3/5 engaged- what does that actually mean?

(6 Posts)
Marcheline Fri 08-Feb-13 16:49:45

Sorry, not sure I actually answered your question - I think being engaged is more significant for first babies, if that makes sense.

Not sure I'm any help at all but I do hope that your baby arrives soon and safely smile

Marcheline Fri 08-Feb-13 16:47:56

I think that 3/5 means that they could 'feel' 3/5 of the head, so actually 2/5 of the head is in your pelvis (I think!)

I'm 38 weeks pregnant with DD2 and she was 3/5 two weeks ago, then 4/5 today - so she actually has come back out a bit (fairly common with second babies I think, and in fact a second baby may not engage until during labour from what I understand).

I'm really trying not to feel disheartened as finding pregnancy hard this time around and desperate for her to be born, but trying to take comfort in the fact that she could realistically appear at any time ignoring the fact that DD1 was 11 days late

Greywacke Fri 08-Feb-13 11:43:36

Good luck, hope baby gives you a bit more time but equally doesn't leave you waiting too long!

Wiggy29 Fri 08-Feb-13 11:38:43

Grey- thanks for that. Hoping little buba won't come early so that's reassuring.

Greywacke Fri 08-Feb-13 11:30:43

Anyone's guess, mine was engaged from 36 weeks and finally arrived at 41 weeks.

Wiggy29 Fri 08-Feb-13 11:26:11

The midwife mentioned this (I'm 38wks) and I get the logistics (as in the baby's head is three fifths down) but what does that mean? Does this mean the baby is likely to come soon or is it still anyone's guess? This is my second child.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now