Ways to delay going into labour?

(21 Posts)
HenD19 Wed 24-Apr-13 19:12:32

I have a feeling that there is no real way to do this but am interested to see what you all think. I'm 38wks with DC3 and we are having our loft converted with the finish date being in 2/3wks time. I really don't want to bring a newborn back to our dusty, chaotic, unnested house so would love to have the baby as late as possible. Have felt as though labour may be starting today hence my question. Both my other DCs were late by 10 and 9 days so was hoping this baby would be too.

I think in Quantum Leap Sam once did something that involved alcohol and an IV line?

Jenny0101 Wed 24-Apr-13 19:15:41

I will advise that you don't get too old, or too overweight or too short. It seemed to me that women who were 37 or 38+ were likely to have their baby a bit earlier, especially if they were under 5'3".
I will be pasted for my lack of science here!!!! this is a straw poll of at least thirty people....

FrustratedSycamoresRocks Wed 24-Apr-13 19:48:53

I don't think I've ever come across anyone who wanted to delay labour before.

I guess you'd do the opposite of all the don't work old wives tales to go into labour.
So:
avoid pineapple,
Don't go on long walks
Don't stimulate your nipples
don't have sex
(Can't remember the rest)

Hth grin

Jenny0101 Wed 24-Apr-13 19:50:33

no curry?

Jenny0101 Wed 24-Apr-13 19:51:30

freddie i remember that episode!!

Parietal Wed 24-Apr-13 19:57:13

I tried as hard as possible to delay my no2 so I could get things done. Had warm bath each evening to relax & tried not to walk much or do much. She was 10 days late, but dunno if the baths really caused that.

Flisspaps Wed 24-Apr-13 19:59:37

Get pregnant later grin

Jenny - at least it's not just me with an encyclopaedic knowledge of shite American tv progs smile

Gooders79 Wed 24-Apr-13 20:15:05

I was desperate to delay by a couple of days at least, we were planned to move on Tuesday, due date Sunday before. Ds1 was 13 days late so was optimistic... Went into labour on due date and had a quick delivery once established... Avoided all of normal things to get things going apart from being quite active with prep for move and toddler to chase... Good luck.

Jenny0101 Wed 24-Apr-13 20:24:02

Shite?! twazn't shite! that was a good episode! if i remember rightly it was set on an army base or something? the father of the baby was a soldier!?

Jenny0101 Wed 24-Apr-13 20:25:57

I wasn't trying to delay or bring on, but I walked into town a day before my due date with dc1. I felt ok on the way there (3.4 k, so not that far) but the walk home, thought I would never, ever, ever get home. The next day I did go into labour. on my due date! so not sure that that really proves that a walk brings on labour!

Jenny you're right I think smile

And I think something was said about it doing no harm but giving her (the mother) a helluva hangover.

Jenny0101 Wed 24-Apr-13 20:49:01

When was this, 1986? 1988? I was probably supposed to be studying for state exams when I was slumped in a chair watching this stuff!

I can't remember and I was on my phone so googling was useless

Any ideas what I'd need to google?

HA!!!quantumleap.wikia.com/wiki/Genesis:_Part_II_(episode) there you go Hen that's what you need

ShowOfHands Wed 24-Apr-13 20:55:08

Some kind of bung maybe?

Being tall definitely helps. Could you concentrate on growing up a bit?

Jenny0101 Wed 24-Apr-13 21:00:13

omg, 24 years later i remember a randomly mentioned episode of quantum leap! i amaze myself. don't ask me to memorise the periodic table though.

grin I am well impressed I managed to find it

Jenny0101 Wed 24-Apr-13 21:45:52

So am I!

I'm rolling my eyes at myself here that I remembered the plot of that episode so closely but remember nothing I was taught in a similar period. You can't put 'encyclapaedic knowledge of quantum leap' on your cv. Can you?

HenD19 Wed 24-Apr-13 22:24:11

Some interesting ideas. I especially liked the get pregnant later one. Wish I'd thought of this9 months ago!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now