ELCS booked but option for epidural instead?

(30 Posts)
Fluffeh Sat 16-Feb-13 13:12:15

Hi,
Since before I got pregnant it was agreed I would need an ELCS to deliver as its unsafe for me to push during birth as it will increase my intracranial pressure. Because its already too high it would jeopardise the small amount of sight I have left if it was raised higher for any amount of time.
I'd got my head around this and although its not ideal ELCS was the only option I thought I had. On Thursday we had a meeting with the consultant anesthetist. She discussed ELCS and then told us about another option she had been discussing with a neuro (not my personal one but one she regards quite highly). They think an epidural would be another option.
She said they would do the epi from the minute I arrived at delivery suite and ensure it was strong enough so that I didn't feel any urge to push at all. Once baby had made her way down low enough they could assist her with forceps or ventouse.
I feel tempted to go via this route as recovery, in theory, should be quicker and easier meaning I'm not such a burden on DP in the very early days after the birth. And breastfeeding should be easier too.
Although I am really tempted I'm also a little worried about forceps. I've read horror stories about forcep assisted births and the damage they can cause.
So I don't see my mw again until Tuesday and I was really hoping for some opinions and/or experiences of either birth from others here.
If this was your choice which would you rather go for? Are there any risks I should worry about with either that I may not have thought of?
Thank you so much in advance if you can help smile btw I'm 30 weeks pg.
Although this may all be speculation as the anesthetist thinks they might have trouble placing an epidural or a spinal block and if they do then it would need to be cs under general anesthetic, which for me is the scariest option that I'd really, really like to try and avoid.

Fluffeh Fri 01-Mar-13 17:42:34

Thanks for the replies.
I saw my consultant yesterday and she said that she doesn't think ventouse would be an option as it requires far too much pushing so if I did choose a normal birth it would be forceps. But she went on to say even that would need 3 big pushes from me and if the baby still wasn't out they'd swap to a cs.
The chances of a first baby being out after just 3 pushes are not very high so I'm going to opt for the ELCS. It seems rather futile to attempt a normal birth with forceps if they'll probably have to swap to a cs anyway.
I'm going to see her again at my next growth scan in a couple of weeks with my final decision, which will be ELCS, I'm sure now. And then she's going to write the birth plan in both my handheld and pink notes and book the date.
I'm not looking forward to the recovery but I can have DP here as long as I need him home so I guess I'm in a better position than some.
Thank you for all your input and advice smile.

gillian88 Fri 01-Mar-13 17:49:38

I had an elcs due to intracranial hypertension 6 months ago. It was calm, quick and I can't speak highly enough of it! The anethisist wasn't happy about using a spinal block on me because of the condition and wanted me under general anaesthetic at first which I strongly didn't want, however he spoke to the anethisist above him who said it wouldn't be a problem, so I was fully awake with the spinal. It was fantastic.

Fluffeh Fri 01-Mar-13 18:05:57

Thanks gillian. My anethetist thinks the spinal will be safer on me than others as even if I get the leak it'll help more than hinder haha!
I'm glad yours went well smile.

gillian88 Fri 01-Mar-13 19:03:14

Yes, that's what I thought, the first anethisist said he would be very wary about putting a needle in my spine because of it, but they are happy enough doing it when I needed the dreaded lumbar puncture!! It will all be fine, I have had an emergency section before under GA and recovery time was much slower. With a planned section, I had dd on the Friday morning, could shuffle about the bed that night, the next day got catheter out and was able to walk to bathroom and get showered and could get out of bed relatively easy enough. Got home the next day and DH had forgot to get food in so I made him drive me down to tesco and I got the shopping in lol. Was driving about 4 weeks later although felt ready much sooner.

Fluffeh Sat 02-Mar-13 06:04:37

Oh wow that sounds like a speedy recovery. Hopefully I'll recover just as quick smile.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now