Anyone else waiting for labour?!

(263 Posts)
hugahuddy Thu 31-Jan-13 08:37:05

Hello
I'm 39+4 with first baby and am poised waiting for labour to kick in any time this week or next week. Just wondered if anyone else was foot taping waiting for their bundle of joy to fill the crib?!! confused
Also any thoughts on whether swimming still ok?! Am trying to keep busy but would hate for waters to break in a public pool shock

Panzee Mon 11-Feb-13 14:50:48

Hello! I'm 40+1 and hoping for VBAC too. Got lots of Braxton Hicks but that's about all.

ImGoingToCountToThree Mon 11-Feb-13 15:06:30

NARS our hospital induce at 12 days over. I would like a e tea couple of days but I'm thinking the same as you, I would be a nervous wreck, I already break out in a sweat if I haven't felt it move for 20 mins.

Pickled you sound very uncomfortable, have you got one of those ring cushions you could sit on? Take the pressure of a bit maybe.

Just been for a very cold and windy walk for a hour, some very strong tightenings and lots of very sharp cervix type pain....took my breath away a couple of times.

CackleALot Mon 11-Feb-13 15:53:51

Thanks for the welcome ladies smile

There are a few of us on here hoping for vbac smile

Nar - all sounds very frustrating, having all the signs but nothing happening.

I too am getting really sharp pains down below and immense pressure pushing down if I walk any distance.

OH totally refusing to 'dtd' as he says it freaks him out being so close to due date! grin

I've only had one week of maternity leave and bored already (nesting has not set in so no motivation to clean in this house!). How's everyone else passing their time?

LimeLeafLizard Mon 11-Feb-13 16:26:49

Pickled do you think the stabbing pains could be contractions? Or are they in the wrong place?

NAR I was exactly the same with DC3, loads of signs (BH, backache, period pain etc) for weeks and still was 11 days over - it is very annoying indeed. Hope your sweep helps. They usually induce at 10-12 days over in our hospital. I asked to wait with DC1 and he was born 14 days over, this time I'm booked for IOL at 40 +8 due to previous big baby.

As to what to do to pass the time - well one thing about being a SAHM is no maternity leave! So I am doing my normal routine of school runs / toddler groups / cooking / washing and fitting in coffee with friends to cheer me up! All the school mums have been great this time - cheering me on without piling on the pressure.

NAR4 Tue 12-Feb-13 09:07:47

Limeleaf I had a big baby (for me, 8lb 4oz) 2nd time around, which got stuck and because of this they induced me on my due date with my 3rd. That was a different hospital and this one won't induce earlier because of a possible big baby. Last baby, my waters broke but no contractions, so was only 2 days past due date when induced and she was still 7lb 14oz.

I'm mostly a SAHM since my fourth child, so like limeleaf am just carrying on as normal, although rather fed up confirming baby still hasn't been born. I stopped childminding last week and stop youth work on my due date (14th), so hoping I won't have much time to be bored.

Stuck in at the moment though because DD and me both have the most disgusting cold, which we got from a child who had been taken to toddler group, after being sent home from school sick. Others mothers can be so thoughtless sometimes!

Sorry, winge over. Get popping everyone!

clarelou13 Tue 12-Feb-13 10:18:43

Thanks for the welcome smile Just checking in, still no sign of baby here, although only 39 weeks today. But like lots of other ladies, body is teasing me with signs that labour is imminent. Im too now on 2nd week of mat leave and already climbing the walls, especially as stuck at home with no car at moment.

PickledInAPearTree Tue 12-Feb-13 11:20:37

How can you all get out and about?

I can't walk far I feel an enormous pressure down below! Been in for a out 2 weeks now so going slowly bonkers.

Been to GP about this pile it's ginormous and got some cream.

Very very miserable today!

Cupcakemummy85 Tue 12-Feb-13 13:25:40

I feel ur pain pickled!! I really do!! I'm doing the bare minimum of getting out and about at the moment. Still going to groups but taking someone with me to do all the running around lol.
Had second sweep today, not much happening. Midwife said if nothing happens we book my induction on Saturday sad

PickledInAPearTree Tue 12-Feb-13 13:28:20

What you actually get induced on Saturday CupCake?

Cupcakemummy85 Tue 12-Feb-13 13:40:38

No, I have1 more sweep and then they book me in. Really sucks cause I wanted the whole experience of going into labour naturally. The baby didnt move much on Sunday and mw said if that happens again then I have to b induced immediately.
I was wondering actually if anyone has had a water birth cause I would really really love one. My dh thinks I'm mad and should just have an epidural like last time but I only needed that cause of my blood pressure.

PickledInAPearTree Tue 12-Feb-13 13:43:11

Aw fingers crossed for you.. Im going to the MW on Friday and if nothings happened will discus sweeps etc it would be ideal for me to go into labour over the weekend in terms of getting someone to mind DS however this means of course it wont happen!

