Pubic bone pain after birth *tmi warning*

(8 Posts)
glorious Sun 17-Mar-13 16:33:55

Sorry if this is tmi. It's six weeks since I had DD. The birth was straightforward except she came out with her hand by her head and I have a second degree tear which was stiched. It feels fine and isn't sore to touch and neither is anything else.

But I get a deep pinching or splintering pain in my pubic bone when on the loo and the same pain but much worse when we tried to have sex. It's odd because it's in the opposite direction to the tear i.e. towards the front rather than the back, and feels deeper.

I've got my 6 week check soon so will try to be brave and mention it. But has anyone else had the same thing? Might everything still just be settling down or does it need looking at?

Thanks thanks thanks

mayhew Sun 17-Mar-13 16:41:10

The pelvic floor muscles are attached to the pubic bone. Maybe the attached bit got injured during the delivery. Bearing down to poo or the movement of sex could cause the pain. I would mention it at the check.

Soft tissue injuries usually do heal but a womens health physio might be able to advise and treat. Your GP can refer or you might be able to self-refer.

glorious Sun 17-Mar-13 17:38:13

Thanks mayhew that's helpful. I'll investigate the physio and have a chat with the gp.

atrcts Mon 18-Mar-13 08:10:33

I developed spd AFTER giving birth - didn't have any hint of it in pregnancy.

That is also a front-of-the-pelvis boney pain so you might have that? If so you'll definitely benefit from Physio.

glorious Mon 18-Mar-13 10:11:36

thanks atrcts I did wonder about that though do you think it would hurt more often in that case? Hope yours cleared up ok.

atrcts Wed 20-Mar-13 00:08:34

No, I am getting spd in this (my 2nd) pregnancy but didn't have it while carrying the first baby - only after actually giving birth.

This time I'm finding some days are better than others and I never know how it is going to be. After sex a few weeks ago I was in agony for 3 days and could barely shuffle along, but more recently it's been fine (using different positions). So it's a bit hit and miss and hard to predict.

I wish everyone's experience could be the same so there's no doubt for people like yourself! But it really does seem to widely differ from person to person - and even from pregnancy to pregnancy.

I just kept describing it as being "kicked by a horse" in the pubic bone but didn't get sciatica with it like some
people do. I had increased pain when trying to Hoover or mop, or when moving a box with my foot etc. at the beginning I was in agony every time I stood to change newborn baby's nappy and had to perch on a stool.

atrcts Wed 20-Mar-13 00:10:49

But it didn't occur until a few days or maybe a week after giving birth, which makes me wonder about your situation.

glorious Wed 20-Mar-13 16:41:55

Ok thanks, sounds like it really varies as you say. The GP did take me seriously and checked me over. She thinks it's from the tear but suggested giving it a while longer then going back if it hasn't improved. I will certainly do that if it doesn't and ask for a referral. It has really helped to know what the possibilities are, thanks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now