Bleeding after birth

(7 Posts)
JoyfulJoyful Fri 05-Apr-13 17:32:56

Hello all

I had a baby exactly 7 weeks ago and bled continously for abour 4 weeks. After 4 weeks I stopped but started spotting for almost a week and a half then stopped completey for about 5 days only to see blood again and it's fresh. I discussed this with the Dr and she said to keep an eye on it which has made me a bit worried.

Does anyone have any experience of this and I know it is not my period.

ShowOfHands Fri 05-Apr-13 17:36:26

It can happen when you start doing too much. The wound where your placenta was is the size of a dinnerplate and if you do too much too soon, it can be aggravated.

Did they tell you what to keep an eye on? It can sometimes be a sign of infection and you just need to make sure it doesn't smell, change to a strange colour or that you don't have a temp or feel ill.

Take it easy for a little while and see if it's eased in a couple of days. Any pain, strange odour, fever etc then go back to the doc.

JoyfulJoyful Fri 05-Apr-13 17:40:16

Thanks Showofhands but I have been taking it very easy and haven't done anything stressful. There is no smell, fever or colour just fresh blood. Dr said it shouldn't be happening so should keep an eye out on the bleeding.

barleysugar Fri 05-Apr-13 17:43:05

It could well be the start of your next period, sorry. I bled for about 6 weeks each time, then had only a short respite before the next period started!

JoyfulJoyful Fri 05-Apr-13 18:02:44

Thanks Barley but I don't think it's my period because the bleeding has stopped and started a few times now.

IceCubes Fri 05-Apr-13 18:09:44

I had this too, it went on for weeks. No smell of anything nasty but I made a fuss and I was eventually sent for an ultrasound and I had a 2x2cm piece of placenta left behind after my C-Section. I didn't need surgery but they kept a good eye on it and gave me antibiotics just in case. I had regular scans and eventually a pill to stop the bleeding. Definitely worth asking for a scan if it continues. Good luck!!!

JoyfulJoyful Fri 05-Apr-13 18:17:44

Thanks Icecubes, will go back to the GP and request a scan.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now