Would you like to have your delivery photographed?

(42 Posts)
seizethecamera Wed 01-May-13 09:18:34

I photographed a delivery recently and it was the most wonderful and moving experience. The parents asked me to be present and are now thrilled to have that moment documented.

I was certainly surprised to hear their request! I wonder if this would interest or horrify most expecting mothers?

MustTidyUpMustTidyUp Wed 01-May-13 09:19:12

Horrify!

MrsJohnDeere Wed 01-May-13 09:29:53

Horrify!

RuckAndRoll Wed 01-May-13 09:38:37

Definately not. Photos can come after baby is safely tucked up on my chest.

EssieW Wed 01-May-13 09:42:01

I would have said no but one of my independent midwives did take done photos when I was in labour and shortly after (ie a few minutes) and they are lovely.

EssieW Wed 01-May-13 09:42:35

That's 'some' photos obviously

TwentyTinyToes Wed 01-May-13 09:45:04

Ds - maybe, calm, serene waterbirth
Dd- no, induced, not so calm

Would quite like them to look back on,

TwentyTinyToes Wed 01-May-13 09:46:17

Ds - maybe, calm, serene waterbirth
Dd- no, induced, not so calm

Would quite like them to look back on privately, not the sort of pictures you put up!

DaisyFlower123 Wed 01-May-13 09:51:06

Horrify!! No, No, no!!!

ThedementedPenguin Wed 01-May-13 09:56:36

I'm not sure, it would be great to have some pictures of the baby straight away, however you don't know how labour is going to turn out and I would hate for there to be another person in the room.

abigboydidit Wed 01-May-13 12:22:12

No shock

TheSlug Wed 01-May-13 12:40:13

yes! (disclaimer- I'm not a mum and I might not be pregnant)

DontmindifIdo Wed 01-May-13 12:44:07

no, it was my most vunerable and most terrifying moments of my life - the photo I do have that DH took, taken about 10 minutes later when I'm snuggling DS to me, is one of the most beautiful photos I possess - it doesn't need a professional photographer.

seizethecamera Wed 01-May-13 12:46:07

So mostly no's with a few interested in capturing the beautiful moments to be able to look back on them. How about if your female photographer offered a bump, delivery and new baby in family package, from which you could choose one, two or all of the options. If you got to know the photographer and liked them, would you feel more comfortable arranging for them to be around, when you wanted, for the important moments?

I would love to see moments from the births of my two children, or a video. I would love to see what happend from another angle, as it were.

There aren't many photos from the time right after the birth of DD, in fact the photos start from the next day really due to the fact that lots of other stuff was happening. With DS though I have a wonderful picture of him and me that I took myself while DH was making calls. That'll do!

AtYourCervix Croatia Wed 01-May-13 12:47:26

Birth.

Pizzas are delivered.

seizethecamera Wed 01-May-13 13:33:40

good point AtYourCervix!

moogalicious Wed 01-May-13 13:37:26

grin I thought pizza/shopping delivery when I read the title.

seizethecamera Wed 01-May-13 14:13:16

accidental pun on the title, sorry ladies blush

Florin Wed 01-May-13 14:16:59

I had a very simple birth but one of my specific requests to my husband was no photos! I didn't want pics of me straight after birth either looking awful. We have of course got pictures of my ds straight after birth which are lovely.

seizethecamera Wed 01-May-13 14:20:43

LittleDirewolfBitJoffrey I wonder if there are more women who share your interest in documenting their births with video or photographs?

seizethecamera Wed 01-May-13 14:22:36

I shall continue my research! Thank you to everyone who has responded so far!

GingerDoodle Wed 01-May-13 21:12:02

Beforehand - I would have said hell no.

Now, given my experience - It might be nice, if unobtrusively and sensitively done.

However in my case; there was no time; my camera didn't even make it in with us (nor did the bag with towels!) until the morning after.

knittedflower Wed 01-May-13 22:05:49

I had photos taken of giving birth to my second child, at home in the water, I have some of my third child immediately afterwards, I didn't plan either way to have them photographed or not just told my sister to snap away with dc2 and not with dc3. Would not have considered it first time around but then one of my favourite photos was of her on my chest still blue. I am a midwife though and I kind of wanted to see how it looked when it was me having seen so many others go through it !

exoticfruits Wed 01-May-13 22:07:27

No! No one other than you would ever want to see it. The DC certainly won't!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now