Circumcision

(177 Posts)
leannac Mon 11-Feb-13 13:20:45

Anyone know how you go about getting baby boy circumcised? Do the midwives offer to arrange it when he's born or is it sonething you go to gp for?

SirBoobAlot Fri 15-Feb-13 17:04:41

What's the fuss? It's not their body. Why the hell should they have the right to decide to remove a body part because they don't like it?!

Any unnecessary cosmetic bullshit that kills babies every single year is something to make a fuss about.

MrsMushroom Fri 15-Feb-13 13:00:51

rhianna 'minding them' should NOT include chopping bits off. Bits that are needed! My DH resents his parents hugely for doing this to him. His penis does not work as well as it should in terms of sex OR masturbation. This is due to a big fuck off piece of it being missing.

It's made his penis over sensitive.

atacareercrossroads Fri 15-Feb-13 12:50:50

"People are free to do what they want"
"What is the fuss?"

So as Seeker and I have said above, what is your stance is we wanted to cut our kids limbs off to save them the pain and suffering of breaking them, getting nail infections, athletes foot etc etc, Thats ok is it? After all, people can choose what they how to live their lives (which is a bloody daft statement when referring to circumcision as the male doesnt get HIS choice in the matter) and shouldn't be challenged because its their belief innit hmm

Some beliefs condone the ritual sacrifice of children who they believe to be possessed by demons. Thats alright aswell? good stuff.

Rhianna1980 Fri 15-Feb-13 12:30:57

I haven't circumcised my kids but I am lucky enough to be brought up in a multicultural family to learn tolerance of other people's views on the things. People are free to do what they want. It is not illegal here and done on the NHS in some areas in the UK. What is the fuss? Each mum and dad can mind their own boys' willies for the time being until the laws change and it becomes illegal.

ScumbagCollegeDropout Fri 15-Feb-13 12:10:32

Rhianna may I ask why you decided to circumcise your son/s if not for religious or medical reasons?

Rhianna1980 Fri 15-Feb-13 10:02:18

Xenia your post is bordering on racist here and adds no value to the circumcision argument.
So your mum thinks that the reason of all these laws are there because of the desert hot conditions Judaism started from? I'm not a Jew , never been to Palestine/Israel where judaism started yet I am lucky enough to be educated and know that these places are far from being deserts. How ignorant of ur mum and yourself. The heat never stopped Muslims or Jews from consuming meats as even in the old times they knew how to preserve foods from heat in the summer. The prohibition of pork is because of other reasons rather than just the hot weather as ur mum claims. Go and research it .
People can choose what they want to eat and how to live their lives , stop feeling threatened by them .

Xenia Fri 15-Feb-13 09:29:32

My mother who could be rather wise said the Jews and Muslims invented those rules about circumcisim and many o the diet rules based on desert conditions, hot countries and the like (pork and sea food etc go off in heat). What was appropriate 2000 years ago in deserts is not justified now in London or New York. English boys are luckier as most boys are not subjected to this in the UK so it is pretty rare to see someone who is. American boys are still routinely mutilated in this way without their express consent.

atacareercrossroads Fri 15-Feb-13 08:48:07

If wiping wasn't enough vaginas and penises would be falling off all over the place.

Wiping not enough, heard it all now grin

SirBoobAlot Fri 15-Feb-13 08:38:49

Of course it's enough, along with normal washing / showering. Don't be a tit. The foreskin if left in place has the same PH neutralizing bacteria as the vagina. Same as douching isn't needed, wiping an intact penis is fine.

Namely Fri 15-Feb-13 08:18:59

So why is wiping bums and fanjos enough? Maybe girls should have them smoothed out so there aren't any nooks and crannies either! And yes, I am aware that crannies rhymes with fannies. <childish>

Bunbaker Fri 15-Feb-13 08:12:24

"Wiping is not enough"

Isn't it. Are doctors' waiting rooms full of uncircumcised men with infections? I don't think so.

Rhianna1980 Fri 15-Feb-13 00:04:47

Not changing the subject but Many people take about genital hygiene here as a solution to this controversial argument . Wiping the willy is not enough to stay clean after using the toilet. would you wipe your hand with a napkin if you accidentally touch wee or poo ? Ofcourse not ! You would properly wash. Having lived In another country where bidets are the norm in all bathrooms I bet up that on average the bum and front of a person who uses a bidet every time they use the toilet is cleaner than that of a person who doesn't
Circumcision or not . Wiping is not enough .

