homebirthers - tell me your lovely stories

(85 Posts)
littlemonkeychops Mon 13-May-13 08:47:15

Hi
I'm planning a homebirth for DC2, 38 weeks now. Had a straightforward birth with DC1 at MLU and only 5 mins from hospital if i need to transfer.

So, about 90% of the time i am excited and positive but for the last couple of days i've felt wobbly, not about the homebirth side of things i'm confident it's shat i want. Just suddenly nervous about the "argh i actually havd to go through labour again" aspect! I guess this is normal for a second birth?!

So please shard your positive homebirth stories, for some reason reading positive stories makes me feel less wobbly!

Thanks

lucjam Sun 02-Jun-13 22:03:03

Awww sounds great, well done and congrats xxx

BlackBagBorderBinLiner Sun 02-Jun-13 13:18:07

grin

There should be a national holiday.

wouldyoupleasemove Sun 02-Jun-13 11:43:36

Big congrats

themidwife Sun 02-Jun-13 07:45:33

Congratulations Monkey!! Glad it all went well! thanks

Congratulations! So glad all went well grin

EarlGreyTeabag Sat 01-Jun-13 21:21:36

Congratulations and flowers to you!

I followed your thread (but wasn't on it) & also had a wonderful home birth for my third. One of the best experiences of my life.

So glad it went well!

littlemonkeychops Sat 01-Jun-13 21:13:20

Hi it's OP here.

Well i had my homebirth last night!! Over the moon wifh our gorgeous DD :-)

It was everything i'd hoped it would be, calmer, me in control, quicker, no tearing and wonderful when DD1 came in to meet her new sibling. Welling up just thinking about it! And as for the bath in my own bath afterwards, best bath i've ever had in my life!!

Thanks to everyone who shared their stories and inspired me to go for it!

TeWiSavesTheDay Fri 17-May-13 18:56:51

I had a planned homebirth with DC2/DS - partly because of the quicker labour theory (DC1/DD was born after an 8hr labour, and ky mum had a VERY quick second labour)

I went into labour on the 23rd December, Christmas shopping at 9am in waitrose with DD! Got a taxi home and rang DH to cone home straight away, and a friend who was looking after DD. Then things slowed down. By the end of the day contractions were still mild and far apart so we got DD home and put her to bed.

I tried to sleep for a bit but found the contractions were worse lying in bed, so I ended up ringing my lovely MW, who was on call to come and see me. She sat up all night with me and DP, chatting while I bounced on birthing ball and played with a juggling ball/counted. At the end if her shift I was still only 1cm dilated! not massively painful, but regular contractions.

In the morning - Christmas eve - Next shift started, about 24hrs after contractions had started, we sent DD back to my friend, and next MW suggested I rest, try and have a bath, DH have a nap etc, and that got me until lunchtime. When I was finally 4cms! In more pain, and very grateful for gas and air. The rest of the labour I spent on my side lying on my sofa with gas and air. At pushing stage I lay on my back (I like to deliver on my back) and DH used cold flannels on my forehead to cool me down.

DS was born about 7pm, DD came home all of about 20mins later, gave him and kiss and said hello, then went to bed.

DH made me a pizza grin MWs finished, cleared up the front room + paperwork and went home, we set up all the Christmas presents under the tree then took DS to bed and the morning was quite honestly the world's best Christmas!

No explanation for why he didn't arrive in the expected 4hrs mind, and dragged it out for 36 instead.hmmgrin

NoHank Fri 17-May-13 18:39:45

Chromolithograph that's really interesting. DS was 6 hours, DD 3.5

Startail Thu 16-May-13 20:36:38

Chromolithograph (I'm going to have to google that)

That is why DD1 was here to see her sister being born. Since she took 27hrs I thought I'd just get DF to pick her up in the morning.

Of course DD2 arrived in 7 hours and I never got round to dragging DF out of bed. She did arrive in the afternoon with her DH and her two DDs who loved meeting a tiny baby. As non siblings the hospital wouldn't have let them. After a play she swept DD1 off for tea and DH, DD2 and me had some well earned sleep.

