I am planning a VBAC, however I am now 40+5 and had a failed sweep on Monday (at 40+2). I have said all along that I am quite against a chemical induction as it carries a two-threefold increase in likelihood of scar rupture so if I go significantly post dates I would prefer to opt for a repeat ELCS but would really really like to have this baby naturally. My hospital have been brilliant and very receptive to this.
However, my baby has been measuring big - between the 80th and 90th centiles. I am quite small - only 5'1". I am a but scared of leaving the baby to just grow and grow. I have been offered an ARM (breaking my waters) on Monday when I'll be 40+9. Has anyone experienced this? Did it send you into labour? Is it really painful?
I am just so fed up of being pregnant now that I'm considering letting them do it, but wonder if I'll regret it if it doesn't work and I end up with a section. What do people think? Hope this makes some sense!
I'd be wary of both chemical induction and arm tbh. Your waters give the baby considerable protection against infection and cushioning during labour. Growth scans can also be very unreliable. If baby is happy where he is I'd wait it out. (so easy for someone who isn't yet overdue to say, I know.!)
I had my waters broken and it didn't hurt me. I'd say it accelerated the contractions and within 2 hrs I had progressed a couple of cm, but I couldn't get past 7cm without chemical induction. Even then I couldn't get past 10cm and ended up with forceps (which I know someone people report worked for them but for me it left me with untold problems for a long time afterwards).
I am having ELCS because of my first experience so if I'm honest I am biased towards CS.
I cant help wondering if, whether someone who needs ARM might need the full works are they're just not ready to give birth yet? I can't back that up with evidence it's just my suspicion.
Whichever route you choose is uncertain because that's the nature of childbirth, but I hope you come to a peaceful decision and have a really positive birth
The overwhelming odds are that you will go into labour by 40+14. You are being offered ARM 5 days before that, if your fear is big growth then that is not a good reason to take intervention 5 days earlier than strictly necessary, there is unlikely to be much growth in 5 days (in fact my consultant said growth slows the more overdue you are as the placenta functions less efficiently). If they could not give you a sweep how will they break your waters? They need you to be a little dilated to get the hook inside.
Sorry, I may have been misleading there. The actual sweep on Monday was successful as in, they managed to do it. It's just that it didn't have the desired effect. She said I was about 1- 2cm and she could easily feel the baby's head. thanks for all the advice, to be honest you've just backed up what I felt anyway, that it'd be best to wait it out. Just so fed up and want it to start, but really that's not a good enough reason to start interfering is it? Will try to hang fire and push for just another sweep on Monday. Thanks all
If you are going to let them break your waters make sure baby is in a good position first. If baby is back to back when your waters go it is much harder for them to turn. Read this article if you are interested in this subject. Best of luck with your delivery. I hope it's the experience you wish for!