ZOMBIE THREAD ALERT: This thread hasn't been posted on for a while.

VBAC - please educate me!

(6 Posts)
Quilty Mon 13-May-13 23:32:18

So I'm expecting baby number 1 and it's looking pretty likely I'll be having a planned section as baby is breech. Very disappointed but starting to accept it, just want baby here safely.

What I'd like to know is what are the issues around having a normal delivery after you've had a section? I've seen a lot of threads discussing VBAC but can't seem to find out much about why this is a big deal? What are the risks? Do many people have a natural birth when they've had a section previously?

MrsHoolie Mon 13-May-13 23:56:18

With your second child you will probably have a choice of trying or a vbac or choosing an elcs.

The risk is that your scar can rupture (internally). The risk is fairly low but potentially very dangerous so if you go for a vbac you are closely monitored in labour and some hospitals have quite strict guidelines for a vbac,no water birth/continuous monitoring etc. my hospital was very pro vbac and would allow a water birth although would not allow induction.

However I ended up with another emcs,I'm glad I tried but my body just doesn't do

moggiek Tue 14-May-13 01:19:16

Quilty - I delivered two babies vaginally (27 & 24 now!) after a CS. It was unusual to be given the choice then, but I'm glad I fought for it.

Right now, I'm waiting for a call to let me know that the result of my CS has just had his second baby ....

Jollyb Tue 14-May-13 08:38:27

If you have a planned section for a breech baby,your chances of going on to have a normal vaginal delivery are higher than someone who has an emergency section for a problem during labour.

As others have said the main risk is scar rupture (I think it's about 0.5%).

Lots of hospitals offer special VBAC or birth options clinics to discuss these issues in detail when pregnant with your second.

Good luck and don't stress too much about the section - I had an emergency one and it was fine.

organiccarrotcake Tue 14-May-13 15:32:06

Scar rupture risk with a VBAC is almost exactly the same risk as induction on an unscarred uterus, but they seldom tell you that when they're pushing you to be induced for something that's probably not evidence based anyway. VBAC is always your choice. Rupture is rare and rupture which has a bad outcome is miniscule, as usually a rupture is picked up early, before the baby becomes distressed. So rupture is rare, and a catastrophic rupture is super rare.

There are options for vaginal breech delivery if you're interested. This book would be useful: www.aims.org.uk/pubs.htm#breech and the one below on VBAC, too. Your NCT library might have a copy, or they're good value to buy and all evidence based, really useful stuff.

Quilty Tue 14-May-13 18:26:00

Thank you all, that's really cheered me up! So glad to hear that next time could be a lovely natural birth!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now