Noisy or not....

(51 Posts)
ReadyToPop77 Sun 12-May-13 15:41:33

Did u find being vocal during labour help with the pain...?? Just reading JuJu Sundin's book & she advises to be vocal with Aaahhh's etc. I'm quite reserved & worry that I'd embarrass myself! But I expect in the throes of labour I won't actually give a shit smile
This is my first baby (due on tues) so no horror stories pls!! thanks

gwenniebee Mon 13-May-13 09:06:27

I had my mouth clamped round the gas and air and just breathed.... but when I wasn't near it (like when I had to go to the loo) I was significantly screamy, I believe.

CheungFun Mon 13-May-13 09:12:55

For me it was nothing like I'd seen on tv with the screaming and rushing into hospital when the waters break etc. which was what I was expecting! I found my contractions came on pretty fast and strong so by the time I realised I was in labour I was having a lot of pain from the contractions so I was just concentrating on breathing through the contractions, I also felt like biting down, so I was in the bath at home for an hour and biting on the nearest flannel grin

It was painful, but with breathing through and taking one contraction at a time I found it manageable and no screaming or anything. I surprised myself! The lady next door after I'd had DS was quite vocal, but more in a groaning 'ahhhhhh' type of way.

Good luck and enjoy your newborn cuddles!

IrritatingInfinity Mon 13-May-13 09:20:42

You try having a 9lb baby with a big head in less than 50 minutes from start to finish ...... grin. Of course I screamed!

I was in the US and the nurse was really stroppy with me for screaming and when I flipped onto my hands and knees she shouted at me blush.

5madthings Mon 13-May-13 09:40:36

irritating try 10lb 13oz with a head circumference off the top if the chart at 42cm! In less than an hour from start to finish, thankgod i was in the birth pool and had gas and air, i 'moooed' loudly! grin

5madthings Mon 13-May-13 09:42:20

And grr to your nurse, i would have told her to fuck off! I had a lovely midwife who just sat by the side of the pool and told me how well i was doing, tho she didnt talk much as i think she could tell i found it distracting, she was really lovely tho smile

chattychattyboomba Mon 13-May-13 10:34:08

Isn't it fantastic when you have a kind mw. They make all the difference. Whenever i cried 'it hurts' mine would say 'i know darling, i know'.. It was the best tactic as then i felt validated which gave me the strength in myself to keep going. Sorry- slightly off topic! Lol...(another 10.4 pounder - water birth)

ElizaDoLots Mon 13-May-13 10:37:16

I told my DH once that I was surprised I was so quiet during labour, and he gave me a hmm look - no idea how noisy I really was.

DawnOfTheDee Mon 13-May-13 10:39:57

I was surprisingly quiet. Tried doing some moaning at one point but it was just too much effort for me.

LifeOfPee Mon 13-May-13 10:43:51

Yes, very moany and groany during both my labours. Was told to be quiet for 2nd stage with DD, so I was. I'd had an epidural though so didn't feel her head crowning. I was, however, quite screamy for 2nd stage with DS. He was a much bigger baby and I only had G+A so it stung.

Thankfully both 2nd stages were quick, 20 minutes for DD and only 10 for DS. It hurts like nothing else can but it's over quick and then you have a lovely baby so it's all OK. smile

Good luck OP.

JoJoCK Mon 13-May-13 10:44:40

I screamed the house down for the last hour of my labour op and no-one told me to be quiet!! I couldn't have done if I tried! I was actually fully dilated and the midwives thought I was 2cm, ha,ha! Definitely go with the flow and do what works for you.

pictish Mon 13-May-13 10:46:38

1. No
2. YES!!
3. Quite.

They were all different.

lookingfoxy Mon 13-May-13 14:10:40

I made some very strange noises that resembled a cow mooing, I alsoscreamed my head off at the crowning bit and wouldnt have heard the midwife anyway I was so loud. She was shouting something but I have no idea what.

IrritatingInfinity Mon 13-May-13 14:12:40

5MadThings
10lb 13oz with a head circumference off the top if the chart at 42cm!

That doesn't bare thinking about. shock

YoniYoniNameLeft Mon 13-May-13 14:14:23

ChubbyKitty grin at your mum not swearing. I was very proud of myself because I didn't swear either and I have a mouth like a marine usually!

I was pretty much quiet during all my labours, but obviously towards the end of them rather ahhhh oooh, it can't be helped, it's nature!
Did get rather scared with pfb labour though, as the woman next door let out many horrific screams that really put the frighteners on meconfused

I screamed at one point, and it felt fabulous! I remember the MW telling me to stop shouting and concentrate and I shouted back that screaming was helping me concentrate!!

I loved being able to be that noisy, it felt very primal. I did go very quiet during the actual crowing apparently (don't remember that bit).

Limelight Mon 13-May-13 20:17:29

I don't know if it helped but I was certainly noisy. I'm quite noisy in real life though so not a surprise - my loving DH says I have no volume control.

When having DD, I'd been dumped on a ward (waiting to be induced) and the 'lovely' staff didn't believe that I was in labour. So it was really very satisfying to shout 'I am having a fucking baby fucking right fucking now' at top volume across the nice quiet ward as she popped out. Lucky that DH was there to catch her! wink

kotinka Mon 13-May-13 20:19:37

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

I didn't think I was making a sound but at one point I went to make a comment about the howling gale outside and that was when I realised that god-awful noise was coming from me! Hadn't even realised, although was off my face on class A's by that point... blush All the best with your new baby OP.

happyyonisleepyyoni Tue 14-May-13 12:18:23

Another grunter here (during pushing!) Its the most bizarre noise I've ever heard myself make!!

Dogsmom Tue 14-May-13 20:43:07

I didn't make much noise despite being in horrific pain as dd was back to back but I'm not a noisy person in day to day life.

My bum however was very noisy, I've never farted so much in my life, all involuntary and I apologised after each one......

AuntPittypat Tue 14-May-13 21:02:09

Pretty sure I was a moo-er and grunter, but I can't really remember. However, I do remember much too clearly the far more embarrassing things I kept shouting while absolutely off my head on gas and air. This mainly involved me apologising in advance to everyone in the room (and to everyone within a mile radius if OH's account of my loudness is to be believed) for 'no doubt doing a massive poo' at some point during the proceedings. Including at one point trying to work out how to say it in Spanish and French. No idea why as both midwives were English.blush

And after all that, I didn't even poo! smile

Mother2many Tue 14-May-13 21:03:33

Yep...I was very noisy,....even screamed... The nurse remember me, which surprised me and I said, how did you remember me? She said, she was there when I gave birth to my son 3 yrs earlier... LOL

scaredbutexcited Fri 17-May-13 15:10:57

I was quiet and just concentrating on breathing and pushing. Just how it felt best at the time though. However it feels best on the day is what's right for you. They will have heard it all before!

HadALittleFaithBaby Sat 18-May-13 15:28:34

Oh I was loud! I had a speedy labour (induced at 5.30, asked to push at 7, DD born at 7.22!). My DH and MW had to keep telling me to breathe because I was too busy screaming! The breathing helped me get through the contractions actually so the screaming was kind of counterproductive but in my defense it was so rapid the only pain relief I got was paracetamol and dihydrocodiene and a tens machine so it hurt!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now