can cause issues with stitches. Also MW needs to check pads sometimes and absorbency of period pads is different.

Rico08 Wed 29-May-13 06:38:05

I found ASDA Little Angels & Tesco best ones.

Definitely not Sainsburys maternity pads, they twist and the inner absorbent pad comes away from the outer covering and squishes up, not good.

milktraylady Wed 29-May-13 06:57:37

Hi I bought maternity pads (thick ones) to try them all- tesco, mothercare, boots, morrisons.
All IDENTICAL! (So - 4 packs)

Then moved onto boots thin maternity pads. I agree they are just like nighttime pads really.

I bled for 4 weeks, but it was just like a period really- it would seem that not everyone has clots & massive flow.

And do get pants in a bigger size- the pads won't fit in your normal ones.
Plus your hips will be a bit bigger.
And you want comfort!

igirisu Fri 31-May-13 19:00:46

i dont like the always night time they make me a bit clammy but the normal maternity pads gather in my booty a bit and poke out so i look like i have a small tail, i do like Asda ones for comfort but over all for comfort and staying put i like Boots. I agree that Sainsburys are rubbish which is a shame as i went in at the deep end and got 40 of them the other week, sigh sad oh and asda smart price pants are 2.50 for 5 pairs and are SO COMFY!

chubbychipmonk Sat 01-Jun-13 11:51:46

Another vote for Asda pads, 98p a packet & were excellent.

Wish I'd used them first time round instead of spending a fortune in Mothercare!

Primark for big cheap chuck away pants!

Angelik Sat 01-Jun-13 12:11:36

talking pads but not maternity ones and something i wished I'd thought of earlier - use cheap panty liners as breast pads. much better than 'proper' breast pads and much cheaper. has been a revelation to me especially as my boobs do generate milk freely!

MiaowTheCat Sat 01-Jun-13 15:38:41

I used the Tesco ones both times - they did the job, were squishy and nice with stitches. I found I needed them as well for the first couple of days of the first post-birth period when normal towels weren't cutting it... those first periods started very very very heavily so I used the remaining supply of maternity pads up then.

TrickyWoo Sat 01-Jun-13 16:37:10

Y Y to panty liner in bra - cut in half!

igirisu Sun 02-Jun-13 08:18:58

Panty liners as breast pads! What a brilliant idea! I will not be buying any more breast pads!

Nicolaeus Mon 03-Jun-13 13:59:50

I eventually bought reusable breast pads when at 3 months I realised I was not going to stop leaking any time soon (much to my surprise and annoyance).

I liked Boots reusable. I found that a ocuple of branded breast pads stuck to my nipples and removing them was like ripping a layer of skin off - ouch!

FriskyHenderson Mon 03-Jun-13 14:23:46

Tenalady pants are the bees knees. Supplement with night time/maternity pads for the first few days. No leakage because it's a nappy

Mouserama Fri 21-Jun-13 13:00:23

I used tena lady pants, and put a maternity pad into them as well. That way I could keep 'fresh' by changing the pad every few hours, without having to change pants every couple of hours (tena lady are quite expensive). Worked really well for me, although I did have a CS so didn't have excessive blood loss afterwards

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now