SirBoobAlot Thu 14-Feb-13 19:28:54

If anyone is casually asking about mutilating their child, I think the correct answer is "don't be a twat" not, "Sure, use this guy!", like you do discussing hair dressers.

atacareercrossroads Thu 14-Feb-13 17:12:00

having a child out of wedlock (really?) does not cause physical needless pain

HTH

Oh sorry you meant 'bad' analogy, not 'by' analogy, damn autocorrect eh?

seeker Thu 14-Feb-13 17:02:07

Why isn't it relevant? Would you say it was my choice to cut the tip off my child's finger?

SamG76 Thu 14-Feb-13 16:47:32

It's not relevant. Similarly, I don't ask Muslims what they would do if the laws of Ramadhan said that you weren't allowed to eat at all for 30 days (rather than just during hours of daylight). Islam, like Judaism, has a common law, and if the rules caused serious problems to large numbers of people, they would have been adapted. I'm very touched that you're concerned about the fate of my kids, and vast numbers of others across the world, but I'm sure there are worthier subjects for your concern....

seeker Thu 14-Feb-13 16:30:05

Having a child out of wedlock (you quaint old fashioned thing) does not involve cutting a piece of them off.

I repeat. What if I told you that my religion required me to cut the very tip off my baby's little finger? What would you say to me?

SamG76 Thu 14-Feb-13 16:24:37

Because (reppeats for the hard of hearing) OP could have asked "I'm thinking of having, eg, a brit", and canvassed opinions. If I recall, plenty of people have asked exactly that question, but OP didn't, so suggesting she wasn't interested in your views on the subject. By analogy, I might think that having children out of wedlock is a bad idea, and cruel to the child, but if I provided this view unrequested to every single parent who posted, I would rightly be considered a prat.

seeker Thu 14-Feb-13 16:02:07

And if the OP had said "my religion says that I have to cut the very tip off my baby's little finger, who can I get to do it for me, please" we wouldn't be allowed to tell her it was barbaric and wicked? Why is it different for a penis?

CheerfulYank Thu 14-Feb-13 15:56:56

Unfortunately in some parts of America it is "different" for men who are uncirc'd. Actually, mostly for boys who have to change in the locker room in school. I know someone whose son told her he hated her for not having it done to him sad anbd went on to have it done as a teen.

My DS is circumcised. I didn't want it done, but the pediatrician was quite firm, I was in the midst of a terrible depression and exhausted from giving birth.

Any future DS's will not be circ'd but tbh I am very worried about it as they'll definitely be in the minority.

SamG76 Thu 14-Feb-13 15:56:47

The unanswered question, for those who struggle with the "scroll up" button, was "how to I go about getting it done". A few answered it, but not many.

I don't think OP was asking for general views on the subject. Similarly, if someone lived with their DP and was having DC4 in the Easington area, I think she should be entitled to ask for tips on the local hospitals without having to listen to views on (1) living in Durham generally (2) the benefits of marriage (3) overpopulation generally (4) the advantages of homebirths, etc....

seeker Thu 14-Feb-13 15:42:11

"Let me know what life is like without a backside! seriously, though, what form will this demonisation take? My sons have been circ'ed as will any future ones. What would you propose? should we be locked up now? Who'll fund the prison building scheme?"

You would no doubt be prosecuted for grievous bodily harm if you deliberately cut the tip off your new born's finger. The same law could, and should apply to circumcision.

seeker Thu 14-Feb-13 15:40:25

Sorry, I didn't realize the unanswered question was "who can I get to perform needless surgery on my un consenting new born baby." Not really surprising it's largely unanswered, is it?

seeker Thu 14-Feb-13 15:38:28

What is self righteous about objecting to a child being put through pain for no reason at all?

I'll check back for the unanswered question- hang on.

atacareercrossroads Thu 14-Feb-13 15:01:32

I am self righteous about babies being out through pain and having bits of them cut off without medical reason. I make no apologies for that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now