Long early labour

(42 Posts)
Newmum2013 Thu 04-Apr-13 21:01:44

Hi all. I'll try to keep this short. I'm 40+10 and started with contractions yesterday afternoon. They haven't stopped all through night and at one point were averaging every 8 mins.

Throughout the day the same has happened and pains got stronger. However went in the bath and had some tea and now lucky if I get one every 15 mins

Just wondering if anyone has had any experience of this and whether they will progress or just stop?!

Thanks in advance

wedontplaywithelectrics Mon 08-Apr-13 23:07:51

Ahh,huge congrats on the birth of your son. Reading this post brought back so many memories of my son's birth two years ago...it was a 4 day marathon! Enjoy all the snuggles now he's finally here,little pickle x

Congratulations thanks

HPsauceonbaconbuttiesmmm Mon 08-Apr-13 08:14:53

Congratulations! Hope you get home soon.

glorious Mon 08-Apr-13 03:54:37

Hooray, congratulations! thanks

fuckwittery Mon 08-Apr-13 00:55:20

Well done! It's amazing that all that pain is so worth it at the end! Come back and tell us more if you want to write it down later on, but enjoy your lovely newborn cuddles for now!

MrsHoolie Sun 07-Apr-13 22:59:06

Congratulations!

Rookiebfcounsellor Sun 07-Apr-13 21:29:17

So pleased for you and congratulations!!! grin

Newmum2013 Sun 07-Apr-13 20:41:26

Well I finally have gorgeous boy after a horrendous labour!! But looking at him now makes it all worth while. He was born Sunday morning at 215. Thanks again for all your words of wisdom xx

glorious Sat 06-Apr-13 17:40:22

thinking of you OP smile

HPsauceonbaconbuttiesmmm Sat 06-Apr-13 13:16:38

Assume from the silence you're now in hospital having your baby, hope so anyway! Wishing you a speedy end to this hard work and lots of newborn cuddles very soon.

fuckwittery Sat 06-Apr-13 09:25:17

Oh newmum, poor poor you, this is exactly what happened with my first labour. I second the trying to nest in a dark room. Although you have "only" got to 2cm this is actually a brilliant start, you cervix will have been thinning as well, and with mine, DD was in a bad position and all the "useless" cotnractions that I thought were doing nothing (what, 48 hours and only 3cm), were actually her trying to get into a better position. Hope things got going overnight.

glorious Sat 06-Apr-13 07:31:50

oh no sad Hope you've had a good night. It will end and you will have your lovely baby.

Welovegrapes Fri 05-Apr-13 23:30:43

Oh new mum - poor you! If you get some sleep now, hopefully all will kick off properly.

Un MN hugs

xx

Newmum2013 Fri 05-Apr-13 23:15:31

Well I wish I could say my baby haa arrived but instead im back at home. Went to hospital with strong contractions but was only 2cm. Sent home and an hour later they calmed right down. No idea what's going on but im shattered. Going to try get some sleep but typically getting a few more strong ones coming through x

glorious Fri 05-Apr-13 18:49:38

hooray!

Welovegrapes Fri 05-Apr-13 18:47:09

Looking forward to seeing your next post when it's all over and you are home! smile

Good luck newmum, soon you will meet your baby grin

fuckwittery Fri 05-Apr-13 17:35:04

Good luck! Hope you managed to rest! Remember, every contraction takes you one closer to your baby smile

HPsauceonbaconbuttiesmmm Fri 05-Apr-13 16:11:02

Oh exciting! Fingers crossed it goes quickly and smoothly from here. Good luck.

Welovegrapes Fri 05-Apr-13 16:02:46

Yay - probably on your way grin

Newmum2013 Fri 05-Apr-13 16:00:36

Quick update! Had three lots of five minute contractions and they really strong now! Fingers crossed things are kicking off finally. Thanks for your adviceetc. Been a wwelcome distraction and made me feel like I'm not the obly
one going through this

Xx

NAR4 Fri 05-Apr-13 15:53:42

I was contracting like you at the beginning of my last labour. After a 2nd night I decided I wanted the midwife to check if I was dilating at all, so went for a check at the labour ward. The midwife checked and I was only 2cm but the check seemed to REALLY get things moving as I needed to push within 15 minutes.

Might be worth getting checked. Maybe your community midwife would do a home visit for you. Could put your mind at rest and be encouraging to know you have started to dilate. You might get lucky like me and get things kick started as well.

PrincessOfChina Fri 05-Apr-13 11:15:19

I had a very long labour (started Sunday night, contractions every five minutes by Monday night, took until Thursday to get to 8cm and then had EMCS for FTP). Please try and eat regularly and get as much rest as possible. I was so exhausted the first night I had DD that I didn't know who she was sad

AmandaPayneAteTooMuchChocolate Fri 05-Apr-13 10:49:58

If things are picking up, you might want to think about hiding the watch, closing the curtains and just sort of abandoning yourself into it for a while. For some women, the pure act of keeping an eye on the timing, worrying when there's a longer gap, etc can inhibit things. Might be worth a go?

SuffolkNWhat Fri 05-Apr-13 10:45:48

I had 10 days of prodomal labour (contracting, non Braxton Hicks but also non dilating) followed by 2 days of early labour to get to 4cm and then another day to get to 10cm.

You have my utmost sympathies and my advice is to rest as much as you can because it's exhausting. My body stopped contracting at 6cm because I was so tired meaning I needed the drip and intervention.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now