Favorite ways to start labour/ Tried and tested methods. ..

(14 Posts)
chocosaurus Sat 23-Feb-13 09:57:38

Had a quick search and glance through recent history but can't find a thread with favourite ways to get labour going.

With DC1 I swore by taking a long walk...

What's your tried and tested method of getting labour going? And are we kidding ourselves by even thinking it works???

BTW 39+1 so definite self interest here too!

ThedementedPenguin Sat 23-Feb-13 18:12:07

I tried everything and nothing worked for me.

I wish I spent my last few days before induction resting rather than trying to force ds out

MammaCici Sat 23-Feb-13 18:44:52

My sister swears by eating a spicy curry. Worked twice for her.
But I don't think anything works unless you are actually ready though.
Sexual arousal and orgasms. Even if it doesn't work you can have fun trying!
I read somewhere before that pineapples are good, especially if you eat the core. I ate pineapple before DS was born. It's good for you so also a win win.

maxbear Sat 23-Feb-13 20:01:48

nipple stimulation (a lot of it, I basically just twiddled away all night long) and sex worked for me!

stargirl1701 Sat 23-Feb-13 20:03:01

Bouncing on a birth ball. Every day for 8 hours. I was very lucky - the Paralympics was on!

Gimmeechocolate Sat 23-Feb-13 20:08:25

Long walks, sex/orgasms smile

smile4me Sat 23-Feb-13 20:09:01

Sex grin with orgasm grin grin went into labour within an hour!

Sex. I was 11 days overdue and did the deed. It was the most awkward hideous sex of my life. I then said "that better work! I wanna wake up at 4am in labour.

4am i woke in labour.

haloflo Sat 23-Feb-13 20:16:27

I also believe nothing works but I think my favourite method is the "have a small glass of wine and relax method"

abigboydidit Sat 23-Feb-13 22:12:23

DC1 nothing worked! Tried reflexology which was v enjoyable but did nothing. He just wasn't ready. DC2 I had 2 sweeps & the 2nd one nailed it!

inadreamworld Sat 23-Feb-13 22:14:59

Have a sweep - nothing else worked for me.

ThedementedPenguin Sun 24-Feb-13 11:06:15

I had 3 sweeps, bounced on a birthing ball practically all day for 11 days, went on walks, ate hot curry, ate a lot of pineapple, had sex and I still was induced. He was too happy up there

chocosaurus Sun 24-Feb-13 19:40:14

I agree baby's come when they're ready. Thought someone might have an amusing self-iol story.

My strategy is to enjoy the peace and wait for nature. went naturally the first time so hope for the same this time.

RachaelH1983 Mon 25-Feb-13 13:44:46

With my dd I was told by midwife to eat lots of fruit that will open your bowels. So I went off and brought pineapple, peaches abd plums ate loads, had a really hot bath, drank raspberry leaf tea and had a few spoonfulls of caster oil and that night my waters broke so def worked for me but everyone os different and I do believe babys will appear when they are ready !! 5 days after my waters broke + endless journeys to and from the hospital I had a emergency c-section due to us both having a infection my dd spent a week in special care + I was on a drip for 5 days so wasn't the ideal first birth but shouldn't of been left 5 days without any waters but the doctors/midwives insisted we would be fine + we wasn't. Everyone is different + all bodies work differently. I'm not sure if I would try and encourage it again I think I will let mother nature take its course however I have 10 weeks left + am booked in for a c-section so now encouraging labour for me !

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now