How soon after giving birth did your SPD disappear?

(35 Posts)
atrcts Sun 31-Mar-13 08:40:54

The reason I ask is that I developed SPD after forceps delivery with my first baby and had not experienced any problems at all during the pregnancy. I had Physio and the pain stayed with me until my son's second birthday when it finally went fully.

I am pregnant with my second, and this time round I developed mild SPD at about 22 weeks which is slowly worsening. Having never experienced it actually IN PREGNANCY before (only after giving birth), I don't really know what range of recovery I can expect.

Also not sure whether the fact I'll be having a CS this time round will make any difference? At least any difference other than no more dreaded forceps damage!!!

openerofjars Mon 06-May-13 12:14:15

Dd is nearly a year old now and I'm laid up on the sofa having overdone it yesterday somehow and am paying for it now. Feels like my pelvis is going to come undone at the front!

It went immediately the day I had a section. I had been on crutches some days so it was quite bad.

Ilelo Sat 27-Apr-13 19:30:02

Similar to Landof... mine's never gone away either. It started when I was 18 weeks pregnant with my dd2 and she will be 4 in July. It may have been triggered by having to stand for long journeys on the tube and subsequently prolonged due to having a coil fitted shortly after giving birth.

Had the NHS physio which didn't help. I've had x-rays on the NHS and seen Consultants but I've only come away with, "there is no cure for it and to learn to manage it". Have to sleep on my back or on chest, the pain is constant in my right hip and occasionally in the left and worse close to my period.

It's the pain that's brought me to search on here and I'll be trying a Chiropractor like someone suggested.

GTbaby Mon 08-Apr-13 22:16:13

Haven't read other posts. My SPd started in month 6. So late. N was very painful by the end. Disappeared a week after.

However I would really recommend you ask your gp for a referral to women's health Physio as you had problems for so Long after. Doing done work now may help you heal faster.

notcitrus Mon 08-Apr-13 22:15:30

I had a ventouse delivery both times, first time with DH and medics ensuring my knees didn't get too far apart, about 40 cm max, but second time they used "gynae boots", rather like ski boots they put on my feet to hold them in place and not allow my legs to flop despite the epidural. Sort of reverse stirrups. Very comfy!

notcitrus Mon 08-Apr-13 22:10:06

First preg, pain from 17 weeks, unable to walk by 24 weeks, somewhat better just after birth but then went back at 3 weeks as there was this slightly different pain. Physiology pointed out I hadn't used any of my buttock and other muscles for 5 months and that's what hurt!
Lots of prescribed walking and exercise and I was fully fit by the time ds was 5 months - the actual SPD was gone much earlier.

With dd I was in bed a lot for other reasons so the SPD was manageable. I got to the stage of deciding to call the wheelchair hire company in the morning and then by 4am it dawned on me I was in labour. Instant recovery after birth, though still needing to build up fitness. Sore hips when I stand for long, but that's about it a year on, and mostly unrelated.

octanegirl Mon 08-Apr-13 21:50:51

Straight after he was born. Amazing! After months of limping.

happynappies Mon 08-Apr-13 03:59:14

Like you I developed SPD during the birth of dd#1, I had my legs hooked into stirrups after epidural, and stayed there for ventouse and then stitching post birth, was on crutches for weeks... Horrible. I then developed SPD in each of my next three pregnancies despite careful movement, chiropractic, support belt etc. it was more manageable after birth, I had three natural deliveries, and birth plan stipulating no lithotomy position due to SPD, and trained DH not to let me into any position that would exacerbate the condition. I still suffer from time to time, but think possibly due to underlying weakened pelvis. It was totally different to first birth, despite much earlier onset. Good luck op.

in last 3 weeks with 1st pregnancy, disappeared as soon as he was born

2nd pregnancy kicked in at about 15weeks, I didn't end up on crutches but unless I was very careful turning over in bed, missed an osteopath appointment (had them weekly from 20weeks) or walked more than 10mins it was awful the next day. I cycled til I was 8months pregnant because it meant not having to walk anyway (i had to keep some sort of exercise too, a day on the sofa meant agony the following day)

Was painful during labour then disappeared within about 24hours of a very quick birth. Although I occasionally get a slight twinge, come to think of it, tends to be around TOTM

Twinklestarstwinklestars Mon 08-Apr-13 02:45:13

I didn't get back to normal until ds was about 2, then I fractured my hip now I'm pregnant again so I've had pelvic/hip pain for the last 3.5 years! Am hoping it goes away faster this time but am under a physio and rhuematologist anyway so hopefully they'll get it sorted!

