Circumcision

(177 Posts)
leannac Mon 11-Feb-13 13:20:45

Anyone know how you go about getting baby boy circumcised? Do the midwives offer to arrange it when he's born or is it sonething you go to gp for?

scaevola Mon 11-Feb-13 13:28:27

No, it would not be offered on NHS in UK unless there is medical need (and that is unlikely to emerge until well into boyhood).

If it is for religious reasons, contact your community leader for advice on how it is arranged. If you just want it done, then you'd probably be best off self-referring to a private clinic.

Snusmumriken Mon 11-Feb-13 13:37:59

Why would you want to circumcise a baby?

ImpatientOne Mon 11-Feb-13 13:44:30

I believe it can be NHS funded in some cases/PCTs without medical need. There is a big push here in the NW for people to go through hospital or GP since the very recent conviction of a private nurse following a baby's death sad

leannac Mon 11-Feb-13 14:19:24

It's not a religious thing, hence why I don't know how to go about it as all friends who have had it done did so with rabbi etc. We just want to do it as my husband is Australian & there its done almost automatically for hygiene reasons plus there's no solid facts basis to back this up but we used to live in Africa & for years all drs passing through would try to educate locals that circumcision helped to reduce the risk of certain infections etc so I guess between that & the fact that its automatic in other first world countries makes me want to do it. But I do want to do it early as I've heard the sooner you do it the better

squishyotter Mon 11-Feb-13 14:26:23

You're talking about mutilating your baby boy's genitals! What's wrong with you?

Circumcision is not neccessary for good hygeine, look at it this way: would you consider having his fingers removed to prevent viruses/bacteria getting stuck underneath fingernails? How about removing his ears to stop a build up of earwax? Of course not! You encourage good, regular washing techniques as a parent, you don't have bits chopped off because they get dirty.

peeriebear Mon 11-Feb-13 14:27:13

Your son is perfect as he is.

KobayashiMaru Mon 11-Feb-13 14:28:13

no, you can't just lop a bit off your baby with no good reason in the UK, thankfully, its a civilised country. hmm

noblegiraffe Mon 11-Feb-13 14:30:13

You want to cut a bit of your son's penis off because your husband is Australian?

shock

pashapasta Mon 11-Feb-13 14:31:09

Why do you want to mutilate your child, your baby? If it was better for males to be circumcised, surely the human species would have evolved that way.

pashapasta Mon 11-Feb-13 14:31:09

Why do you want to mutilate your child, your baby? If it was better for males to be circumcised, surely the human species would have evolved that way.

scaevola Mon 11-Feb-13 14:31:55

Non-therapeutic infant circumcision is no longer provided in public hospitals in New South Wales, Tasmania, Western Australia, Victoria, and South Australia, and the circumcision rate %age is in the low teens. You might want to do some more research.

can he not just use good hygiene practices and practice safe sex when older in order to keep himself clean and healthy? No need to go removing parts of his body instead.

EuroShagmore Mon 11-Feb-13 14:38:14

This thread will not go well.

FWIW I agree with all the comments above. It's a bodily mutilation to which your baby is incapable of consenting. Unless there are health reasons for doing so, please don't.

OutragedFromLeeds Mon 11-Feb-13 14:38:41

'You want to cut a bit of your son's penis off because your husband is Australian?'

grin brilliant

Seriously, OP do some research before you lop off a bit of your baby's penis.

Badvoc Mon 11-Feb-13 14:43:20

Why would you do this?

amirah85 Mon 11-Feb-13 14:43:30

is usually not sone on the NHS,we did our son at a GP practice,the GP had training in circumcision,but u need to pay.where r u?

PandaWatch Mon 11-Feb-13 14:45:44

OP if you do want to get your baby circumcised I would recommend trying to get in touch with someone in your local Jewish community for advice (probably best off approaching someone who works in more of a community rather than religious sphere). From what I understand, it's pretty common for rabbis in the UK who perform circumcisions to now also be medically qualified. My SiL is Jewish and had her baby circumcised by a rabbi who is also a medical professional and carries out circumcisions for medical as well as religious reasons. People in his position will be very experienced and also have the medical knowledge to limit chances of infection etc. Please be really, really careful who you get to do it, for obvious reasons.

And expect to get massively flamed on here for asking. It's an incredibly emotive topic.

Why, just why mutilate a natural part of your newborn son?

chesticles Mon 11-Feb-13 14:51:54

You'll not get it done on the NHS. You'll have to go private and even then you might struggle to find a doctor willing to do it. I looked into it for my son, but decided not to in the end. You can PM me if you want. Cirumcision threads are always contentious

Fairylea Mon 11-Feb-13 14:51:59

No boy should have a part of his penis cut off unless it is absolutely medically necessary.

You do not have a medical reason. Your baby should not be circumcised.

I have a ds who is now 7 months and I ended up in tears when they did the heel prick test on him. I can't understand any mother allowing a routine circumcision. It's totally barbaric.

toffeelolly Mon 11-Feb-13 14:54:11

Never would do this to my little boy, if he was born with foreskin you should leave well alone , unless for med reason's that he had to have it done. Why do this when he does not have to have it done!

MrsHoarder Mon 11-Feb-13 15:16:26

I suspect you get the gist by now, here's the NHS page explaining circumcision. Apparently some PCTs do fund it (probably in Manchester).

If you are going to get it done please go to your GP and ask help finding a proper clinic which does it, don't risk ending up like this family.

ScumbagCollegeDropout Mon 11-Feb-13 15:21:28

What? It's not routinally done in Australia you muppet biscuit

amirah85 Mon 11-Feb-13 15:25:50

i agree thats very important to have it done in a proper place,not at home or at someone's place on top of a shop or something

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now