Latest reviews on London's private maternity doctors 2013

(14 Posts)
blondecat Thu 31-Jan-13 09:21:13

I had nick wales at c&w and was very happy
Lindo wing was closed at the time

Babybano Wed 30-Jan-13 13:20:29

Thanks Squiby, I have decided to go with Dr Guy Thorpe Beeston, i think he works with dr Miskry and Dr miskry will be away, any recent opinions about dr Guy TB?

squiby2004 Tue 29-Jan-13 21:55:50

I delivered under Miskry. A really lovely man with a fab bedside manner!! I can wholeheartedly recommend him smile

Babybano Mon 28-Jan-13 21:48:09

Thanks VickyU that's very helpful indeed especially since my consultant is also listed.

VickyU Mon 28-Jan-13 12:28:43

Sorry for the delay in replying. I now have the Tatler booklet next to me. I think the link given to you above only included obstetricians covered by a particular insurance company. The list in the actual booklet is:
Dr. Gubby Ayida - Chelsea and Westminster
Dr. Sailesh Kumar - Queen Charlotte's (this is who I have chosen)
Dr. Karl Murphy - London Maternity Centre
Dr. Tiong Teoh - Lindo Wing
Guy Thorpe - Beeston - Portland/Chelsea and Westminster

Hope that helps!

Babybano Mon 28-Jan-13 08:41:37

Thank you again for ur input but I don't live in England and will only be traveling in my 31st week so don't have the luxury of the tours as everything has to decided so early. I appreciate all ur input.

ghislaine Sun 27-Jan-13 21:54:30

I agree you should go and visit the units to get a sense of their ethos. Even if you have a consultant-led birth, you will be interacting a lot with the unit midwives if only post-natally so it makes sense to get some idea of their approach. Also some units have different facilities eg nurseries which you may love or hate the idea of.

Lostonthemoors Sun 27-Jan-13 21:40:54

Might help to tell you about my decision making process. I wanted a water birth on gas and air with an experienced mw who was keen to help me labour naturally. I wanted excellent post natal care. I originally chose J&L for my first pg, but they then closed, I went to the L Wing and then sadly mc.

For my second pg I didn't go for the LW, as I felt they were very pro epidural - availability of epidural was mentioned many times on the tour, but the option of trying not to use pain relief wasn't. They don't have pools and I wasn't convinced they had many women who wanted the type of birth I wanted, so wasn't sure the mw there would be great at supporting me.

If I had gone private I would have gone with Oteng Ntim at St Thomases, as he does offer what I wanted.

I wanted the security of knowing an NHS intensive care unit was in the same building if the worst happened.

I think a lot of it is about personality fit - some drs will be loved by one patient but hated by another, but all are probably highly skilled. If you do searches on past MN threads you can get a flavour of personality.

helenlouisey Sun 27-Jan-13 20:41:04

The last can be found here

http://www.bmihealthcare.co.uk/tatler

Babybano Sun 27-Jan-13 18:13:46

Whose on the Tatler list it's not showing up on the search engines.

Babybano Sun 27-Jan-13 17:48:02

Thanks for the input, this is my first and don't really know what I want as in ELCS or normal. Leaning towards normal but with epidural. Emailed a few docs only heard back from Beeston so far. Post natal care is always an important concern. Just needed more info to finalise the doc and hospital.

Lostonthemoors Sat 26-Jan-13 20:37:22

Baby a lot depends on what you want. Are you having an elcs? Do you think you want a natural mw led delivery with minimum intervention. Do you want fast guaranteed access to epidural, or are you more bothered about the postnatal care. Is it dc 1?

I did the LW tour but then mc and they treated me. Miskry was a great consultant and subsequently someone else on here had him for a.n care and thought he was wonderful.

VickyU Sat 26-Jan-13 20:25:48

People are going to lambast me for saying this but Tatler did a best private doctors 2013 supplement this month with a section for obstetricians. I would never normally buy Tatler but I bought it for that and found it helpful!

Babybano Sat 26-Jan-13 19:13:32

Been looking for information on Londons private maternity hospitals, including Portland, St Mary Lindo Wing, Chelsea & Westminsiter etc. Also whose a good experienced doctor to use? The list provided previously contains a few repititive names but most date back to 2006. I need more up to date information please. Is it Murphy, Lakasing, Thorpe Beeston's,Miskry, Khullar, Price, Duncan, Mellon, Penn, OBrien? My preference for Lindo wing as part of NHS. Any and all comments welcome.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now