BoffinMum Thu 16-May-13 13:05:25

Lucy, I was told that. The hospital said, "We don't like car park births, don't even attempt coming in", which was reassuring. In fact I happened to be in A and E with one of my kids when I started having one or two contractions, and they were even worried whether I would make it over to the maternity unit in time! Luckily labour stopped on that occasion. I think I was just stressed or something. In the event when I did go into labour it only took very little time so I was really best off at home.

Chromolithograph Thu 16-May-13 11:30:49

My very experienced midwife had a theory that length of labour time at least halved with the second baby, correct in my case 16 then 8 hours.

Home birth is very common round here since the local hospitals are a minimum of 40 minutes away along country lanes. We have lots of local stories of people being turned away from 'local' hospital for not being advanced enough, getting back home, relaxing and promptly delivering.

Our midwives dramtically cut their transfer rates with birthing first timers by encouraging drinking / eating high energy foods during the lengthy first labours - so anyone looking at this for your first, keep your strength up.

honeybeeplusone Thu 16-May-13 11:06:56

The whole experience took from 20:00 to 2.45pm so not very quick I think... many many hours but I felt much more comfortable being at home (I was on the net at some point reading about labour smile and also didn't have to worry about when to go to hospital!

LittleMissLucy Thu 16-May-13 02:36:50

I think littlemonkeychops it may be that the fast births are home births because speed is expected. A friend of mine delivered her first in just over 2 hrs beginning labour to very end. So she was advised with 2nd DC not to attempt to leave the house - but to deliver at home.

littlemonkeychops Wed 15-May-13 18:22:50

Wow some great stories :-)

Also seems like a lot of homebirths are quick compared to hospital births, i'm guessing because it's more relaxing being at home?

NoHank Wed 15-May-13 14:05:22

DD (just turned 3) was a homebirth. It really was a lovely experience and I'm quite sad I'll never do it again!

I went into labour at 9.15am. I walked around a lot at first and had DS rub my back during the contractions. At about 11.30am I got in the bath whilst DH was blowing up and filling up the pool downstairs and I called the midwife. I started feeling a bit "funny" so got out of the bath and knelt at the side of the bed where DH had just put all the old sheets we had collected and my waters broke. The midwife arrived with a trainee just after and declared she could see the head and I wouldn't be moving anywhere (so much for the birthing pool downstairs) The midwife rang for the second one to come immediately and she arrived shortly after.

DD was born at 12.45pm, 3.5 hours after labour started, no pain relief and no problems. The nicest thing, as others have said was the feeling of control. The midwives were fantastic. They just pretty much sat on the bedroom floor with me and let me get on with it. It was a very calm and controlled experience and I half breathed, half pushed DD out.

Afterwards the midwives cleared all the sheets off the floor and whipped them all away, dressed me in clean clothes and put me into bed with DD. They then went into the next room to have a cup of tea and some choc chip cookies while they wrote up their notes and I cuddled DD.

<Happy sigh> It really was a lovely day

ninipops Wed 15-May-13 13:26:10

Have had 2 hb's after an unplanned hospital birth for DC1 (pre-eclampsia) . Both excellent but so different! First was all very calm MW arrived about 11pm contractions were still 20 min apart but I was 8cm. Laboured in and out of the pool - mostly in and DS made his appearance at 2:40am. DD woke up about 3 and came down to find her little brother in my arms.

DD2 however was almost named speedi after her entrance. Spoke to MW about 8:15pm when contractions were between 5 & 10 min apart and she said she was on her way. I went to the room where DH was starting to fill the pool had 2 shouty sweary contractions in rapid succession, waters broke and I hit the deck on all fours. DH on phone to ambulance service was saying "No I can't see any part of the baby" and in recesses of my brain I thought "give it a second" and the head was born - not crowned - born! Paramedics arrived 10 min after DD and MW 10 min after that.

We were all tucked up in bed by 11 and the other 2 DC's slept through the whole thing.

