Can anyone tell me what the pushing stage feels like?

(112 Posts)
OhGood Fri 15-Mar-13 18:57:24

I had an epidural up for this bit with DD and so have no idea what it's like. I would love to hear anyone's experience.

Was there any change in pain levels from dilation to pushing? Was it any less painful, or more painful, or different pain? Did it feel more like pressure? With DD, I could feel pressure and feel her moving down and turning - did you feel that? And crowning?

Feeling very biscuit at the thought of going through this all again...

williaminajetfighter Sat 16-Mar-13 15:51:29

For me just getting to 10cm and the transition was dreadful. I was only on gas and air and tried a bit of pethidine (which made no difference). I thought contractions were going to be a crampy feeling but it felt, to me, like a really sharp stabby feeling. urgh.

Transition just felt like it was all getting too much. I never felt the urge to push which is odd as most people do. Midwife told me to start pushing and she was out in 3 pushes. I remember saying to the midwife - 'eek, this really stings' and then she was out. Probably a relatively easy labour as she was small (under 6 lbs). Can't imagine what would happen if I had to birth a 9 pounder!

PickledInAPearTree Sat 16-Mar-13 15:57:49

Like someone poking something up my bum. Not painful as such just a mad pressure and I turned a bit feral. I'd had nothing but 2 paracetamol though as the bastards sent me home the first time I went in. Not as bad as transitional phase for me.

PickledInAPearTree Sat 16-Mar-13 15:59:35

I had no ring of fire, I had a bum of death though.

Chocaholics Sat 16-Mar-13 16:11:46

I found the contractions much worse than pushing or crowning, they felt like someone was trying to squeeze me to death! Pushing didn't hurt at all as I couldn't feel the contraction and as both my DCs crowned I followed the midwifes advice. Felt like she was sliding the sides of my fanjo down the head although no idea if she was. To me crowning felt like a giant bowling ball in my groin, not exactly painful just loads of pressure and a desperate need to get the baby out.

MewlingQuim Sat 16-Mar-13 16:19:33

Pushing was like having an enormous poo.

MewlingQuim Sat 16-Mar-13 16:21:26

Actually, after spending most of my pregnancy constipated, it was a relief to have that enormous poo! grin

MewlingQuim Sat 16-Mar-13 16:23:05

Crowning -

Well OP biscuit sums it up really! grin

BigPigLittlePig Sat 16-Mar-13 18:09:04

OP I scoured this sort of thread before having dd 16 weeks ago. They made me alternately calm and shit scared. I suggest, when the terror gets too much, you search for "funny childbirth" stories. They will cheer you up no end grin

Poo again grin

Contractions like squeezy period pain, didnt find the pushing them out bit overly painful actually, just really uncomfortable. I'd liken it more to diarrhoea or vomiting than constipation though actually, that wavey cant-stop-it-its-coming-out-right-now feeling
And a big feeling of empty fanjo after they slipped out grin

RooneyMara Sat 16-Mar-13 18:25:08

I didn't notice it with ds1 as had a big ol' epidural top up just prior.

ds2 I was so scared and in so much pain I just thought I was going to break in half. I do remember the sensation that my body was just doing it whether I wanted it to or not - pushing up at the same time as down, from somewhere in the middle of my body. that's sometimes what makes people throw up, too - just the mechanics of it I think.
I was kneeling upright which must have helped.

ds3, I eventually got an epidural at about 8-9cm, so it hadn't stopped the pain but it had dimmed it - I could feel and notice all of it, I think I mentally logged it as I knew I'd never do it again.

And it did feel like doing a big poo. That was the only way I could think of to get him out - I knew he was right there, but thinking, Oh gosh, I actually have to strain like I'm pooing and someone's watching! - was weird. It worked though.

I think before that I was trying NOT to iyswim. It's not intuitive to poo in front of anyone. Just remember, that's what it feels like and so go with it. It will probably be easier and quicker if you can somehow stay upright as opposed to lying on your back.

I barely felt any pain with crowning - no ring of fire or anything like that - or indeed with anything else after I started pushing. For me transition is the worst bit and after that I'm laughing.

Sally40000 Sat 16-Mar-13 19:01:49

Its different if the baby is 180degrees, in this case more painful in second stage as the nose is pointing frontway, instead of back!!

