Alice Roberts' article today on evidence based childbirth (HB/MLU/hospital)

(261 Posts)
VinegarDrinker Sun 10-Mar-13 13:30:55

Not sure if this has been discussed elsewhere?

m.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2013/mar/10/alice-roberts-on-science-childbirth-risks

Seems a fairly balanced article to me, but I am an evil patriarchal obstetrician.

LaVolcan Wed 13-Mar-13 16:49:49

'In terms of the study' is a key phrase here. It doesn't mean it wasn't important in itself, just that they have to draw a line somewhere, otherwise they would still probably be collecting and analysing data now.

Chunderella Wed 13-Mar-13 17:48:16

No Shagmund it isn't good enough because you still don't get it. If you thought DV was irrelevant I would've hoped you'd at least have the honesty to say so, or just not post about it. Instead, you have tried to both respond and shirk the issue, posting confusion after irrelevance. Citing the lack of studies on hospital infection rates entirely fails to engage with my point, yet again. Your checking out now is only what I would expect after your several posts of total fail on the matter.

jchocchip Wed 13-Mar-13 19:46:48

Please can you stop being so mean Chunderella? Just because someone disagrees with you doesn't mean they are wrong.

Chunderella Wed 13-Mar-13 20:22:35

And just because someone holds a different view to you doesn't make them mean, or indeed wrong. Actually if I were you I'd steer clear of calling anyone mean: while it's easier than confronting privilege and othering, it sounds rather like a personal insult and we all know how MNHQ feel about those.

Shagmundfreud Wed 13-Mar-13 20:22:44

Chunderella doesn't bother me - she's on a hiding to make a massive beef out of fuck all.

Every proposed h/b for a low risk mum needs to be assessed in light of her specific circumstance, which will include whether she is subject to dV.

What more needs to be said?

Chunderella Wed 13-Mar-13 20:28:21

I thought you were going to check out, Shag. It seems not. Now that you have deigned to acknowledge that the safety of a woman's home is a factor to be taken into consideration and, by extension, that some women don't have safe homes, nothing. Took you long enough, but we got there in the end.

Shagmundfreud Wed 13-Mar-13 20:40:02

Chunderella - a woman at home will probably spend fewer hours labouring without a health professional present than the equivalent mother in hospital.

If DV is an issue to the point where the mother is not safe to labour in the presence of the partner then I'd say that birth setting is probably the least important issue.

jchocchip Wed 13-Mar-13 20:48:49

Its what you said about posts of total fail that I thought was mean. I thought mumsnet was a supportive place where people encouraged each other. Not belittling what others have to say if their opinions are not exactly what you sanction.

Chunderella Wed 13-Mar-13 21:08:49

Jchoc if you say posts are mean I think rules-wise you're fine, as that's about what someone's written. Whereas saying someone is being mean is about them as an individual. Regardless, as you're not applying the same standards to other people on this thread who have done exactly what you criticise me for, it becomes obvious that it's actually my ideas you object to.

Good to see you engage further with the DV issue Shagmund. I don't think we can categorically say birth setting is the least important issue though, it would depend a great deal on the individual woman and circumstances.

jchocchip Wed 13-Mar-13 22:40:34

Hang about I don't object to your ideas. Just the putting down of other people's.

Chunderella Thu 14-Mar-13 19:21:40

That's clearly not the case, though. Because others on this thread have stubbornly refused to agree with me just as I with them, and have been as dismissive of my views as I have of theirs. So if that were really what you objected to, you'd have said something to others too. Don't get me wrong, I have no problem with you disagreeing with me. but let's have no double standards.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now