homebirthers - tell me your lovely stories

(85 Posts)
littlemonkeychops Mon 13-May-13 08:47:15

Hi
I'm planning a homebirth for DC2, 38 weeks now. Had a straightforward birth with DC1 at MLU and only 5 mins from hospital if i need to transfer.

So, about 90% of the time i am excited and positive but for the last couple of days i've felt wobbly, not about the homebirth side of things i'm confident it's shat i want. Just suddenly nervous about the "argh i actually havd to go through labour again" aspect! I guess this is normal for a second birth?!

So please shard your positive homebirth stories, for some reason reading positive stories makes me feel less wobbly!

Thanks

Startail Thu 16-May-13 20:36:38

Chromolithograph (I'm going to have to google that)

That is why DD1 was here to see her sister being born. Since she took 27hrs I thought I'd just get DF to pick her up in the morning.

Of course DD2 arrived in 7 hours and I never got round to dragging DF out of bed. She did arrive in the afternoon with her DH and her two DDs who loved meeting a tiny baby. As non siblings the hospital wouldn't have let them. After a play she swept DD1 off for tea and DH, DD2 and me had some well earned sleep.

NoHank Fri 17-May-13 18:39:45

Chromolithograph that's really interesting. DS was 6 hours, DD 3.5

TeWiSavesTheDay Fri 17-May-13 18:56:51

I had a planned homebirth with DC2/DS - partly because of the quicker labour theory (DC1/DD was born after an 8hr labour, and ky mum had a VERY quick second labour)

I went into labour on the 23rd December, Christmas shopping at 9am in waitrose with DD! Got a taxi home and rang DH to cone home straight away, and a friend who was looking after DD. Then things slowed down. By the end of the day contractions were still mild and far apart so we got DD home and put her to bed.

I tried to sleep for a bit but found the contractions were worse lying in bed, so I ended up ringing my lovely MW, who was on call to come and see me. She sat up all night with me and DP, chatting while I bounced on birthing ball and played with a juggling ball/counted. At the end if her shift I was still only 1cm dilated! not massively painful, but regular contractions.

In the morning - Christmas eve - Next shift started, about 24hrs after contractions had started, we sent DD back to my friend, and next MW suggested I rest, try and have a bath, DH have a nap etc, and that got me until lunchtime. When I was finally 4cms! In more pain, and very grateful for gas and air. The rest of the labour I spent on my side lying on my sofa with gas and air. At pushing stage I lay on my back (I like to deliver on my back) and DH used cold flannels on my forehead to cool me down.

DS was born about 7pm, DD came home all of about 20mins later, gave him and kiss and said hello, then went to bed.

DH made me a pizza grin MWs finished, cleared up the front room + paperwork and went home, we set up all the Christmas presents under the tree then took DS to bed and the morning was quite honestly the world's best Christmas!

No explanation for why he didn't arrive in the expected 4hrs mind, and dragged it out for 36 instead.hmmgrin

littlemonkeychops Sat 01-Jun-13 21:13:20

Hi it's OP here.

Well i had my homebirth last night!! Over the moon wifh our gorgeous DD :-)

It was everything i'd hoped it would be, calmer, me in control, quicker, no tearing and wonderful when DD1 came in to meet her new sibling. Welling up just thinking about it! And as for the bath in my own bath afterwards, best bath i've ever had in my life!!

Thanks to everyone who shared their stories and inspired me to go for it!

EarlGreyTeabag Sat 01-Jun-13 21:21:36

Congratulations and flowers to you!

I followed your thread (but wasn't on it) & also had a wonderful home birth for my third. One of the best experiences of my life.

So glad it went well!

Congratulations! So glad all went well grin

themidwife Sun 02-Jun-13 07:45:33

Congratulations Monkey!! Glad it all went well! thanks

wouldyoupleasemove Sun 02-Jun-13 11:43:36

Big congrats

BlackBagBorderBinLiner Sun 02-Jun-13 13:18:07

grin

There should be a national holiday.

lucjam Sun 02-Jun-13 22:03:03

Awww sounds great, well done and congrats xxx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now