First child born premature - could second one go to full term?

(16 Posts)
happygelfling Sun 21-Apr-13 09:00:51

I've just found out that I'm pregnant with my second child - wonderful news!
But, nr 1 was 7 weeks early, for no apparent reason. So I'm rather concerned that the same thing might happen with nr 2. (Nr 1 is absolutely fine now, but it was a very stressful experience!)
While we were in hospital with nr 1, we met lots of parents who were having their second or third prem baby... usually each baby was more prem than the last.
So, for some reassurance, I would love to hear from anyone who had a first child prem, then went on to full term with later children.
(I have asked my GP about the chances, but as they don't know why nr 1 was early, they can't begin to guess about nr 2.)
Grateful for any reassurance!

No statistics but a mum at preschool pregnant two weeks ahead if me. Her waters broke at 32 weeks (no reason found) had her dd at 33 I think. She had a section and wanted vbac this time which she got- she went 10 days over and narrowly massed second sration as they would not induce.

I'm still overdue (for the third time!!)

ChasingStaplers Sun 21-Apr-13 10:49:03

Friend of mine had her DS1 at 28 weeks. Other two were bang on time and late!

I had DD at 37 weeks, DS1 at 38 weeks and DS2 at 39+4

MadameJ Sun 21-Apr-13 15:23:36

I am in a similar position OP, DD was born at 34 weeks (no apparent reason), I am now 31 weeks pregnant with DC2 and oh my goodness my anxiety is high, I am symptom checking like mad but keeping everything crossed (literally!!!) that this one decides to stay put for at least 6 more weeks - Good luck x

MiaowTheCat Sun 21-Apr-13 16:37:39

First - 33 weeks
Second - 36 weeks and a whopping 7lb - I felt such a fraud when they were calling her premature! Yes we had to stay in a couple of days because of hospital proceedures and then her developing jaundice but no NICU or anything worse than having to fill in transitional care feeding sheets.

I did threaten early labour from 34 weeks (even then - contrary to the they always come earlier second time around theory) but they took it very seriously with a "proven" preemie behind me and I hung on in there until 36.

emsyj Sun 21-Apr-13 20:28:00

My DSis was born at 28 weeks, I was born on time. I had DD1 at 37 weeks and DD2 was 40+2 (following a sweep as I was really fed up by then - I had expected her to be earlier than DD1!)

sydlexic Sun 21-Apr-13 20:42:40

My first was 7 weeks early, the second on the due date.

BionicEmu Tue 23-Apr-13 10:06:57

My first was 7 weeks early - spontaneous, quick 2hour 20minute labour

With my second I was admitted at 27 weeks with contractions, given drip & injections and luckily labour fizzled out. Admitted again at 30 weeks, contracting again & 3 cm dilated. Drip again, & again labour stopped. After all that was induced at 37 weeks due to severe pain & limited mobility from per-existing spinal condition. Even had to have the drip as labour refused to get going by itself hmm Was an even quicker labour though - 1hour 7mins!

Bryzoan Tue 23-Apr-13 22:37:26

My first was born at 34. No known reason. Missed induction of the second by a whisker - at 42. Good luck! I say be ready early but keep your fingers crossed for good cooking!

happygelfling Tue 23-Apr-13 22:46:20

Thanks for all your encouraging messages!
My first also arrived fairly quickly, bionic emu, though not quite as fast as yours! From first indication (waters breaking) to baby arriving took 5 hours, and I was given some tablets to try to slow labour down... So I expect nr 2 will be faster.
Will try to relax. But as you suggest bryzoan, I should be ready from at least 30 weeks.

JaquelineHyde Tue 23-Apr-13 22:51:00

Hi just wanted to add my first DS was born prem for no reason at 34 weeks.

I'm currentlypregnant again and now over due at 40+5 and bloody fed up grin

Good luck, I'm sure everything will be fine!

2kidsintow Tue 23-Apr-13 22:52:58

Both of mine came early for no reason. Both 4 weeks early.

Hi OP - Hope you're feeling a bit more reassured.

Same as Bryzoan here.
DC1 born at 33 weeks - no reason found
DC2 born at 42 weeks - go figure! shock

Hope all goes well. smile

oohaveabanana Tue 23-Apr-13 23:01:56

DS was early - although only 35 weeks - no reason known.
Dd arrived two days after her due date. I was ready at 35 weeks, though smile

I looked into it at the time, and the best stats at the time suggested that there was an increase in your risk of having a prem baby if you'd already had one, but not so much as you might think.

HTH & good luck, OP!

DD1 was born at 34+6 (no reason, waters just went), DD2 at 39+2, DS threatened at 32+6 (tablets worked for me even though I had started dilating) and was born at 37+0. I'm currently 29+1 with DC4 and have already been treated for threatened pre-term labour at 27+0. I've had a positive Actim Partus test so it's highly likely that this baby will be prem but no idea how early.

If you want the official stats, I believe they are on the Bliss website. Bear in mind that the stats for the UK are different to the USA ones if you go hunting on the Internet.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now