Do all babies 'go quiet' just before labour?

(6 Posts)
atrcts Thu 31-Jan-13 15:00:52

I also heard that a baby goes quiet before being born, and I don't know if there is any truth in that.

But what I can say with full certainty is that my baby stopped moving two days before giving birth and I called the midwife who sent me in for monitoring.

I have tried all the usual tricks to get him moving like a warm bath cold drink stroking the stomach and loud music, but nothing worked at all.

An ultrasound scan confirmed that the movements were abnormally quiet but they could not find a reason. They also monitored the baby's heartbeat but they couldn't find anything significant so they sent me home to come back the next day for further monitoring.

There had been no change overnight so when I went in to be monitored again they told me that the unit was quiet and offered to break my waters and see what happens. I was due to be induced in two days time anyway, so I agreed. I am so glad that I did because when they broke the waters there was loads of meconium showing that the baby was in distress after all.

I ended up on a drip, trying to give birth naturally, but ended with a forceps delivery because his heartbeat shows that he was too distressed to continue and needed to be delivered urgently.

I am pretty sure that this is the reason he is alive today! However we didn't go down the other road so I can't prove that to be true. What I would say though, is that any quiet movements should be dealt with as suspicious and nobody minds monitoring your baby if the movement have changed.

Not wanting to alarm anyone, I have heard horror stories about people to buy a foetal heartbeat monitor and rely on that to diagnose that a baby who isn't moving is safe and well, rather than seek professional advice, with disastrous consequences.

Of course there must be situations where baby movements are quiet and they are safe and well, so as I say I don't want to unnecessarily alarm, but all I can say is that I was thankful that I had been monitored and that the outcome which ended up being semi-emergency was a good one. I question whether had I waited another day or two that the outcome would have been so good. Very best of luck to you.

DoItToJulia Thu 31-Jan-13 13:41:29

No, no, no.

Get monitored if movements have gone quiet.

MrsHBaby3 Thu 31-Jan-13 13:38:43

yes they do quieten as they're saving energy for the big day, but it shouldnt stop completely even in 'proper' labour

Jenny123G Sun 27-Jan-13 20:43:49

Thanks for that. I did wonder, all slowed down my end to almost nothing so maybe it's not time yet.

TaggieCampbellBlack Sun 27-Jan-13 20:17:23

No. Ifit is quiter than usual it needs monitoring.
It is a dangerous myth that they 'go quiet

Good luck!!!!!!!'

Jenny123G Sun 27-Jan-13 20:13:33

Just out of curiosity and your experiences do all babies movements reduce in the immediate run up to labour?
Not 100% but looks like I may be in early stages but my baby is more active than usual!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now