Anyone else waiting for labour?!

(263 Posts)
hugahuddy Thu 31-Jan-13 08:37:05

Hello
I'm 39+4 with first baby and am poised waiting for labour to kick in any time this week or next week. Just wondered if anyone else was foot taping waiting for their bundle of joy to fill the crib?!! confused
Also any thoughts on whether swimming still ok?! Am trying to keep busy but would hate for waters to break in a public pool shock

PickledInAPearTree Wed 13-Feb-13 19:18:07

Oh god! That's why I said no to anything but my dr was a bit more gung ho.

Have you got a bunch or one big?

PickledInAPearTree Wed 13-Feb-13 19:19:10

What anesthetic did he give you? Ill be after some if its good. I have uniroid cream.

bangersmashandbeans Wed 13-Feb-13 19:47:32

I have two small ones which aren't a problem and one that's the size of a plum blush (when the doc examined me earlier he said 'cor blimey that's a beast'!!) He's given me Xyloproct so I'll let you know if it helps. He says its stronger than the local anaesthetic he uses for minor surgery.

PickledInAPearTree Wed 13-Feb-13 22:12:16

Shit! Thanks for telling me the name ill be asking for that next week.

This thing feels about the size of half my thumb? It's a big un but not in your league, but it's growing and throbbing..

Hopefully that will stop it hurting!

Sorry everyone for the pile hijacking!

mmmmsleep Thu 14-Feb-13 08:12:31

Right had enough. Only 39 weeks but these braxton hicks and being too uncomfortable to sleep are getting to me....i know the sleep may not exactly improve after but i do remember sleeping better once ds was out than in. These hourly bladder wake up calls are getting on my nerves as are dd headbutting my cervix in a rather rude and painful manner. Woke up at one point last night dreaming i was crowningsad

LimeLeafLizard Thu 14-Feb-13 08:27:54

Oh I've missed loads. 40+6 here and still nothing. Going to see the MW today and ask if I can have another sweep. I'm totally disillusioned as to their effectiveness but it doesn't hurt to have another go.

I have a stinking cold and feel really sorry for myself. Like mmmsleep I am not getting much sleep either which makes everything seem more annoying.

Coming on here makes me grateful not to have any loitering Barrys though... ouch. Hope your docs continue to be supportive ladies and that you get some comfort from the medicine.

NAR4 Thu 14-Feb-13 09:11:02

Lime I have all my hopes pinned on having a sweep today and it starting labour off. Hope your second one works. Like you I have a terrible cold and it has just gone on and on. Beginning to think it won't clear now until I have had the baby. I think you are right and the lack of sleep does make everything worse. Think it will be better once baby is born and then remember night feeds and not so sure. DD had got this cold as well and is also teething, so currently waking up several times a night crying. She will only settle, sleeping in my arms, so not sure how that is going to work once baby is born, unless she is suddenly feeling much better.

Cupcakemummy85 Thu 14-Feb-13 11:20:06

Started contacting this morning at 4 put tenns machine on, all looked promising and many hours later nothing! I didn't know this could happen. Feeling bit deflated. Hope everyone else has better luck than me smile

Cupcakemummy85 Thu 14-Feb-13 11:23:16

Well actually, I'm having contractions still buT they are very very very at apart and short sad what is going on?!

LimeLeafLizard Thu 14-Feb-13 11:30:19

Cupcake could be the start of something? (ok, a slow start!) Or just your body warming up. Either way a good sign, hope they get stronger soon!

NAR sounds like we're in the same boat then. I feel like I've been ill constantly this winter, and the DCs are taking it in turn to be ill too. DS1 and 3 both have the cold. DS1 is ok - Calpol and off to school as he's not too bad, but DS3 is like your DD - really unsettled at night.

I just want the baby out and to be well again! At least it isn't so cold today.

NAR4 Thu 14-Feb-13 14:24:43

What time is your sweep Lime? Mine isn't until 4pm.

Someone on another thread suggested Lavendar oil in a nice warm bath and a relax after the sweep, can help. Won't be able to do that until after work tonight (about 10pm) and all the DCs are in bed, but sounds much nicer than other old wives tales, so will give it a try late tonight.

PickledInAPearTree Thu 14-Feb-13 14:52:28

Good luck with your sweeps, NARS it will help your cold for sure, being pregnant increases your mucous ice had a blocked nose on and off for months waking up with horrible sore lips and a mouth like the bottom of a budgies cage. Good luck.