Cupcakemummy85 Tue 12-Feb-13 18:31:17

Fingers crossed for you too pickled. I seem to keep leaking and it's not like the Hollywood gush if water I had before so I'm not sure f it's my waters or wee lol. I called the hospital and he said its either waters or jelly from the sweep ( don't see how jelly could leak through a panty liner). so not sure what's going on. Was told to put a pad on and let them know what's on it. I don't want to have to go in to hospital and out again, I'm far too tired lol

NAR4 Wed 13-Feb-13 09:11:31

Should get it checked Cupcake. My waters broke with my fourth and it wasn't a gush, just a slow trickle, like I was leaking wee. Didn't go into labour though, so still had to be induced. If it is your waters, there is a risk of infection and they normally only like to leave you 24 hours or so before inducing labour.

hugahuddy Wed 13-Feb-13 15:10:23

Well i met the midwife on Tuesday at 41 +2, I said I didn't want sweep if possible, she was great and said I didn't have too but need to be booked for induction. Booked for Sunday, should have been Friday but was 'lucky' to have a couple more days as the hospital packed. Was teary yesterday and keep telling myself to man up, so long as little one ok it's all good but a far cry from the home water birth we'd hoped for!! Debating asking for sweep tomorrow or Friday as last hope of natural start.

Bored bored bored at home. Have come to Asda for a walk around!! Some mild cramping and very heavy feeling down there but no bh or anything....harrumph confused

NAR4 Wed 13-Feb-13 15:41:39

There is still time for you to go into labour yourself hugahuddy. Good luck.

hugahuddy Wed 13-Feb-13 16:12:08

Thanks nar. Sounds like your very busy with other dc! Might seem odd me moaning about being bored!!

Any advice about bringing on labour?! Done curry, staying active and Dtd, any others?!

PickledInAPearTree Wed 13-Feb-13 16:17:50

If probably give the sweep a go if your really keen on a water birth, worth a shot?

No sign yet NARS?

bangersmashandbeans Wed 13-Feb-13 16:21:56

I'd agree with giving a sweep a go. It can just assist tipping you over the edge into labour. I was induced with my first (all ok but horrendously quick which was scary) and had a sweep with DS born on Saturday. Sweep done Thursday and went into labour naturally Friday afternoon. I'd definitely consider it. Good luck all!

PickledInAPearTree Wed 13-Feb-13 16:23:30

I'm seeing the mw Friday. How are your unwelcome visitors bangers? I think mine might be heading to thrombosis too.

And how is the new addition? grin

bangersmashandbeans Wed 13-Feb-13 16:52:29

New addition is just perfect thanks pickled. Unwelcome visitors are very bad though. I'm pretty much completely immobile - can stagger to the kitchen or bathroom but have to lie down the rest of the time. Feeding baby is very hard as I can't sit down. Have spent most of today in tears because the pain is so bad. Yet another docs appt booked for an hours time and they are going to look at lancing it. Petrified but honestly can't see how it can get worse sad Bad news if yours are heading that way too. Have they got a blue-ish tinge to them?

NAR4 Wed 13-Feb-13 17:19:15

No labour yet pickled.

Hugahuddy lots of old wives tales;

walking
bouncing on the birthing ball
hot bath and relax
sex (the sperm and the orgasm are both meant to help)
LOTS of pineapple (about 7 fresh ones)
hot curry
cod liver oil and orange juice (although I have heard this can be dangerous)
Clary Sage oil
pressure points (you can google where these are)
nipple stimulation
acupuncture
cod liver capsules to soften cervix
hula hoop on the Wii fit (suggestion from my last midwife)
cuddling a newborn (the happy hormones are meant to start labour)

Don't think any of them work (or nobody would need hospital inductions) but gives you something to focus on and pass some time, just working your way through them.

Bangers your bum grapes sound truely horrific and I feel very lucky not to have them. Hope the Dr can work some miracle for you and ease your pain. ave you tried frozen witch hazel pads to help with the discomfort a little?

PickledInAPearTree Wed 13-Feb-13 17:26:24

Oh no bangers! Mine are bright red but I can't sit and struggle to walk too I'm going straight to drs after baby is born.

I got some steroid cream and I'm going to order a ring cushion too. Have you got one of those?

Dr told me he would lance it if its like this after.

bangersmashandbeans Wed 13-Feb-13 17:38:43

Your doc sounds better than mine pickled. My doc says they don't advise using the rings anymore but whatever makes you comfy!!

PickledInAPearTree Wed 13-Feb-13 18:48:30

Oh do you know why not? I'm sick of lying down!!

My dr was lovely but I didn't want to do much till after as I was hoping it might get better but I think that's just wishful thinking!

bangersmashandbeans Wed 13-Feb-13 19:16:29

It's something to do with gravity making them worse I think? Just got back and didn't get lanced! He said I would need to go on anti biotics which would affect breastfeeding, there is a huge risk of infection, I would bleed for 6 weeks, and basically he would strongly advise against it! He's given me a decent local anaesthetic and reckons massaging it (urgh) will help it right itself. God I hope so!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now