Anyone experience hallucinations with gas and air while in labour?

(34 Posts)
mylittlepuds Fri 12-Apr-13 12:12:59

When I had DS I had pethidine and had awful, awful nonsensical hallucinations before and after the birth. I didn't think to blame the gas and air.

Anyway I gave birth to DD the other day and once again terrible hallucinations - this time with a weird scary religious flavour - that have really disturbed me. This time though I refused the pethadine and just had the gas and air.

So anyway...after a bit of Googling i've found that a lot of women experience hallucinations with gas and air.

Or is I just the pain of childbirth that does it?

Any feedback appreciated.

mylittlepuds Fri 12-Apr-13 19:25:37

And why the hell did I have to have nightmarish ones instead of nice ones?!

Hrrrm Fri 12-Apr-13 19:33:15

envy Lackofshiningwaters that you got G&A for having the packs taken out. I didn't and it was so painful I begged the midwife to let me have a break as she pulled metres and metres of this weird stuff out of me... blush (Sorry for sidetrack, just never heard of anyone else who went through this particular experience!)

But yes, G&A made me hear cats meowing, and music. Apparently I threw a glass of water at then-H, but I have no recollection of this. Especially strange as I wasn't even cross at him. That came a year later

Hrrrm Fri 12-Apr-13 19:34:08

Oops sorry, Lakeofshiningwaters blush

lakeofshiningwaters Fri 12-Apr-13 20:30:02

Hrrrm I quite like it, might name change smile.

Blimey it was painful with G & A, poor you without. I think they were being extra nice to me as I'd just come out of Intensive Care. Prob wouldn't have given me it if they'd known I'd just laugh and laugh at their consultant!

ElliesWellies Sat 13-Apr-13 16:44:28

First labour: no effect whatsoever in terms of pain relief or hallucination, had an epidural shortly afterwards.

Second labour: I didn't really hallucinate, but I remember deciding to stop using it as I was in a birthing pool and the G&A was making me feel so stoned I was worried about slipping under the water! It was rubbish as pain relief, but it helped to bite on the mouthpiece.

WeeHans Sun 14-Apr-13 17:29:32

I love this thread (sorry I know some of these experiences are scary)

But having just given birth, and whilst on G&A:
A) sleazy winking and shooting thumbs up at my husband over the mid wife's shoulder
B) asking the midwife: "have I seen you on OBEM? Oh no, it wasn't that, was it 'my Transexual Summer?'

I feel qualified to join in.

mylittlepuds Sun 14-Apr-13 17:31:32

Weehans - you just made me splutter out my tea

mawbroon Sun 14-Apr-13 17:34:51

I had fantastic hallucinations whilst having a plaster cast fitted with just G&A.

I felt like I was whooshing UP the nearby dry skislope on a sledge! Then I whooshed back down again lying on my back looking at the stars!!

It was great, but when I came to, there were tears streaming down my face. I think the plastering plus the manipulating of my broken ankle were sorer than I realise!!

I then went on to have G&S for ds2's birth a few weeks later, and although I enjoyed it, I didn't hallucinate in the same way as I had before.

squidkid Sun 14-Apr-13 17:36:05

Yes - I was very trippy and didn't know where I was and felt quite out of it near the end. 30 hours of labour though so not sure if it was G&A or exhaustion!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now