can i have acrylic nails/toenails during birth?

(11 Posts)
ditsydoll Wed 24-Apr-13 15:06:59

I only ask because I know they're not allowed during an op, including nailvarnish.
If I where to need a cesarean would it be ok for me to keep them on?

QTPie Wed 24-Apr-13 15:22:44

For an ELCS you are told no nail varnish.

Approx 1 in 4 births ends in CS.

Not sure what hey would do in an emergency/crash CS if you had them...

AuntieStella Wed 24-Apr-13 15:25:19

If it's an emergency, they'll deal with whatever is in front of them.

I'd go in with bare nails. Then you can treat yourself in the postnatal period, when you have enough energy for a little treat but no other part of your body is back to normal.

I normally have bioscupture gel on my nails. Stopped having it on my ties a few months ago as was going to have planned section, then changed plans. Not been able to reach my toes for a while to paint them smile. Maybe just have fingers fine get someone to paint toenails? If you have EMCS they will come over with nail varnish remover to check my friend found.

Ties? Toes!! 40+8 and going bonkers...

ditsydoll Wed 24-Apr-13 15:44:57

Thanks everyone. Maybe I'll just get a French polish on toes and acrylic on fingers then smile
Just fancied havinga pamper as I'm looking like a pale while beached whale at present

mayhew Wed 24-Apr-13 17:44:26

our anaesthetists recently requested that mothers did not wear acrylics in labour or for cs. The reason given was that, a quick way to check well-being is to press on a fingernail so the nailbed goes white and see how quickly the pink returns. Its called capilliary refill time. Acrylics hide this.

ditsydoll Wed 24-Apr-13 18:25:10

I'm not booked in for a cs though so as long as everything goes to plan it will just be a normal labour. Dc1 was just a straight forward 5 hour labour with a 15 minute pushing time and I had no complications. Fingers crossed I will have a similar experience this time.

Highlander Wed 24-Apr-13 22:30:53

If you're slim thy can put the pulse oximeter above your toe nail.

plannedshock Thu 25-Apr-13 03:58:00

I had planned section had French tip gel on nails and bare toenails was asked if I had any on to remove it-no one said to not wear it, but they said it was ok because they could see the colour of my toe nails and the gel was thin enough to get a reading through those finger clips!!

Meringue33 Thu 25-Apr-13 04:39:30

My lovely nails all got broken on the floor of the room where I was labouring, where I ended up writhing around shock

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now