Spirituality and giving birth

(5 Posts)
Winetime1981 Sun 12-May-13 13:16:11

After a more natural birth than the first time around I felt labour was a strangely spritual experience.

I can't really explain more without baring my soul but this article pins it down in a way I never could.

Can anyone else relate?

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1595067/

Winetime1981 Sun 12-May-13 13:33:38

* strangely spiritual!

Minifingers Sun 12-May-13 17:15:43

I've seen Christian and Muslim women praying intensely during labour and been very moved by it. One Muslim couple I witnessed praying together during contractions. It was really beautiful - I had tears in my eyes watching them.

Winetime1981 Sun 12-May-13 17:37:26

That's so lovely mini - maybe I needed some faith!

ChildOfThe1980s Tue 14-May-13 09:44:04

Good article. When I was in labour I felt very close to death (but not necessarily in a bad way, if that makes sense.) I panicked and had an epidural (fear of more pain being the main reason), but this time I am going to try to trust God and my body to do the job. We were made for it after all.

That isn't to say that I definitely won't have pain relief- I just have more faith in my body to do the job this time. Also, not being able to feel myself pushing my baby out meant that I missed out on something special last time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now