The Post-Episiotomy Poo...

(36 Posts)

Gave birth to my lovely little boy yesterday, was unfortunate to need a forceps delivery and have an episiotomy.

I have been to wee and it was not as bad as I was expecting!! But I have to know, I have to ask... How long until you went for a number two, and how much did it hurt?

Be honest, I want to be prepared!!

Coffee1Sugar Sat 16-Mar-13 18:11:54

Day after. It really hurt confused congrats on your baby!

PickleSarnie Sat 16-Mar-13 18:15:47

About three days later I think. Lactulose was my friend. It stopped me from being terrified about stitches exploding, insides falling out and other ridiculous and irrational fears.

Flisspaps Sat 16-Mar-13 18:17:39

That day I think. I'd had forceps with a spinal, and reacted to the drugs by way of an upset stomach sad was a relief to get to the loo to 'go' rather than going in the bed again as I couldn't feel anything blush

BitBewildered Sat 16-Mar-13 18:20:22

It took me a week after DC1 because of sheer fear! I wish I'd asked for help from the midwives/GP because getting constipated with stitches is Not Good!

After I had forceps delivery and episiotomy 2, I was much quicker at asking for Lactulose etc.

Honestly, go! It's better than the alternative grin!

Congratulations on your lovely newborn too.

zeldapinwheel Sat 16-Mar-13 18:22:25

It was a couple of days for me. I needed some lactulose due to the painkillers I was on. Hold a clean sanitary pad against your stitches if you're worried about them. It wasn't as painful as I was expecting it to be.

Coffee1Sugar Sat 16-Mar-13 18:22:57

Mw told me to drink hot water whilst on the loo and put a bowl of hot water in the loo. Steam on your bum makes you go. Really!

NatashaBee Sat 16-Mar-13 18:24:46

It wasn't very fun. Ask for Lactulose!

EmmaGellerGreen Sat 16-Mar-13 18:25:19

Day 5. The reality was not as bad as the fear but it wasn't great. But oh, how good did I feel afterwards!

EmmaGellerGreen Sat 16-Mar-13 18:25:19

Day 5. The reality was not as bad as the fear but it wasn't great. But oh, how good did I feel afterwards!

Flisspaps Sat 16-Mar-13 18:25:53

I've just remembered the first fortnight at home though...fucking ouch.

DanGleebals Sat 16-Mar-13 18:26:10

I had was given strong laxatives and painkillers after a forceps delivery so i was ok but the thought was very scary. Lactulose will definitely help and lots of juice and weetabix. Get it out of the way as soon as you can - I seem to remember being told that holding it in was bad (i had a very bad tear though). Congratulations on your baby, enjoy! In a week or so the poo fear will be a distant memory.

tutu100 Sat 16-Mar-13 18:28:19

Day 3 here and it wasn't as bad as I'd feared. I 2nd the advice of pressing a sanitary towel against your stitches. The midwife told me to do that and it really does stop you from feeling like your stitches are about to burst.

I didn't need latulose, but it will help soften things up so if it's more than a couple of days I would ask for some. Also if you are on painkillers sometimes they do have a tendency to make you constipated which is obviously what you want to avoid. My friend swore by eating dried apricots.

I am sure it will not be as bad as you think it will be.

UnexpectedItemInShaggingArea Sat 16-Mar-13 18:28:21

Forceps and episiotomy here too. 6 days, lactulose and DH holding baby with strict instructions not to bother me for at least an hour (57 minutes of getting courage up, 3 minutes to poo).

Sorry, TMI.

Congratulations on your lovely new baby smile

Jayne266 Sat 16-Mar-13 18:37:44

I think it was 2 days and I took lactulose as I was worried. Only advice is don't put it off if you feel like you need to go. And don't make it a rush it took 3 attempts for me. I kept reading shampoo bottles as its best not to think about it.

Congrats by the way x

BornToFolk Sat 16-Mar-13 18:43:06

Day 2 I think. I wanted to get it over and done with! Really not too bad but I did try to eat lots of fibre-y foods (loads of pears!) and drink lots of water.

Congratulations on the birth of your son!

AmandaPayneNeedsaHoliday Sat 16-Mar-13 19:16:41

Forceps here. Don't remember how long it was, but it was fine. I do remember being advised to hold a pad of toilet paper or maternity pad against the stitches, as putting the reverse pressure on it gave you the confidence to push without feeling like your insides were going to fall out!

CheungFun Sat 16-Mar-13 19:24:42

Congratulations on your new baby flowers

I had lots of stitches and a 3rd degree tear, but I listened to my Mums advice and drank plenty of water and ginger & lemon tea, and avoided junk food and went for the dreaded poo the next day! I was so nervous, but it was fine and didn't hurt I promise!

The tip about holding a sanitary towel against the stitches is good, I didn't know about that until I joined mumsnet after DS's birth grin

Another tip to help heal up quickly is to "air" your stitches. A couple of times a day, lie on a towel on your bed with your bits out and this will help you heal faster. My midwife told me this on day 10 as I wasn't healing up quickly and it did help.

Thanks to all! UnexpectedItemInShaggingArea your username and your post made me chuckle!!

Have just swigged a laxative solution, hoping it will sort out this whole business for me so I can stop worrying and start enjoying snuggling my gorgeous son!! Thanks again for all your advice smile

PastaBeeandCheese Sat 16-Mar-13 22:12:19

It was fine for me but wiping was sore. I'd recommend moist toilet tissue because it won't 'drag' on your stitches.

Congratulations BTW. smile

notyummy Sat 16-Mar-13 22:23:46

Congrats! I had dd on a Sunday via forceps and epi....and second delivery on Wednesday hmm. I had lots of water and dried fruit and used the sanitary towel trick. Was still in hospital and when DH arrived to take me home I remember it was the first thing I told him- I was so relieved and proud grin. It wasn't that bad.

About 6 days. After ventouse and episiotomy and loads of stitches. I was terrified. Just couldn't go. Was worried about getting constipated and also I had the midwife wagging a finger at me after visiting at home and saying that I really needed to go otherwise I'd have problems etc etc so I took some senokot or similar (herbal laxative). Worked like a dream! Not sure if you can take them if breastfeeding, I'd given up by day 5 unfortunately.

Result: I actually blocked the toilet and the midwife timed her arrival for the moment I was going downstairs afterwards with a relieved and triumphant smile on my face. I had to remind myself that she really did not want to hear "I've just done my poo!!" a big happy voice, even though I really felt like I deserved some kind of sticker for my "poo star chart".

grin

MirandaWest Sat 16-Mar-13 22:30:00

I had a suppository in hospital. I think it was when DS was 2 days old. Was glad I did.

CointreauVersial Sat 16-Mar-13 22:32:50

Four days. I remember holding a big pad of loo-paper against my stitches, and the midwife cheering when I told her the "deed" was done.blush

Bloody ages- it was like giving birth again, possibly worse (sorry). Glad to see this is a minority experience, though.

Just in case, though, drink lots of water- especially if breast feeding. I mean LOTS. I think that was largely where I went wrong. sad

(Oh, and the steam thing is true. It really helped.)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now