Scared :(

(8 Posts)
laurajane89 Thu 25-Apr-13 13:12:06

Hi everyone i am 23yrs old, This is my first baby and im due in 4weeks and im really scared about giving birth i keep thinking im not going to push him out sad x

Firstly - Congratulations!

Secondly, don't be scared, your body will be doing some very hard work to make sure he emerges into the bright light of day (or middle of the night, more likely wink) when he's ready to come out.

You know, even if you do end up with an EMCS (and it does happen), it's not the end of the world and he'll get here and you'll get to hold him and wonder why you worried about the arrival method.

Very best of luck and wishing you an easy delivery.

StealthOfficialCrispTester Thu 25-Apr-13 13:20:22

remember how many women choose to have a second child!
IME it hurt but without the 'panic' I get with normal pain, there was no wondering what it was, why I was in pain etc. I knew that pain was normal in that situation which helped a lot.
Do a search on MN for positive birth stories, there are loads
Good luck!

Don't be scared. One way or another that baby will come out, and however it happens it will be right for you at that time. I 'm sure you will have heard loads of birth horror stories (why do people tell you them whilst you're pregnant?), but fwiw I actively enjoyed my labour and birth.

Also, at the end of it all you get a beautiful, squidgy, snuggly baby! Try to see it as a means to an end and focus on meeting your new baby at the finish, not the labour bit that comes first...

BoysRule Thu 25-Apr-13 13:22:52

Congratulations! I have pushed two big boys out and believe me your body just knows what to do. Firstly you won't be on your own - just think how many babies midwives have delivered, they are amazing. Secondly, when it comes to pushing, your body takes over and it just happens. You can't stop it!

If there is a problem and your baby can't be delivered naturally, again there will be medical professionals who know what to do and will help you. I echo what MoonlightandRoses says - once the baby is born and in your arms, how it got there will feel irrelevant.

Good luck xx

It is scary, it does hurt but it is soooooo worth it I promise! I've had four lots of very painful eye surgery and bei g pregnant had to be awake/under local and could only have paracetamol for pain relief confused but totally different pain than giving birth.

I'm not one who 'forgot the pain' as soon as I was holding my dc but was totally totally worth it. I'll be doing it again Sunday (third overdue induction confused) and yes I am scared but know what awaits the end if it grin good luck!!

Queenofknickers Thu 25-Apr-13 13:43:14

Trust your body and trust your midwife - can you talk to them about your fear at your next visit? They will be very understanding and reassuring I'm sure.

Your body is amazingly clever and so is medical science! The great part about the pushing bit is that your body takes over (bit like big poo blush TMI) and also it means labour is nearly over and you are about to meet your baby! smile

laurajane89 Thu 25-Apr-13 13:55:44

Thankyou everyone you have been a great help

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now