episiotomy 5 months ago now sex is very painful

(7 Posts)
MrsRambo Fri 01-Mar-13 20:49:03

I had an episiotomy and ventouse delivery and found sex painful for a long time. I gave it 10 months and went to see my Dr. She referred me to a consultant and I had a Fenton's procedure 2 months ago. Basically, the episiotomy had over-healed its self and this additional tissue growth was what was making sex painful. The procedure is quite straightforward. They basically 're-do' the episiotomy after removing the excess tissue. I had it done at our local day surgery unit under a general. Things are much better now! The consultant said I should have come forward earlier. I wish I had done so. Was too chicken!

I would go and get it checked out.

All the best.

AlohaMama Tue 26-Feb-13 06:45:15

After I was stitched up everything was very painful, so much so that I didn't want to try sex. Dh had a look and noticed that new tissue had grown a little across the opening iyswim. Went to dr and they just burnt the extra tissue off,(much less painful than it sounds) and things were much better after that. I'd still say it took 6 months before everything felt normal, but if its very painful get it checked to make sure everything has healed properly.

spekulatius Mon 25-Feb-13 22:22:42

I had an episiotomy and forceps 3 months ago, sex doesn't really hurt that much any more and I have never bled after. I would go to the GP. I did feel that the wound hadn't healed properly as it always stung when I peed and saw the GP. Got overgranulating tissue on episiotomy site which they are going to remove this Thursday, can't wait. GP told me that problems are common after episiotomy so I would get it checked.

Maebe Mon 25-Feb-13 14:26:16

I've not had an episiotomy so I don't know how that feels afterwards, but I had undiagnosed (and symptomless) thrush for months after I was pregnant that made sex very painful, I assumed it was just because I had 'fallen off the wagon', so to speak. Only discovered it when I went to the GPs to get the coil fitted and he almost winced... I just wanted to mention it as another possible reason. But definitely worth a check up just to make sure everything is ok.

MammaCici Mon 25-Feb-13 10:48:00

I didn't have the same symptoms or injuries as you but sex has slowly improved for us over 2 years since our first baby. I have a prolapse issue that I discovered about 18 months post partum. Sex didn't feel so good after the birth but gradually it got better. Still not as before though.
Perhaps you should seek out some medical advice since your symptoms sound so bad.
I'm pregnant again and my doctor wants to see me about my prolapse after my next birth. I didn't want them fiddling around down there while I was pregnant. I've read that your pelvic floor gradually improves for 2 years after birth. I think you should see a doctor about your problem sooner rather than later while your body is still healing.

cravingcake Mon 25-Feb-13 10:20:47

There's quite a few of us who have this, and other issues after episiotomy. Mine gets really painful in the lead up to my period, and my whole perineum hurts (I did have 4th degree tear though so a lot of stitching and repair work).

Time definitely does help, another few months and you may not even notice it. However, it would be worth mentioning it with your GP when you see them next if its affecting you a lot.

teachertrainer80 Mon 25-Feb-13 10:01:12

just that really. gave birth 5 months ago, had a small episiotomy and stitches and sex has been really painful since and i always bleed a bit afterwards. has anyone else had this? does it just get easier. any tips? only dtd about five times and i just want things back to normal (as does dh!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now