piles - how long do they take to sort themselves out?

(13 Posts)
Msbluesky32 Thu 18-Apr-13 22:48:57

I gave birth a week and a half ago. I was in active labour for 12 hrs, pushing for two and as a result have given myself some horrendous piles. I bought some preparation h but it doesn't seem to be doing anything - anyone have any magic cures? Should I visit the doctor? How long did it take for yours to go? I had an episotomy (for Ventouse) so the whole area is pretty uncomfortable. Oh the glamour...

TerracottaPie Fri 19-Apr-13 08:53:14

I rang the doctor fairly soon after getting home last time and just asked for something for them. Got proctosedyl suppositories and cream prescribed which shrunk everything down fine (well, until now that is!).

Thinking about getting the prescription issued in advance this time just so I don't have the hassle of getting them post birth.

So yep, definitely get in touch with your GP and they can give you something more effective than over the counter.

Hope you start to feel better with them soon!

Oh and congratulations smile

space21 Fri 19-Apr-13 13:24:39

Suppositories, cream, pelvic floor exercises and ibuprofen. Mine were pretty bad but gone within a week with the above. Don't be squeamish about the suppository - they are so effective.

I've been too embarrassed to mention mine to the GP and they're still lingering 6 weeks on. I'd therefore recommend not ignoring them as they don't just go away!

SquarePolarBear Sat 20-Apr-13 17:15:19

I had nasty ones after birth of DS 8 weeks ago & posted a similar question! I ended up at the docs after a week of agony & getting special cream which really helped & they were practically gone in a week. Also did lots of pelvic floor exercises which helped. It's no fun & I completely sympathise! Get thee to the gp asap!

CloudSurfer Sat 20-Apr-13 17:48:31

Mine went in 4 weeks, but weren't terrible, I think they were mainly caused by constipation from being dehydrated with hyperemesis.

Try drinking extra water. Helps make weeing sting the cut area less if wee is more dilute too.

Msbluesky32 Sun 21-Apr-13 21:08:34

Thank you ladies, I will make a GP apmt ASAP !

cakelover75 Sun 21-Apr-13 21:49:23

Hi, also leave out a jug of water so you remember to drink as it's very easy to forget and become dehydrated. I sympathise, it's very unpleasant!

PoppyWearer Sun 21-Apr-13 21:54:34

Can I just add that, having pushed for 3 hours with my DC1, my pelvic floor was <ahem> quite weak when pregnant with DC2.

So, um, yes, don't neglect the pelvic floor before your next pregnancy! or buy shares in Tena Lady

AliceWChild Sun 21-Apr-13 22:01:03

Go to the drs. I'm only just recovering from similar 6 months on so get sorting it ASAP is my advice. I was in denial for a while.

rootypig Mon 22-Apr-13 08:36:23

mine took a couple of months, but they did go on their own.

GreatSoprendo Tue 23-Apr-13 15:18:34

Mine were horrendous, and combined with lots of stitches after 3rd degree tear I was in agony and struggling to sit long enough to BF my (giant!) baby.16 days after birth I can confirm they have improved enormously. Get both cream and suppositories and be liberal with them. Also take Fibrogel and lactulose so you don't have to strain.
Good luck - you have my sympathy smile

I don't have anything else to add really except to agree with the others-

lactulose & suppositories... anusol cream... drink lots of water, eat lots of fruit & veg... use wet wipes to wipe with after going to the loo.

It does get better I promise.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now