NAR4 Thu 14-Feb-13 15:14:45

Thanks Pickled, hopefully I will be able to update tomorrow after I get home with my new baby (wishfull thinking).

PickledInAPearTree Thu 14-Feb-13 16:55:08

Have your sweeps been done now?

Cupcakemummy85 Thu 14-Feb-13 16:56:55

Yes I hope it is the start of it lime. I've been contracting all day and I'm climbing the walls it's getting so painful now. How long will a hospital love u contracting like this. It's horrible!! I have a tens machine on and all it is doing is making my back feel weird. Lol

PickledInAPearTree Thu 14-Feb-13 16:58:12

How long in between Cup? They say 5 mins but if the pain is too bad just call them and go in, its your second things can move fast.

Good Luck!

NAR4 Thu 14-Feb-13 17:13:44

Very exciting Cupcake, not long now.

I just got back from the midwife, she says my cervix are central, thined and very favourable. She said I was 3cm already and the sweep was easy to perform, which she says is a good sign. Midwife said if it is going to do anything then it will happen within the next 24 hours. Either way she said she would be very surprised to see me at 41 weeks. Lets hope she is right.

Limeleaf how did your sweep go?

PickledInAPearTree Thu 14-Feb-13 17:17:13

Thats brilliant news NARS.

Really hope this is it!

Cupcakemummy85 Thu 14-Feb-13 17:26:55

Wow nars that's great!! 3cm already and without even trying, perfect! I've called them up as I was litreally on all fours in the kitchen doing dd dinner. I'm an emotional wreck about not putting dd to bed tonight (control freak!!!!) but the midwife is going to examin me and see if I'm dilated and give me some pain relief. The contractions are around 5-6 mins each. I'd love to discover that I'm really dilate and I have a super high pain threshold. That would b perfect. If also like to sneeze the baby out too if possible lol

GreenOlives Thu 14-Feb-13 17:50:52

Hello ladies, mind if I join you? Im only 38+4 but I really want to have this baby soon!! I have spd which is getting worse every day but my main problem is Percy Pile and friends which are wedged between my bum cheeks and causing mucho pain! Having been using over the counter creams with no improvement and im wondering whether its worth a trip to docs? Had anybody had any luck with prescription treatments? I have a DS already (4.8) and he was a difficult birth -forceps/shoulder dystocia after a 44hr labour. He weighed 10lbs and his head circ was off the chart! shock
This one is looking on the large side too so I start having sweeps from next Mon (39+1) in the hope we can get things moving. If no joy with that then I have an ELCS booked for 4th March (41+1) but I really can't wait that long!!
Fingers crossed to those of you with encouraging signs - may your births be sneeze like (and soon!) grin

bangersmashandbeans Thu 14-Feb-13 19:15:46

You go girls!! Think we'll have a few more babies before the week is our!
Welcome greenolives - you're not alone with your mate Percy. It's thoroughly bloody miserable and I'm afraid it'll only get worse after delivery sad

bangersmashandbeans Thu 14-Feb-13 20:06:41

Sorry greenolives just re read my comment and realised it was less than helpful! I've been to the doc several times pre and post birth and the best prescription ones are those containing hydrocortisone - not to be used long term in pregnancy but as you are so close i would def see the doc as nothing over the counter worked for me.

LimeLeafLizard Thu 14-Feb-13 20:53:01

Welcome Olives. Poor you with spd and percy to contend with. Hope you get an easier birth this time.

Cupcake, sounds promising! Good luck tonight!

My sweep didn't go as well as yours, NAR. Still about 2cm, (same as last time), middle, softish, but not nearly effaced enough to be optimistic about having any effect. MW asked me if I wanted her to ring the hospital about having the induction tomorrow instead of waiting till Saturday and as they now have space, I'm going to go in.

Might check in tomorrow morning, otherwise will post back when I have some news!

PickledInAPearTree Thu 14-Feb-13 21:17:47

Hi green! Barry says hi to Percy!

Don't worry bangers it's best to know.

I've been having cramps tonight, got ds baby sitter on an amber alert.

Any more news?

After this is over we need to set up a Bum Support thread it does help to know other people are in the same horrible boat!

PickledInAPearTree Thu 14-Feb-13 21:18:46

Oh olives mine has def been a little better since the dr gave me steroid cream.. It's not smaller but hurts less.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now