How risky is a third c section??

(6 Posts)
Tranquilitybaby Sun 10-Mar-13 00:58:19

I just wondered which is safer a VBAC or third section both to mother and baby. Thinking ahead here but I'd be interested to know if anyone has more knowledge than me.

Thanks x

duchesse Sun 10-Mar-13 09:32:46

My sister's had five and according to the hospital where she had her last one, the risks associated don't change significantly from one to the next. The old advice about 2 and no more was more to do with the old-fashioned lengthways incision. Now that they do them horizontally on the bikini line there's much less risk of rupture etc...

I'm having my 5th section at the end of September. I asked the consultant if I should consider sterilisation now as surely more than 5 would be extremely risky. He said there was no upper limit as long as I wad healthy.
The risk with VBAC is that the womb could rupture in labour.

muddyin2013 Sun 10-Mar-13 09:52:30

I've had three ELCS and I haven't had many problems.

The only thing I do remember about my last CS, is there was scare tissue from the previous CS and it took longer to stitch me up.

I was advised during pg not to have any more DC as I would need another ELCS. I was sterilised when I had DD. I think this was to do with the build up of scare tissue.

determinedma Sun 10-Mar-13 09:53:16

Had 3 here and no problems

Tranquilitybaby Sun 10-Mar-13 23:38:09

Thanks everyone that's really reassuring to hear! X

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now