Managing on your own with baby - first night after ELCS

(28 Posts)
HaveIThoughtThisThrough Sun 27-Jan-13 15:13:09

Due to a spinal condition I expect to have an ELCS with my first baby (I'm now 4w + 5 after 2 mc's so early days). I understand that my local hospital (Pembury) only has individual en suite rooms which sounds lovely except all visitors have to leave by 8:30pm (until 8am) and I have no experience with newborns at all. Naively, I'd assumed that my DH would be able to stay in an individual room with me but that's not the case.

The thought of being a few hours post-surgery and then to be left in sole charge of a brand new baby overnight with next to no clue what I'm doing and with limited mobility has given me pause for thought. I know medical staff will be around but I imagine it won't be the same as a ward environment.

I was wondering how other mums coped on their own on the first night after EMCS/ELCS, especially those who had a single room or who have given birth at the Pembury (Kent).

Many thanks

nicelyneurotic Mon 04-Feb-13 11:34:18

If you have a private room they may turn a blind eye and let him stay.

I was in a bit of a state after giving birth and although the hospital had a similar policy they were very nice and let my husband stay in the room as long as he didn't come out/wander around the ward.

I was grateful as couldn't sit up let alone pick up baby so he had to do everything! If not I'm sure you'll get lots of help from the midwives.

I've had 3 sections, 1st emergency then 2 ELCS. I stayed in 2 nights with 1st and 3rd and 3 nights with 2nd. It really isn't (usually - you always hear the odd horror story) that big a deal, I was never really in any pain. ELCS are usually done early, so you should be feeling fairly OK by 8.30pm when visiting hours are over. After all of mine I was mobile (as in able to walk around) after about 6 hours, after 1st one they took catheter out then and I was able to have a shower unassisted at that point, but by 2nd and 3rd the rules had changed and catheter had to stay in for 12 hrs which was a pain, but I could still walk around with it a bit - enough to get in and out of bed and get the baby. For the first 5 to 6 hours or so you stay on the recovery ward and are very closely monitored and helped. I was then taken to a CS ward - 6 of us who had had either sections or difficult assisted deliveries, meaning I think that more help was on hand. This was the NHS and it's fair to say the nurses were not massively helpful, but they did come (rather grumpily!) when I buzzed to help get DD1 out of the bassinet etc. It is a huge shock that first night alone with a baby - I had no clue what I was meant to be doing, not sure the CS made much difference to that though. I soon realised that getting the baby in and out of the bassinet was way too hard and buzzing constantly was a pain so I kept the babies in bed with me (although I'm not sure that is recommended).

TransatlanticCityGirl Fri 15-Feb-13 22:40:29

I had an EMCS, and had no trouble with mobility afterwards. I took it easy because that's what I was told to do. But looking after DD on my own was no issue physically. I could have used some emotional support however.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now