My unexpectedly speedy 2nd delivery!

(37 Posts)
cakesonatrain Tue 05-Mar-13 11:30:14

I just wanted to share, really.

DD was born v early this morning, after a short labour.
First contraction at 11pm, short and bearable, between 5 and 10 mins apart. At about 0045 I thought I'd best wake DH as they were a bit worse and some were less than 5 mins spacing. Took 2 paracetamol.
Rang labour ward, advised to have a bath and call back if contractions became 3-4 min spacing, nearer a.minute in length, or if I felt I wasn't coping.
So DH went to run a bath. A short while later, my waters went in pop-gush style, and I called out "I'm not coping!" Contractions suddenly 2 mins apart or less, and really bad. DH phoned labour ward, who advised 999.
DH was on the phone to the 999 operator for 17 minutes, in which time DD was born, cord removed from round neck, wrapped up and given to me for cuddles! I think I only pushed on purpose for 1 or 2 contractions, the rest of it just happened while I lay there, legs akimbo, and screamed! The paramedics didn't really have much to do when they arrived!
Toddler DS slept through the whole thing, which solved the slightly awkward childcare issue smile

Transfered to hospital, few stitches for me, home again by about 0815.

Really rather surreal experience, tbh.

Longfufu Tue 05-Mar-13 18:54:24

Congratulations x

Wearegoingtobedlehem Tue 05-Mar-13 21:34:12

Congratulations - sounds very similar to my second delivery, great hey grinsmile

nickelbabe Tue 05-Mar-13 21:42:12

i'd like to order one like that for number 2 please grin

congratulations thanks
now rest and get the midwife (dh) to run around after you.

cakesonatrain Tue 05-Mar-13 23:23:44

Sadly for everyone, midwife-DH has to go to work tomorrow sad
But luckily, my mum (who did actually used to be a midwife!) has come to stay, and assist with toddler-wrangling and visitor-tending duties smile

Nobody told me how bad the after-pains would be this time - they're worse than half my labour was!

Didn't you find it a bit scary, Wearegoingtobedlehem?

ajandjjmum Tue 05-Mar-13 23:38:12

Congratulations - and well done to you both!

BabyRoger Tue 05-Mar-13 23:42:31

Congratulations! My second labour was 1 hour 54 minutes. I agree, the after pains second time round are really bad!

MammaCici Wed 06-Mar-13 10:49:40

My eyes welled up reading that. A lovely birth story indeed! Congratulations!

cakesonatrain Wed 06-Mar-13 12:42:59

Aw, MammaCici smile

BabyRoger, that is quick!

greenhill Wed 06-Mar-13 12:55:24

Congratulations!

Wearegoingtobedlehem Wed 06-Mar-13 16:24:20

Cakesonatrain, I don't think I found it scary- I look back on with fondness!!

OpenMindedSceptic Wed 06-Mar-13 19:21:48

Amazing birth, congratulations!

cakesonatrain Wed 06-Mar-13 19:33:02

Ah, maybe in a few months/years I'll think fondly of it - yesterday morning is still a bit recent for fondness smile

I'm still not quite sure why I posted my story. I desperately wanted to share but didn't have anyone here to tell who didn't already have their own side of the story!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now