Best birth ever!

gourd Wed 15-May-13 13:06:13

Had lovely home water birth with my only child. I hate hospitals and hated the idea of going there for such a milestone event in our lives. It was great to have two midwives all to myself and the midwife I'd had nearly all my appointments with was on duty so was able to attend which was a nice bonus. It was an amazing experience, it was wonderful just being able to lift her out out of the water to take her first breath in my arms and feed her straight away. It was lovely to be at home relaxed and just free to move around and get food /cup of tea immediately afterwards etc. I even finished the pastry I'd had to put in the fridge a couple fo hours before.. I had a v short labour though, 2.5 hours in total according to notes and active stage was 21 mins - I was only in the pool 30 mins! I cant help thinking that being at home (as well as the water) must have helped.

Offred Wed 15-May-13 12:36:35

had options for pain relief btw, didn't find I needed anything other than TENS machine.

Offred Wed 15-May-13 12:35:55

had HB with DD (baby 2).

Was in a flat in a converted victorian house. grin

I was single post abusive x.

Pains started at 6.30am after a good sleep, my mum and sister arrived to look after me/ds at 7.30am. midwife thought i was not far along as relaxed on the phone. Assessed at 14.30, I went to bed for a sleep, waters went with a pop as I lay down. Labour progressed quickly and the midwives were tied up elsewhere. I just said nothing and carried on labouring grin dd was born at 5.35pm, only one midwife arrived and just in time to catch her. I put the TV on, watched the end of neighbours, fed DD, called my neighbour in the bottom flat to invite her up, had some food and went to sleep at my normal bed time. My mum and sister tidied up and dealt with the panicking midwives who had arrived too late and then let themselves out!

Best birth! I'd go off into a cave alone if I could.

PolterGoose Tue 14-May-13 23:03:28

Not a midwife pope grin midwife pops in

PolterGoose Tue 14-May-13 23:02:03

5 days overdue, a Saturday, midwife pope in in the morning, goes, then returns 10 minutes later in a bit of mild panic thinking ds might be breach, arranges for scan. Have scan in afternoon, not breach, not engaged. Lovely sunny day doing lots of gardening and pottering (we'd moved in 4 weeks earlier)

Half past midnight contractions start, instantly every 5 minutes, call MW, she has to come from 20+ miles away (rural patch), have a bath, MW arrives, collapse on bed, waters go, insert gas and air thing in mouth and do not let go, at some point concerns that ds's heartbeat dropped, ambulance called, paramedics arrive, am told ds needs to come out, given choice of transfer to hospital or episiotomy, choose latter, ds born at 5.30am, cuddled, he was too cold, I needed decent stitching, me and ds prepared and ambulanced to hospital (10 minutes away), stitched, ds put under 'grill', get some lovely bf help from a hospital MW, paramedics pop in, one very emotional as it was the first birth he had seen. Sent home.

I had planned to be mobile and active and all that but I just couldn't move grin

CorrieDale Tue 14-May-13 21:28:49

Had a vbac with dd, at home. It was so lovely. I was gutted when we moved, and every time we go past the old house I remember giving birth in front of the piano! It was great. Hurt a bit but the experience was so much better than the elcs I had with DS.

JumpJockey Tue 14-May-13 20:43:57

HB with Dd1 was amazing - in summary, doula and DH filled pool for me, I got in and essentially all was calm from then on - for me anyway, they were busy struggling with pans of water on the hob as boiler gave out... MW was very hands off, agreed I didn't need examinations but let me go with what my body was doing. Yes it was painful towards transition but the atmosphere was so much "this is my home, it's a safe place" that I was able to get through it ok. DH emptied pool, I went for a kip in our bed grin

Would have had HB for DD2 but she was early and so we had to go in. Still managed to get the same sort of atmosphere by staying mobile, minimal examinations, MW was brilliant and just observed and made gentle suggestions (you might want to take your trousers off now grin)

idiuntno57 Tue 14-May-13 20:29:50

My last two were homebirths. They were the two most amazing days of my life.

Felt completely in control and relaxed. So much so that I tweeted/facebooked the last one, hopping out of the pool to do updates until DS had to take over as I got a bit busy as it were.

Best bit was that after the births were over we just cleared up and got back to being a slightly bigger family.

Good luck

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now