Mandy21 Sat 16-Mar-13 19:25:52

For me, the actual pushing stage was a relief - meant I was nearly there. I have 3 children and I've never had the urge to push, I had to be told by the midwive that I needed to push and then follow her directions. I think contractions are far worse than the actual delivery. I do recall that with Number 3, I felt every movement in the birth canal and my contraction finished when her head was part way through, it really did feel like someone had put a bowling bowl up my vagina and wanted me to hold it there for 5 minutes hmm

bedmonster Sat 16-Mar-13 22:45:07

Oh dear. I have just read this entire thread and nodded along to everything. And have an overwhelming desire to have another confused.
The absolute truth is, no matter how much it hurts, and now loudly you scream that your fanny is on fire and you can't do it any more and you just want your mum (just me? blush), as soon as that slimy slippery body flops out, the whole world stops turning for a split second and you are in total awe. These endorphins whizz all around you and however drained you feel, you know that what you've just endured was completely worth it.

Xmasbaby11 Sat 16-Mar-13 23:22:04

I didn't get the whole rush when DD finally arrived - the whole experience was pure pain and far worse than I ever could have imagined. It was a long labour and DD was a 10 pounder. Thinking that it was 'worth it' doesn't mean anything because you don't really have any choice (unless offered c section which I wasn't). Of course it was worth it, but if there had been any other way I would have taken it.

abbyfromoz Sat 16-Mar-13 23:43:23

Well since you said you have experienced contraction pain you'll know what it's like but ime it felt like one of those cramps you get when you wake up in the middle of the night with your leg all twisted up and you are screaming and panicking like WTF?? Why is my leg all twisted up! Ahhh! Ahhh!! I want it to stop but i don't want to move or touch it because the pain is scary pain!!! (Ahh!ahh! And further ahh!).. Only not in your leg but your entire body resonating in the belly and nunee region and for longer and...more frequent...and gradually getting worse. When it came time to push i said i needed a poo and thats just what it felt like. Pushing took about 4 hours so that kinda sucked but during crowning it felt like burning for a minute...or an hour... it all just tends to fade away now (or i've blocked it out) although nothing compared to contraction pain (actually felt quite relieving). Took longer to get placenta out but that's another thread.

abbyfromoz Sat 16-Mar-13 23:44:22

Xmasbaby11- mine was a 10pounder too wink yay for us haha!

BoffinMum Sat 16-Mar-13 23:46:28

For me period pains x 10 plus the largest imaginable poo. Survivable. Did it four times!

colditz Sat 16-Mar-13 23:50:38

The biggest poo in the universe and cramps

mylovelymonster Sat 16-Mar-13 23:50:41

First labour can't comment as all a bit pear-shaped but turned out well.
Second time, didn't feel like I needed to push, but blew out hard on the strong contractions to not stop my body from naturally pushing, if that makes any sense at all. I didn't actually need to do any pushing but needed to stop tensing up and stopping it all going ahead - although it was all very quick this time so had to try to slow down a bit...
Sorry if not very helpful grin

colditz Sat 16-Mar-13 23:53:13

Plus it isn't a frightening pain. For most pains, you either don't know the cause and that's scary, or you do know the cause and it means there's something wrong! But with labour pains, all it means is that a baby's coming, so not a scary pain. A big pain, but not mysterious.

ScrambledSmegs Sat 16-Mar-13 23:53:47

I think my body took over. I remember a lot of pressure, which lessened significantly when my waters went. Then DD2 came along about a minute later! Very fast labour, I was trying to hold back (under orders) but it was incredibly difficult.

Yes, crowning stung a bit. However, I'd had a cannula put in as soon as I'd arrived at the birth centre, and that was absolutely the worst bit of labour. Especially as the first two attempts to get it in failed. Actually pushing the baby out (9lb 4oz) was a doddle in comparison.

margot1962 Sat 16-Mar-13 23:56:13

I had two natural births in the Netherlands (in Amsterdam) as they are very anti pain relief, or used to be. I had my first born in the bedroom, as the mid wife did not not turn up in time. Luckily all was fine, but the pregnancy yoga I'd done definitely helped, especially getting into comfortable positions: head down, bum up during contractions whilst waiting for someone to arrive to help, then getting into a crouching position to give birth. Get into a comfortable position and use gravity to help you. No-one should give birth lying down, unless there is a good medical reason!

janji Sat 16-Mar-13 23:56:30

Pushing was a relief and luckily very quick for me (only 10 mins). Body did its own thing even for crowning!

mylovelymonster Sat 16-Mar-13 23:56:31

For me it was more pressure than pain I think. Early labour way more painful in my experience, second stage remarkably functional and not so unbearably draggingly painful. I did the raspberry leaf tea for a few weeks before (37+) which may/may not have helped. Just one cup a day...................................baby dynamite.
You'll be fine - moving into the anxious gearing up for labour stage? Soon be there - try not to worry!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now