Having your mum with you when you're in labour. Personally I can't imagine anything less helpful!

(85 Posts)
TepidCoffee Thu 14-Feb-13 17:26:11

But it seems the norm? (based on extensive viewing of OBEM).

Don't get me wrong, I love my DM dearly, but she worries so much and I find it stressful. Plus I would hate the idea of giving her an eyeful <boak>. I'm an awful prude grin.

exexpat Sun 17-Feb-13 10:30:03

I was 6,000 miles from home when I had both mine, and didn't even tell my mother when I was in labour because she would just have been constantly worrying for however many hours it took.

If she had actually been in the room I would probably have felt obliged to spend the whole time reassuring her that I was fine and it didn't hurt at all, really... (she's an anxious sort)

dondon33 Sun 17-Feb-13 13:17:12

catching shockangry How bloody ignorant and inconsiderate.

charlee that made me laugh, I can just imagine her thinking 'I'll have a quick pop in now BEFORE the nitty gritty starts' smile Oopsies!

fromwesttoeast Sun 17-Feb-13 13:51:13

My mum has been there every time. She was happy to help. My DH did not want to be there. Much too scary for him. That suited me too. I wouldn't want him to be forced to see me in pain.

fromwesttoeast Sun 17-Feb-13 13:52:27

Had my last one in late 30s, so not a youngster!!!

Newmum2013 Mon 18-Feb-13 03:04:58

I plan on having my mum and dh at the birth. We are very close and I wouldn't want it any other way xx

notnagging Mon 18-Feb-13 03:22:08

No way! Mine was so annoying with my first one. I had to send her out. She kept telling me to calm down. She's still upset I'm sure but my mum has away of turning everything round to her, even labour!

ZuleikaJambiere Mon 18-Feb-13 03:49:05

My Mum was on stand by for DC2 as DH had to go away for 3 days at 37 weeks. I did everything in my power not to go into labour during that time so she wouldn't be needed. As it was, she rang me about 4 hours after DH had left to tell me she'd left her mobile at a friends and wouldn't be getting it back for 2 days, and not to try her on the landline as she was going out so wouldn't answer. Really reliable!

However she was a marvel on our first day at home both times. Whereas DH and I were both shell shocked in that 'oh my god, we have a baby, how did that happen' way, Mum was practical. Came round and made sandwiches, ran me a bath, loaded the washing machine and then went away again. We wouldn't have achieved any of that!

dotcomlovenest Mon 18-Feb-13 10:02:22

I feel sorry for dp's when mums are there on obem. They tend to hover around getting side lined by the mum. Which makes perfect sense if their dd is in pain and they are being a bit naff at first. I always think that given the opportunity men will step up to the mark in suppprting their partners. If the opportunity does not arise then why would they if they think all their partners needs are being met by someone eles. I didn't have my mum there and wouldn't for any subsequent births. I think dp would be a bit insulted if I suggested it.

duchesse Mon 18-Feb-13 10:17:57

I can't imagine that any of my labours would have been helped by the presence of my mother. In fact my sister had our mother as a birth partner and really wished she hadn't. My mother has an uncanny knack of always making everything about her.

MadBusLady Mon 18-Feb-13 12:26:10

My mum can be a right snarky cowbag and we're sometimes not particularly close, but I would absolutely want her to have my back in labour. She can crush medical staff with a single look.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now