VBAC stories please.

(17 Posts)
AMR73 Sat 13-Apr-13 18:28:00

Had a positive experience with my labour (birthing pool, hypnobirthing). Think that trying to relax and not worry about the process made a huge difference for me. Waters broke 2.30am (which woke me up), Husband took me to hospital and baby born in birthing pool 7.26am. Had to get some stitches after but I didn't feel anything at the time (have heard that the pushing numbs downstairs). (also avoided watching OBEM and any other TV progammes which in my view give negative impression of childbirth- I would have been having nightmares if I had watched them beforehand!) Good to have a birth plan in place beforehand so that hospital know your wishes. That said, I didn't rule out pain relief or intervention as each birth is unique and no-one knows what Mother Nature has planned. Trust yourself to know what is best for you and your Baby. Hope all goes well.

abigboydidit Fri 12-Apr-13 19:22:11

DS - failed induction. 2 day ordeal with pessary, drip, epidural ending in ECS
DD - following discussion with consultant agreed to go for VBAC but was not for induction & not for drip during labour. Less than 12 hour labour but there were complications (I became unwell) & I had no urge to push. Then DDs heart rate dropped so was rushed to theatre for episiotomy and forceps lift out.

The plus side? Far quicker recovery. I mean my recovery from CS was good but this was so much better! The bad? Forceps damage that I won't go into. In all honesty I just don't think am built for popping out babies! Glad I did VBAC and was right decision for my situation but if there is ever a DC3 I will be asking for ELCS.

Good luck!

CareerGirl01 Thu 11-Apr-13 16:08:20

I'm booked in for a ELCS at 39 weeks but my EMCS with DC1 was because she got stuck - was fully dilated etc etc. I wanted a VBAC but in the end was booked in because I had a couple of bleeds at 29/30 weeks. If I go into labour earlier then am going to try VBAC knowing they won't let me try for long! Lucky you good luck

missorinoco Thu 11-Apr-13 10:07:23

I found with my VBAC it was much more controlled, but not overmedicalised if you see the distinction.

At each step they reassessed and made an active plan as to what to do next. For example at one stage with my second delivery I hadn't dilated quite as fast as they expected. They decided to give it another hour, but if things weren't moving to intervene. (And it worked). I really felt there was an active controlled plan within which they would allow deviations.

That still makes it sounds horribly medicalised, and it wasn't.

Notafoodbabyanymore Wed 10-Apr-13 11:44:14

Thanks again. Mrs Hoolie, you are right, I am much more relaxed about it this time. I'll give the VBAC my best shot, but if it doesn't happen I'm not going to be stubborn and knacker myself like last time!

Appreciate all the replies.

eatyourveg Wed 10-Apr-13 08:33:41

If I was to be pregnant again (unlikely as I'm far too old now) I would try to go for another VBAC, I went for an elcs for ds3 simply because my tear was relatively new in terms of healing but thats years ago now and had there been a longer gap between ds2 and ds3 I wouldn't have been worried about the tear opening up again

All the best

MrsHoolie Wed 10-Apr-13 08:16:28

I think you should go for it as you sound like you'd like to try.

This time you will have a more open mind. My hospital was pro vbac although supported me either way with regards to a c section.

The recovery after my second c section was loads easier as I hadn't been in labour for two days beforehand.

Good luck!

I had a vbac and it was absolutely fine - I'd do it again without a worry. I found the pain manageable so didn't need pain relief until an injection at the end when I needed a cut and ventouse assistance (DD's head was on 97th percentile so she got a bit stuck!). The stitching was very tidy, and completely healed after 5 weeks. I was out for a walk the day after the birth, and felt great.

All I'd add is keep your shoulders and chest relaxed when pushing. I didn't and tore my chest muscles. That was the most painful bit of the whole thing.

Notafoodbabyanymore Wed 10-Apr-13 03:14:53

Thanks so much for all your responses, great to hear a variety of experiences.

My EMCS was due to failure to progress (I love that term too hmm) DD was back to back with her head thrown back, she wasn't going to budge! Surgeons told me there was no reason I shouldn't try for a VBAC this time.

I guess I now just feel the same anxiety as someone approaching their first vaginal birth, with the added thoughts of scars rupturing etc. So it's great to hear overall positive experiences.

Thanks again, I'll let you know how I get on!

eatyourveg Tue 09-Apr-13 21:56:30

EMCS ds1
VBAC ds2 3rd degree tear failed ventouse and ended up with forceps and scbu for 5 days
ELCS ds3

Despite it being all a bit horrid I'm really glad I went for VBAC so don't be put off by anything you read here, you go for what you are happy with and the medical staff believe is the right thing for you both

Hedgepig Tue 09-Apr-13 21:52:08

I had a cs with DS1 as he was breech, no labour.

I had VBAC for DS2, waters went with meconeum in them I didn't start labour naturally (I suppose my body had never done it so didn't have a clue what to do) . I was induced with a drip DS2 appeared about 12 hrs later with a bit of ventouse help. Maybe not everyone's ideal birth but for me it was a very positive experience and the recovery was so much better. Good luck with your birth

missorinoco Tue 09-Apr-13 21:47:19

2 VBACs here after an EMCS.

Good luck!

muffins Tue 09-Apr-13 21:45:33

I had an EMCS fully dilated with DC1 for Fetal distress. I went for a vbac with DC2 and ended up with another EMCS but under GA, again for Fetal distress. Still really glad I tried for the vbac though.
My labour was loads quicker too (bout an hour to get to fully dilated!) even though I've not had a vaginal delivery with first. 1st labour was about 5 hours.

Good luck, come back and let us know how you get on!

Muffins x

MrsHoolie Tue 09-Apr-13 19:11:53

Why did you have an EMCS?

I have had two EMCS,both for failure to progress (love that term...not!).

I'm glad I tried a vbac but it wasn't to be for me.

Notafoodbabyanymore Tue 09-Apr-13 16:00:30

Thanks BlueSky, that's really encouraging. I'm kind of nervous and excited at the same time, and happy to hear good or bad stories, just want to get a bit of an idea about what to expect.

BlueSkySoftSand Tue 09-Apr-13 14:15:35

Me! Had VBAC after very very long labour and EMCS with DC1. Was absolutely fine (well, won't deny - it hurt!) and no complications. Due with DC3 and will be a VBAC again, but with the knowledge that if for some reason I don't progress then it will be off to theatre for me.

Best of luck!

Notafoodbabyanymore Tue 09-Apr-13 10:57:34

Just that really. I'm due with DC2 in a week and a half. Had a 71 hour labour with DC1, followed by EMCS. Hoping for VBAC this time, would love to hear other's experiences. Thanks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now