What's the difference between painful BH and early labour?

(17 Posts)
FrustratedSycamoresRocks Mon 06-May-13 18:07:06

Just that really.

Other than waiting it out. At what point is it too painful to be a BH?

josiejay Mon 06-May-13 18:20:02

I think braxton hicks usually ease if you change position, ie go from sitting to standing, but contractions don't. Good luck!

FrustratedSycamoresRocks Mon 06-May-13 18:25:50

Also feel like a need a wee. Constantly. and I've just been.

I'm walking around and they don't seem to be changing. And one I had earlier felt like it go worse when I stood up.

But they're intermingled with ones that don't even slightly hurt.

motherinferior Mon 06-May-13 18:30:08

In my case nothing - they just escalated till they clearly were labour.

I didn't realise I was in Labour with DC2 just thought they were braxtons. DH had secretly been timing me though, he told me I was in labout grin

FrustratedSycamoresRocks Mon 06-May-13 18:46:17

That's what I'm secretly hoping shattered when did yours start to hurt? As in at what point did you admit(?) you were in labour.

Dd1 started very clearly at 5mins apart. But I don't remember a thing about dd2.

Except the throwing up. Which I've just done.

Jojobump1986 Mon 06-May-13 20:11:30

I didn't have any BHs last time until after the waters broke. I told the mw I was getting v mild contractions at 5 minute intervals & she said they must be BHs because they'd started so close together! hmm They stayed at 5 min intervals for several hours before suddenly starting to get closer together & I realised she was wrong!

Can't you cross your legs for a few more days so they don't fuss about him being prem Frus? wink

FrustratedSycamoresRocks Mon 06-May-13 20:30:14

That's interesting jojo mine started at 5mins apart with dd1, and were like that for hours (and I didnt sodding dilate for hours either)

But I've never had my waters go naturally. They've been broken both times.

Just phoned mat ward. They said to have a bath and something to eat, and ring back if I need too. but because he's still moving, and it's only a few days of term, he's not early early, so would be okay if I am in labour.

Hope things progressing for you

The BH started about 8.30pm I was booked for an elective (breech) DH told me I was in labour about 9.15 and we got to hospital about 10.30. They were totally bearable till about 12, had some gas then had my section.
So about an hour of thinking they were BH

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

That was my first labour lunaticF! Might explain why I was so laid back about the labour BH 2nd time around as they were ridiculously pain free in comparison
Plus knowing I would be having a section. But the labour pains were totally totally different

MiaowTheCat Mon 06-May-13 21:16:10

I'd say go in just in case - I was in and out for a fortnight off and on with stop-start contractions (but they took things more seriously since I'd had a positive FFN test and a previous prem birth) that was either early labour, or an irritable uterus (and after night number 4 of it going on all night - a FUCKING irritable ME!).

When I went in as the pain got too much, wasn't officially in labour - wasn't dilated at all - and suddenly went from 0-10cm in minutes with my waters going and the baby arriving. Caught the doctor who'd examined me out and the very experienced midwife who delivered her said I'd caught her out as well as the pain I'd been in with them hadn't been consistent - I'd had a couple of humdinger ones, then one less so and so on... so she didn't quite expect me to go pop as spectacularly as I did!

As for the fussing over a prem thing... DD2 just snuk into 36 weeks - had a very quick and unobtrusive look over by one of the neonatal staff (matter of seconds) and came up onto the ward with me - only had to stay in because of them having some funny weighing regime with their preemies where they only got the scales out on them on certain days... felt such a bloody fraud when they were going on about "as she's a premature baby" and she's lying there as a 36 weeker weighing a whopping 7lb! (Her sister was a 33 weeker so an almost-full-termie felt massive to me!)

FrustratedSycamoresRocks Mon 06-May-13 21:30:15

Things seem to have come to a standstill after having a bath.

Not sure lunatic, if nothing happens over night I think I'll go doctors tomorrow and get check for a uti just in case.

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

FrustratedSycamoresRocks Tue 07-May-13 11:31:02

Nothing today. Also don't have the need to wee all the time either. Guess he wants to stay put for a while longer.

josiejay Tue 07-May-13 12:00:51

Maybe what was going on yesterday was baby wriggling down into position for the main event! I got a lot of braxton hicks and the urge to pee as dd was engaging. It's all good preparation anyway, however frustrating it might be.

Thinking positive labour thoughts for you then!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now