ZOMBIE THREAD ALERT: This thread hasn't been posted on for a while.

Favorite ways to start labour/ Tried and tested methods. ..

(14 Posts)
RachaelH1983 Mon 25-Feb-13 13:44:46

With my dd I was told by midwife to eat lots of fruit that will open your bowels. So I went off and brought pineapple, peaches abd plums ate loads, had a really hot bath, drank raspberry leaf tea and had a few spoonfulls of caster oil and that night my waters broke so def worked for me but everyone os different and I do believe babys will appear when they are ready !! 5 days after my waters broke + endless journeys to and from the hospital I had a emergency c-section due to us both having a infection my dd spent a week in special care + I was on a drip for 5 days so wasn't the ideal first birth but shouldn't of been left 5 days without any waters but the doctors/midwives insisted we would be fine + we wasn't. Everyone is different + all bodies work differently. I'm not sure if I would try and encourage it again I think I will let mother nature take its course however I have 10 weeks left + am booked in for a c-section so now encouraging labour for me !

chocosaurus Sun 24-Feb-13 19:40:14

I agree baby's come when they're ready. Thought someone might have an amusing self-iol story.

My strategy is to enjoy the peace and wait for nature. went naturally the first time so hope for the same this time.

ThedementedPenguin Sun 24-Feb-13 11:06:15

I had 3 sweeps, bounced on a birthing ball practically all day for 11 days, went on walks, ate hot curry, ate a lot of pineapple, had sex and I still was induced. He was too happy up there

inadreamworld Sat 23-Feb-13 22:14:59

Have a sweep - nothing else worked for me.

abigboydidit Sat 23-Feb-13 22:12:23

DC1 nothing worked! Tried reflexology which was v enjoyable but did nothing. He just wasn't ready. DC2 I had 2 sweeps & the 2nd one nailed it!

haloflo Sat 23-Feb-13 20:16:27

I also believe nothing works but I think my favourite method is the "have a small glass of wine and relax method"

Tinkerisdead Sat 23-Feb-13 20:13:23

Sex. I was 11 days overdue and did the deed. It was the most awkward hideous sex of my life. I then said "that better work! I wanna wake up at 4am in labour.

4am i woke in labour.

smile4me Sat 23-Feb-13 20:09:01

Sex grin with orgasm grin grin went into labour within an hour!

Gimmeechocolate Sat 23-Feb-13 20:08:25

Long walks, sex/orgasms smile

stargirl1701 Sat 23-Feb-13 20:03:01

Bouncing on a birth ball. Every day for 8 hours. I was very lucky - the Paralympics was on!

maxbear Sat 23-Feb-13 20:01:48

nipple stimulation (a lot of it, I basically just twiddled away all night long) and sex worked for me!

MammaCici Sat 23-Feb-13 18:44:52

My sister swears by eating a spicy curry. Worked twice for her.
But I don't think anything works unless you are actually ready though.
Sexual arousal and orgasms. Even if it doesn't work you can have fun trying!
I read somewhere before that pineapples are good, especially if you eat the core. I ate pineapple before DS was born. It's good for you so also a win win.

ThedementedPenguin Sat 23-Feb-13 18:12:07

I tried everything and nothing worked for me.

I wish I spent my last few days before induction resting rather than trying to force ds out

chocosaurus Sat 23-Feb-13 09:57:38

Had a quick search and glance through recent history but can't find a thread with favourite ways to get labour going.

With DC1 I swore by taking a long walk...

What's your tried and tested method of getting labour going? And are we kidding ourselves by even thinking it works???

BTW 39+1 so definite self interest here too!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now