Chunderella Sun 07-Apr-13 10:24:31

I had it to a moderate degree in pregnancy, nothing too awful. Still get twinges now, DD is 8 months.

Manchesterhistorygirl Wed 03-Apr-13 21:30:12

Apparently so. confused

Pollaidh Wed 03-Apr-13 13:08:19

Manchester hopefully you know not to do breast stroke while suffering SPD? It will make the pelvis situation worse and possibly put your pelvis out...

Manchesterhistorygirl Tue 02-Apr-13 21:40:34

I wish is taken the offered elcs offered to me with ds2, labour really didn't help matters.

Can I remind you ladies to not over do it, I put my pelvis out today whilst swimming. I've decided to give up bf and am gradually weaning ds2 now, I need to start recovering my health more and he's 2.4 now.

Pollaidh Tue 02-Apr-13 20:44:26

SPD in first pregnancy started around 10 weeks, on crutches by 5 and a half months, weekly physio. I was also in really good shape before getting pregnant. After giving birth they put me in stirrups to do repairs, that made it even worse. Still on crutches for a couple of months after birth. Pain slowly decreased but definite improvement once I stopped breastfeeding. However for 2 years after birth still limping, couldn't walk more than about 30 minutes without pain, more pain in second half of the month.

Now pregnant with second, kept doing physio and pilates etc between pregnancies and so far with this one. At 15 weeks starting to limp and struggle. Think it's been a bit better because I continued with pilates in first trimester with this one. Expecting crutches later though. Have been offered c-section for other reasons and although haven't decided yet, the benefits of a shorter pregnancy and no stirrups are persuading me. Also during last birth my mobile tailbone was partially dislocated and have not been able to sit easily since, so would avoid that.

whatsoever Tue 02-Apr-13 20:11:41

I got SPD late on in my pregnancy (just as the meralgia parasthetica that plagues the first 7.5 months went).

I was in hospital for a week after I had DS and it was pretty much gone by the time I got home.

glub Mon 01-Apr-13 22:56:31

i got spd with my second thanks to trudging round with a guitar. disappeared soon enough not to be a bother. hope yours clears up just fine!

Lily311 Sun 31-Mar-13 21:00:37

Straight away. Normal delivery but long labour.

Manchesterhistorygirl Sun 31-Mar-13 16:47:34

That's horrid for you. hmm Do you find the weather affects it too? I find in very cold and damp weather I'm in agony. Which means this winter has been super fun. <sarcastic face>

landofsoapandglory Sun 31-Mar-13 15:00:46

I am afraid to say mine has never gone away. DS2 is 16.3 now, so I have been suffering for the best part of 17 years! I have had to have major surgery three times on the front of my pelvis, and twice on my SI joints. I haven't been able to walk unaided since I was 19 weeks pregnant. About every 3 months I have multiple steroid injections into my pelvis under GA.

My pain always get worse when my period is due. Today is a particularly bad day for some reason, I haven't a clue why, but I am nearly in tears with the pain!sad

atrcts Sun 31-Mar-13 14:52:22

I have read that hormones influence the "relaxin" which is responsible for the SPD in pregnancy, and that many people report some mild symptoms around the menstrual cycle each month. Personally I only breastfed for 1 year and continued to have some SPD symptoms for another year after that, although to be fair it did reduce a bit more over time, until it finally went altogether.

If that's true (and I have no reason to doubt it is) then it makes sense that breastfeeding will influence the SPD-related hormones still, as it keeps the pregnancy type hormones going longer.

Manchesterhistorygirl Sun 31-Mar-13 14:42:03

Ds2 is 2.4 almost, I still struggle, some days worse than others, but no day totally pain free. I still bf. if I stop will it help? I also find it especially bad when my period is due.

I'm considering stopping bf and going back on the combined pill.

Jollyb Sun 31-Mar-13 14:38:52

Immediately. The pain from my CS scar was so much more bearable than the pain from my SPD. I felt like a new woman!

MiaowTheCat Sun 31-Mar-13 09:42:25

Almost immediately with my second birth (my first they were so stirrup happy they had my knees somewhere around my ears so I got left with long-term issues in my hips) - it reappeared a little bit after a few days of walking around on those very hard hospital ward floors but seems to be back under control again now.

MrsJaqenHgar Sun 31-Mar-13 09:30:00

Mine was much better after birth but it was only after I stopped BFing that I could kneel down/get up without pain. Now 9 months post birth and I can still hear it crunch occasionally when I turn over in bed and I had a bit if pain a few days ago caused by walking around in heels all day for the first time since before the birth.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now